1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber Shard - Fake or Real?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by ezarc, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ezarc

ezarc Empty Pockets

Does Gerber make the Shard in silver? I looked on their website and I only see it in black without any mention of a silver version.

I'm not sure if I can post links but I bought a silver one from eBay for $0.99 + $3.00 postage, but the title says Gebo Shard (Gerbo instead of Gerber).

The image says Gerber on the tool itself though.

So does anyone know if they made them in silver?

If its fake I'm not going to be too fussed unless its poor quality material, but I thought I would ask here as you guys seem to know about multi tools.

Thanks for any input.

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty sure its fake

3. bystander

bystander Loaded Pockets

i got my coated copy from Amazxn and nothing to worry.

4. ezarc

ezarc Empty Pockets

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected as much, I hope its not soft steel if it is fake.

5. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Being from China, yeah, probably fake. A real one only woulda cost you a few bucks more.

6. Misha77

Misha77 Loaded Pockets

This is fake.
    Paradox thing is that these knock off is maybe made from better and harder steel than original...
    The original Shard isn't made from some super hard steel.
    i have one on mu key chain for almost a year now, and the first time i tried to use Phillips screwdriver it bend.
    And it was small simple screw for a wall picture on my work.
    Probably the pry bar is working better because it's thicker.
    If u need a good pry bar try with some titanium one.

7. jermlac

jermlac Empty Pockets

Now, if it's shipping from China, that's one thing...

...But, I thought the original Gerber Shard was a giveaway in stainless silver color at a trade show from Gerber. The Gerber Artifact had just come out and they made the Shard as a giveaway, but the knife vendors got back to their shops with them and everyone wanted to buy them. So, after a large request, Gerber began producing the Gerber Shard with the black coating.

:EDIT: I have found a reference to this history on another forum, but I don't think I'm allowed to post a link here. If you google 'Gerber Shard History' you will find the details you seek.

Last edited by winkydo, Sep 18, 2013
  8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

EDCF had a hand in that, too. There's a "Free the Shard" thread from a couple of years ago around here somewhere.

9. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Lol... Gerber's steel does leave a lot to be desired, huh? Gerber has been languishing in mediocrity while the Chinese have been stepping up their game. It would not surprise me to see a Chinese factory outdo them.

Man, I remember when Gerber used to be cool...

Nick4305 and vegassprky like this.
  10. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

I have two gerber knives I use all the time as my edc and I have no complaints... My suspesion rusted out in the bottom of my gear back, but thats my fault..

My shard comes tomorrow.. I can't wait!

11. sherminator866

sherminator866 Loaded Pockets

it seems like the edges arent as crisp as the real gerber. doesnt look like the phillips would really do much either, the cuts look weak and rounded. hey if it works as a pry/bottle opener and is strong then for 3 bucks you really cant go wrong.

12. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Wait Gerbers aren't made in a Chinese factory? I haven't had any issue with the three I purchased. The first one was the best of the three with the other two having the tips of the pry bar left a little thick. Easy fix with some time on a file and some sand paper.

13. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Some Gerbers are made in China, some are made in the US. The US stuff is generally better made and more consistent. But they're still designed in the US.

14. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

That's what I thought, I know they still make a handful of knives in the USA. I just didn't get how a Chinese made knock off would be better than a Chinese made Gerber?

15. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Gerber (and other companies) manufacture goods in China because they can reduce production costs. Gerber has also reduced costs by lowering the quality of their merchandise.

At the same time, the Chinese have been steadily improving the quality of many of their goods. At a certain point, the knockoff factories may actually exceed the quality of the goods produced by a company that intentionally keeps the quality low to maximize profits. By starting with a low quality threshold, they make it easier for a knockoff to outdo them.

MJGEGB likes this.
  16. MartinC

MartinC Loaded Pockets

I'm going to retire my shard soon. I find it an overrated product. I loved it when I saw it but have had it on my keyring for over a year without using it once. I like the design think it's great but have no reason for carrying one.

17. Renegade Style

Renegade Style Loaded Pockets

i was looking for these, but can not find anything called Gebo Shard or Gerbo Shard....
    a link would be fantastic.

18. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Look for Gebo Shard on eBay.

They don't look as well defined as the Gerber on my keyring. The tools are rounded at the tips. I wouldn't rely on it. (of course the most I've used my Shard for is splitting some frozen sausages.)

Why the heck can't I link to eBay?

19. Rocacid

Rocacid Loaded Pockets

New rules
    12.Deal spotting, defined as mentioning a source or retailer from which to purchase an item and prices, or an external link to such information, is prohibited.

20. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Thanks, that is lame.