1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber Profile Fixed Blade

Discussion in 'Knives' started by RogueEDC, Nov 20, 2010.

1. RogueEDC

RogueEDC Loaded Pockets

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

A couple of things look wrong. One of the points to a drop point is a very dull spine, That bevel on the spine should not be there. I think they have forgotten what a drop point is for.

I have had a couple of Gerbers and have never ever liked them. Others might feel different about them.

3. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I do, I'll take some pics tomorrow so you can see how the finger groove doesn't fit well.

I think its a good beater, it looses the edge fairly easy when chopping wood, also for 17 dollars at walmart can't really go wrong

4. epm357

epm357 Loaded Pockets

I have one of those. It's a good , cheap knife. Ok for the money.

5. xX_CENTURION_Xx

xX_CENTURION_Xx Empty Pockets

That's a really cool looking kinfe... if only it wasn't a Gerber.

6. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I have one. For a less than $20 knife it does a decent job. The sheath is cheap and almost worthless. You can get it pretty sharp with little effort. It serves as a backup for when I don't want to carry something as big and heavy as My Becker and would be an ok knife to throw in the glove box or tool box.

7. smithy

smithy Loaded Pockets

Own one build a kydex-sheath because the original is an insult to the eye!

Its quite ergonomic lies good in the hand and like already mentioned you can put a good edge to it with not much effort. I payed 20€ for it and think at that price I didn`t do wrong.

8. Tux0r

Tux0r Empty Pockets

I've had mine 6-7 years now...Love it. Jon just wants to knock every bit of it..Sure it loses an edge but then again i use it daily and i sharpen it one every week or two. Spline is fine..Bevel on the spine? very little.

9. RogueEDC

RogueEDC Loaded Pockets

I went ahead and bought one for a survival skills class yesterday. It did what I needed it to do but I didn't really put it through the rigors. I'm going to take the rubber scales off and do a cord wrap. I'll buy something out of AUS8 after the holidays.

10. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

Looks good as a cheap, under-the-truck-seat knife. Sheath looks worthless, though....

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Actually thats not true, I have not seen used this knife but Gerber has produced quite a few dogs. The bevel in real life but not be as it looks in the photo, I actaully think drop points should have a rounded spine to even avoid the two 90 degree corners. Part of the benefit is a drop point is a very very dull spine to cut one object while the spine is pressed against something you don't want cut.

I am fine with Gerbers for some tasks but the ones I have tried to use have some up wanting. Maybe this one doen't but I generally rate Gerbers as below average. Some of their knives are just fine for their intended tasks but I have not seen them out perform others in their class. Most knives will do the jobs they are designed to do but some do it much better than others and some are easier to use. Gerber has disapointed me more often than other knives but I have not used them all so there very well could be some that wouldn't dissapoint me. Now some of the small lightweights do fine for what they where made to do, but no better than the tons of others in that class.

In the area of common knives i would generally pick Kershaw, Buck, and almost all of the common names over them. I still have to qualify this as compared to most of the Gerbers I have tried. I would say the third most disappointing knife I have used was a Gerber. One CRKT knife really bothered me but I think it was a lemon, Pachmayer (the grip company) produced a knife that was number two on the disappointment list, than next would be a few Gerbers. Again I have not tried them all and some might not have bothered me so much.

12. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I don't have a ton of experience with knives, but I have had this one for several months and it really is a great knife. It's very durable & heavy duty, it takes a tough beating and keeps going, and it feels fantastic in my hand. The rubber scales give you a great grip and I don't have to worry about my hand sliding at all with it. The sheath does suck, though. I think I'm going to have a kydex one made, maybe have it made for horizontal carry. For the price, you really can't go wrong and I can't really see how you would be disappointed with it.