1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber's mystery steel no longer a mystery!

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by KravenTheHunter, Jan 16, 2016.

1. KravenTheHunter

KravenTheHunter Loaded Pockets

Was browsing Gerbers site a few minutes ago and saw they listed the steel used in my MT. The same stuff as leatherman. I have the same MT as the link and love it. Now they just need to list the HRC! Anyway thought I'd share.

2. KravenTheHunter

Tried to include the link, but I get an error saying the domain hasn't been placed on the approved list. Oh well. Gerber lists that they use 420HC on their MP600s on Gerber's website.

Ross2187 likes this.
  3. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

I have a leatherman wave, which I love. But I admit the gerber mp600 has been calling my name! EDC started for me with the gerber evo tanto.. My gf (now my fiance) had one, and I fell it love with it! Obviously her too.. But gerber has always had a soft spot in my heart because of that little knife.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  4. KravenTheHunter

I know the feeling. My EDC began with a Victorinox classic when I was 8 years old. My first full-fledged multi was a Gerber MP 400 I bought in 2001 when I was 16. I carried it on my belt every day for 14 years until I lost it in a move last year. I'm still greiving that loss. A MP600 bladeless took it's place and it is as every bit as good as my first, minus the nostalgic sentimentality.

5. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

Not sure how gerber can sell anything since leatherman exists... I guess the price? Having had a bunch of gerbers and leathermans I certainly can see the quality difference. I guess to each is own.

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Leatherman blades are 420? I recall mine being 154cm.... did they cheap out on that?

7. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Some are 154cm. It depends on the model. The skeletool is junk steel, but the skeletool cx is 154cm.

Also, I can definitely see how Gerber still exists. It's cheaper. And leatherman quality isn't better, except for certain models.

My skeletool cx is a good tool. It's just insanely annoying that the pliers aren't sprung. So, I guess it's an okay tool.

The wingman, OTOH, feels like a knockoff piece of junk. It's bad steel, a mediocre design, a weird set of tools, and in need of maintenance straight out of the box.

Gerber exists because leatherman is just as bad at making affordable MTs. Honestly, the Gerber tool I have is hands down better than my leathermans in every way but weight.

I haven't bought one because I haven't felt the need yet, but my leathermans sold me on a multitasker over a RUT. No questions. I don't even care if there's a price difference.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

8. KravenTheHunter

Blade steels aside, the rest of Leatherman's multi are comprised of 420HC..unless you have titanium or aluminum scales. Yeah, Leatherman makes a fine product and it shows in their sales and fanbase. I work with a guy that carries 5 on his person (juice cs4, wingman, supertool 300, a Leatherman folder, and the Leatherman caribiner) and a surge in his bag. Everything is impressive except the wingman.

Gerber still exists because they still have some good products. The 600 series, the shard, the dime, the EAB and a few others are quality products IMHO. I like Gerber because none of the Gerber products I've owned have ever let me down. How many people can say they toted the same multitool for 14 years every day, used it hard, and never had anything break on it?

SurivStud and Corgi like this.
  9. Corgi

Corgi EDC Junkie

1+ on the Shard.

10. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

The Dime is great, if you get one that's well-built. It's a $20 gamble. And yeah, the Shard is great too, but how much can you screw up the F&F on it? Every time I've ever thought about buying a Gerber product I remember all the really, really bad stories I've read, as well as the list of recalls for "laceration danger" etc. No thanks. I'll still take Leatherman and Swisstool any day.

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

420HC is a great working steel when it's done correctly. Leatherman does an OK job on it. Buck has an excellent heat treat on it. Case (assuming the guesses are right and Tru-Sharp is 420HC, which it seems to be) has a pretty good heat treat on it (it isn't as nice as their CV, which is thought to be 1095 Cro-Van for all intents and purposes). Gerber... who knows. Their USA made stuff seems to be OK quality.

I wasn't worried about Gerber's USA made gear steel. IIRC they've always been proud to state that it's 420HC. It's the steel they use on their Chinese made knives that I don't like (it acts like, and probably is, 420J2, which is not a good knifemaking steel).

One must remember that Gerber commands the market on flick-opening pliers multi-tools- the only other game in town (save the cloners and counterfitters) is the Leatherman OHT, which has a small toolset and seems to me to have been rushed to market. They also are apparently the go-to issue tool for the US military, which I'm sure is a valuable contract.