1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber milti tools? like them? hate them?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ace19636, Feb 12, 2010.

?

how do you vew Gerbers milti tools?

1. love them

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. thare ok

37 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. don't like them

33 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. never had one

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. 3Tripnip

3Tripnip Loaded Pockets

I'm a fan of theirs, especially of the US stuff (MP400, MP600, etc). I use the carbide-insert version of the black MP600 all the time....by far my favorite multitool.

2. xkalifornian

xkalifornian Empty Pockets

I have the same one as you. I keep it in my camera bag. Don't really use it much as it is there for any extreme tool emergencies I may happen upon. After a few years, I haven't had any extreme emergencies yet. The scissors do cut nose hairs pretty :censored: well. I'm referring to my own, not anyone else's.

3. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I've got 2, the MP400 and MP600 and have been quite happy with them. Had the MP 600 for over 10 years and has been solid and dependable

4. MyPocketsAreFull

MyPocketsAreFull Loaded Pockets

An old Gerber multi-tool

I have a Gerber multitool that is very old (10+ years). The pliers head still slides up just perfectly. And all the tools rotate smoothly and the blade is still sharp. And I have done zero maintenance on the thing. It is a heck of a tool.

Here are some pics of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anybody who thinks they can identify this model feel free to let me know. It is so old that I can't remember it at all.

5. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

It's a MP400 compact sport, smallest in their multiplier line, like this one (ignore the additional components)

[​IMG]

And the MP600

[​IMG]

6. MyPocketsAreFull

MyPocketsAreFull Loaded Pockets

Thanks so much for the info!

I hadn't a clue as to which model it was. I really appreciate you letting me know.

7. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I got to use the scissors on my Gerber Splice today. They are worthless. The slip-joint "locking" on the main tool slips and folds the wrong way (handles towards each other) which takes away from the squeeze of the scissor blades. Even if they are sharp, the construction of the handles makes them unusable. It was cheap ... for a reason.

I just ordered a Leatherman Squirt P4 and a Leatherman Style to cover my multitool needs. Maybe this time I'll get a MT worth the metal it's made of. Judging by the brand they are, I'm confident this will be the case.

I am disappointed in Gerber.

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Splice is the same construction as leatherman P4/S4, so if you think it folds the wrong way you are not going to like P4 either. It's what it is, a small keychain tool intended for occasional use. The scissors on mine work as well as any other MT/SAK scissors

9. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Only multitool I ever broke was a Gerber Legend. While trying to cut some wire, my hand couldn't exert enough force. So I had the brilliant idea to position the wire on the "cutters", then step on the handles to close it. :tsk:
    Before this ever happened, the scissors somehow got "rotated" past the point of no return so that the spring was forced out of true. Yeah they still could cut but only if you manually opened them again after the closing cutting movement. (While the scissor spring stuck out the side at an angle. :brickwall:) Never did send it back as I was on the multitool grail search and had too many others to try and never got around to it.
    After the plier pivot broke it went into the trash. I really liked the spring loaded pliers however, which was why I still kept using it. Plus the one handed blade opening. Never got to use the replaceable saw however. Ah well. :jason:
    On the subject of Gerber pliers, I thought they had some innovative ideas and while I had them, no real complaints. But after trying Victorinox, I had found the Grail. YMMV as usual.

10. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Gerber. Ugh. I guess I'm a true multitool addict, because I own a half dozen Gerbers despite the fact that I hate 'em all.

Why? Glad you asked.

On the "old skool" Multiplier design, yeah, you can look all cool and "flip" the pliers out, but so what? Just about every other multitool I own — and I own a lot — I can open one handed with a little help from a pocket or the side of my leg.

The space the plier head takes up in the handles leaves very little for the other implements, so they're few and stubby. Oh, and since the handles have to be parallel to slide out the head, they pinch your fingers if you're not careful; and since they don't open very far, getting the implements out is more difficult that it should be, and you can't open one handle for more reach like you can with a Leatherman or SwissTool.

The newer, larger models try to make up for some of those problems. Some add larger implements on the outside of the handles, but that just makes 'em more bulky. One model uses a traditional "butterfly" opening, but the handles are cast, and bulky as hell. Another has a plier head that springs open, but the springs leave no room for implements inside the handles. Overall, every Gerber I own seem to be very big and heavy compared to other brand with the same functionality.

One implement deserves special derision: the scissors. Ever since Gerber was bought out by Fiskars, they've had stubby, dull, crappy scissors.

Then there's the fit 'n' finish: Bead-blast crap steel throughout. The only multitools that have every rusted on me were a couple of Gerbers. 'Nuff said.

I could probably go on, but I think I've made my point. You can just do so much better in a multitool. Save you money and buy a good one, rather than a Gerber.

11. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Gryffin, you never did answer your own question as to why you have so many Gerbers! :jester:

12. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Heh heh heh… Sure I did: obsession. That and I guess I keep hoping they'll come up with a multitool that sucks qualitatively less than the ones I have.