1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber milti tools? like them? hate them?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ace19636, Feb 12, 2010.

?

how do you vew Gerbers milti tools?

1. love them

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. thare ok

37 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. don't like them

33 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. never had one

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo Loaded Pockets

I had a Gerber Legend for about 1 day. I broke it the first day doing the excat same thing I had done everyday with my SOG. Luckily I didn't pay for that one.

Shawn

2. LUW

LUW Loaded Pockets

I have the Multi-Pliers, Gerber's first MT and one of the first MT to get to the market. I bought I think in 1997ish, when Gerber products still were made in the USA. At the time I liked it, but looking at today, and compared to my Spirit, it's really poor. Flimsy (all tools have lateral play), you can only open the blades with the piers out and even though it rides in my messenger bag, it always has dots of rust. With this and all the bad press that Gerber gets nowadays in terms of craftsmanship, it's highly unlikely that I'll ever buy a product from them again.

3. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

my gerber is usa made and i have no idea of the model..but it is a free-hand of some kind. i have used it alot especially the pliers and never had any problems, i very like it for what it is. also it has a plain blade knife and a serratted knife both knives are sharp and easy to resharpen
    i can never say i love a multitool they all have there pros and cons.. but i do like my gerber

4. nudood

nudood Empty Pockets

I carried a Gerber every day at work for 5-6 years. Mostly I used the pliers and liked that they deployed so quickly. But nowadays it sits in a drawer while my Leatherman Wave Ti joins me on my daily walkabouts.

5. Gremlinz

Gremlinz Loaded Pockets

im with jzmtl. The 400, 600 and 800 are quality

6. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Only Gerber multitool I've had is the Suspension, and I don't use it for two reasons. Firstly I dont trust the build quality, all the tools seem lightweight somehow - nothing has broken because I haven't had any confidence to use it for anything serious. I very tentatively opened a can with it when my regular can opener broke, and I've sharpened a pencil with the plain edge blade. I can't think of mush more that I've attempted with this. Secondly considering the fact that this seems so flimsy, its very heavy and bulky.

1 + 2 = forget it, I'll use something else ... !

7. Mike Grandin

Mike Grandin Loaded Pockets

First Multi I ever bought was/is a Gerber. Don't know the model but have been carrying it for more than 25 years!

8. Rescue_Ops

Rescue_Ops Loaded Pockets

I agree 100%. If you could combine the Gerber pliers with the outbound tools on a Leatherman, you'd have the perfect tool. I actually carry both. Daily, I carry a Leatherman Charge ALX in my pocket. But I also sometimes carry my Gerber Diesel. I'm a maintenance mechanic and an EMT, so I have a lot of experience with them.

9. jvhooser

jvhooser Empty Pockets

Tools are great in my opinion, but the best thing about them is the Warranty and Customer Service. For example I recently sent an older model 600 with broken screwdriver in for repair. In less than 2 weeks, I received the old 600 back, good as new, and a new 600 as well with a note saying they want me to try the new 600 with locking blades. The knife I sent in did not have the sheath, and they had both the repaired knife and the new knife in sheaths. when they were returned. I am a customer for life.

10. bigfatton

bigfatton Loaded Pockets

I wanna try one...but I just don't see a need. I have a leatherman, and it's never let me down, and don't like the look of a lot of the gerbers, like the new octane, don't like the asymmetrical look of it.

11. Pyker

Pyker Loaded Pockets

My first multitool was a Gerber that I bought in New York about 15 years ago. The only reason I really bought it was because there is a South African connection to the name. However, I replaced it about eight years later with a Vioctorinox Tool that is of much better quality. The funny thing is that the Gerber still gets used quite a lot because I now keep it in my home general fix-it tool box and so it often used for little odd jobs. The quality isnt good but it kind of gets things done and because of that it has some sentimental value.

12. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I once had a MP 600 about 15 years ago, and all I can remember is it pinched like the dickens if you slipped off what ever you were grabbing with the pliers. That and it rattled really bad.

13. koolranch

koolranch Loaded Pockets

I own three different ones and they are not the best quality but they get the job done.

14. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I have a Gerber sportsman that was given to me and I don't like it, especially the pliers. I have had the pliers close up on me once or twice then I switched to a Leatherman Wave much better tool.

15. valvestem

valvestem Empty Pockets

I have had Gerber MT's for a long time, most are good quality and well-made, and work well within their design parameters. Until I recently got a Grappler. Long story shortest. The first one, bought new March 3rd this year broke a coil spring in the mechanism. I took it back, got another, get it home, and look it over, bad news, the slide mechanism looks as if it was hammered together by an apprentice assembler, and sent out the door as new. The internal plier head carriage was askew in it's track and functioned poorly. Plus the knife blade would not lock in place when opened without forcing the blade heavily against it's stop. Back with that one as well. The third one, looks OK, functions well, and is currently undergoing the test of time and normal use. Bottom line, it should not have taken me three tries to get a decent working properly assembled Grappler. This is the first issue I have ever had with a Gerber, but it seems as though their QC is in need of updating ASAP.

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

As good as a Leatherman or SOG or Victorinox multi-tool might be, I recently donated a Gerber multi-tool to a young man going off to war. Went with the Gerber because it can be hard to find the other brands in a black coated or non-reflective bead-blasted finish in a B&M shop.

I hope it serves him well. The one I chose seems quite strong and robust.

17. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

My experiences with Leatherman are the same. I just got a Crunch that was incomplete and won't close all the way. I was able to repair it, but it shouldn't be coming out the door that way.

18. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

I don't like them, the basic design of the plier head sliding in and out of the handles takes up a lot of space and makes for short stubby tools in the rest of the unit. That being said, the USA made one I examined recently didn't seem to be bad quality, just don't like the inefficient design. They make fold out models like Leatherman, but if you go for one of those, might as just as well get a Leatherman or Victorinox or SOG in my opinion

Edit: I just bought one off the BST here, a 600 I believe, just cause it was cheap and I feel like I should give them a try after reading about how good their customer service is. It's a made in USA so should be one of the "good" ones, I'll see if I can warm up to a Gerber

19. SpyderTex

SpyderTex Empty Pockets

gerber tools may be good, but imo leatherman cant be beat in terms of quality vs price. i would never buy a gerber if i could afford a leatherman but thats just me

20. Erik88

Erik88 Loaded Pockets

never had any problems out of my Gerber. Great value