1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Getting a new phone. Have some android questions

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Yetitrician, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Yetitrician

Yetitrician Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone.

I will be buying a new phone. I am looking at the Galaxy S4. I will be buying it outright so there are options. I HATE bloatware on phones but I like the layered experience offered by the manufactures i.e. HTC sense, and Touchwiz. I was thinking about getting the 32gb unlocked version.

I have had my HTC thunderbolt since release and it is time to upgrade I have not rooted it so i am not very savy about that stuff, not to say i wont try it.

My goal is to get a new phone and be able to delete the bloatware off of it, if i cant oh well i guess. I just need a new phone. Is there hope?

thanks

2. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

There is hope, but only a little...
    Some will depend on who your provider is, but generally speaking, just about everything is going to have some degree of bloatware. Verizon seems to be the worst about this, but I think just about all providers do it to some degree. The only exception seems to be the "Nexus" branded devices- Samsung Galaxy Nexus, LG Nexus 4, etc, which are required to run pure Android with no overlays and no bloatware.
    The other solution is to get the phone that you want and then root it to meet your needs. Personally, I can't stand Touchwiz, Blur and the other various manufacturer overlays, so when I'm eligible in a month, I plan on picking up an S4 and then rooting it and installing a new ROM based on pure Android without Touchwiz.

Yetitrician likes this.
  3. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

Actually there is a pure Android version of the HTC One, and the Galaxy S4 which will contain nothing but pure Android, no bloat ware, in fact nothing but the operating system as I understand it. They are calling it the Nexus experience. So you will be supported by Google like with a Nexus, and get each version of Android on day 1. But you will get none of the feature software you would otherwise get with the Galaxy s4.

So you will miss out on any of the extra software from Samsung you did want, but if you want not of it, or are happy to trade a few things you did want for no bloat ware at all it's probably for you.

You can't get them on a plan though, I think you get them from the play store, and I'm not sure it's anywhare but in the US at the moment. But if they are not out now they are not far away.

Hope that helps.

Yetitrician likes this.
  4. tweak4

tweak4 Loaded Pockets

Correct, but they may or may not be an option, depending on your carrier. Personally, I'm on Verizon and neither of them will work there, so I put them out of mind ;)
    Rooting and installing a new ROM should result in basically the same thing.
    As far as the extra software, the vast majority of it is crap (like the Blockbuster app that we couldn't remove from my wife's S3). Anything that isn't garbage, you'll either be able to download directly from the Play Store, or get another app that fills the same role.

Yetitrician likes this.
  5. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I have the S3 and bloat ware can get removed if you root the phone. So root the S4 then apply a theme of your choosing and read what the developer of that theme removed as far as bloat ware.
    Make sure to get Titanium Backup + Root it has a lot of useful features.

6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Google is offering the S4 and HTC One with vanilla android. But they're not LTE phones so you're stuck with ATT/T-mob and their MVNOs.

This route has it's ups and downs as not all the hardware is supported in vanilla android. But it's still a good experience according to CNET: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-galaxy-s4-google/4505-6452_7-35761621.html

I always end up Rooting and ROMming but if you want vanilla android from the start, that's a good beginning.

7. Tom Slick

Tom Slick Empty Pockets

Yep, bloatware sucks. I have a Galaxy S3 and one of the first things I did when I got it was rooted it and installed the Cyanogenmod custom ROM. If you decide to go that route, be sure that you read up on how to do it properly. I've found that the XDA developers forum is a great resource for information on rooting and custom ROMs.

kd7dvd likes this.
  8. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Google announced the other day that all owners of the S4 or HTC One will be able to get the Nexus ROM, no matter what carrier.

9. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

They actually are LTE phones... Considering I have the HTC One X, and some coworkers have both, were all on LTE.

10. Yetitrician

So to ask for a clear answer. How do I have a S4 with the Samsung layer without the crap ware like blockbuster?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

11. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

You can't.

You can a) get the Nexus version of the S4 or b) get the version from your carrier with whatever they choose to put on it. That being said, since you want the Samsung rom you are stuck with option b. You will either have to uninstall everything, or unlock the phone and put a custom rom on it. Lots of roms exist that will keep it looking like a stock Samsung phone though.

Yetitrician likes this.
  12. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 for Cyanogenmod. It's a stable, fairly conservative rebuild from original Google sources, without bloat and without crippleware. Also get the ClockworkMod recovery bootloader. And like Tom says, read, read, read...
    www.cyanogenmod.org

Yetitrician likes this.
  13. Yetitrician

Ok I think I know what I'll do

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

14. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

15. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

The Google Play editions are very close to "stock" Android, but it's not all good news.

For example, on Anandtech's comparison of the Google Play and normal carrier editions of the Galaxy S3 and HTC One, the Google Play editions are actually behind in many benchmarks compared to the "bloated" carrier editions. The manufacturers have made lots of customizations on the phones which won't be in the Google Play edition.

For the same reason, the "generic" browser shipped in many phones is considerably faster than Chrome, since the former is tweaked for that specific phone.

OP has Verizon anyway, so can't get the Google Play editions unless switching to another carrier.

16. Yams

Yams Loaded Pockets

Get a Nexus 4. Not only is it contract-free at $300.00, its pure android so there is no bloatware and yo get the latest updates immediately. Freedom is a beautiful thing.

17. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Another option for you might be the Motorola 'Moto X' once they're released. Since Google bought Motorola they have a manufacturer in-house and with it, are supposedly releasing a less bloatware loaded phone.

18. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Reviews are already out - the Moto X is a mixed bag. It has mid-tier hardware, but with software / usability tweaks, like an always-on microphone (so you can say "OK Google Now" and it always responds), light-up notifications, and some other user-focused enhancements.

Supposedly the battery life is great, but most reviewers are too lazy to actually find out. It's glossed over with "it lasts the whole day and more!" without any real description of their use pattern or actual numbers.

It's also priced like a flagship phone, $200+ on a two year contract.

19. Yetitrician

I ended up getting a unlocked 32gb s4. Love it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

20. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

It's decent equipment, not a screamer processor, but the OP wanted something with less bloatware and the latest Android, without rooting. I'm thinking about replacing my Bionic with the X myself.