1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber milti tools? like them? hate them?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by ace19636, Feb 12, 2010.

?

how do you vew Gerbers milti tools?

1. love them

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. thare ok

37 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. don't like them

33 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. never had one

30 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

I am wondering what you guys thank of Gerber tools and if you had any good/bad experience with them? For me it’s all bad but i have only had one and it got me off Gerber all together.

I had a Gerber miti-tool and the lock that held the blade in place failed all the time, the pliers where junk and the stud on the knife snapped off so I’m not impressed with Gerber at all.  :evil:

oh and if you love them tell me why i would love to know the up sides to haveing a gerber and If you have a Gerber you rly like post a pic I would love another knife/tool brand to pick from but for now I’m not impressed with them.

2. nja4k

nja4k Loaded Pockets

Hmmm .. I've been carrying a gerber since we could build it to our specs on their site. I've gone through about 8 or 9 counting the sheaths I have in my drawer. I loved the quick draw pliers. For cutting and other things I generally have a knife. But I found the blades on the gerber more then enough when I needed to use them. I lost a lot of them mainly because I was working on things and left them on the hood of my car forgot I had it on me in buildings where they weren't allowed etc. Besides the newer clam shells ones the quality was great. When I was a postal carrier it came in handy all the time. Jammed mail boxes arrow keys relay boxes etc. I believe there wasn't a day on the job I didn't use it at least 5 times. Jumped on the diesel when it came out and its been with me to this day. I still have a black needle nose mp600 which I broke the awl trying to pry a section open. The 800 was very similar to a leatherman and it wasn't for me. It now serves my friend as his first multi. The build on that is tough just not what I was looking for. Hmmm. I guess I'm just glad we have something for everyone. Just figure out what your going to use it for. I'm sure whatever you choose like it or hate it at least you'll know.

3. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

just to let you guys know this is the gerber i had

here

4. MartinTravels

MartinTravels Empty Pockets

Thare OK. I've olnly had one Gerber Multitool... I think it was called the Sportsman. It now sits on a shelf collecting dust. Gerber must bow at the altar of Leatherman, and because of that, thare OK.

5. TempestV

TempestV Loaded Pockets

I've never had a bad experience with any Gerber I've owned, but the last time I was looking at multi-tools, the quality on the gerbers was so poor, I eliminated them from consideration. I don't know when the quality slipped, it's no where near what it was when I was buying Gerbers.

6. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

The kind of nice thing about gerbers is that they open one-handed... Other than that, I don't see any particular advantage/disadvantage. I usually carry a Wave, myself.

I keep a pair of Gerbersin my medical bag, for field dentistry. They seem to work OK for that (used them once, in Argentina).

7. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

One-handed opening. Well, yes, on Gerbers the pliers do, the blades don't. On the comparative Leatherman models, it's the other way round. My line of thought is, if you're going to use the pliers more than the blades, get a Gerber. If you're using your multitool for a knife and the pliers are secondary, get a Leatherman. Quality wise, both are okay. I had a Gerber break on me, but I abused it hard.

Just my opinion, though.

8. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Build quality just isn't there . Never soil my belt with one ! Victorinox or Leatherman all the way .

Chris

9. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Victorinox or SOG's for me. Gerber's suspension model is crap from just about everybody I've heard from, but I can't say from personal experience. I do have a diesel model and a 600 (IIRC). Both are ok, the diesel is sitting in a hurricane box right now and the 600 in a knife drawer.

10. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

There are good gerbers and there are bad gerbers, you just have to know which one to pick. Avoid the new gimmick like suspension and stick with MP400/600/800 and you won't be disappointed.

11. DaveK67

DaveK67 Loaded Pockets

Like he says!

One of my favourite multitools is the old Gerber multiplier (predecessor to the MP600). It's a great multitool.

They have made a lot of rubbish in recent years, although the new 2010 models look as though they are having a serious attempt at making some good tools again.

So, I like them!

12. TxSxB

TxSxB Empty Pockets

First of all, I own 2 MP-600's (one needle nosed with bypass wire cutters, and one snub nosed with carbide pinch cutters) and a Freehand, I love all of them, the quality of them, the feel of them in your hand, I love the one hand opening super cool flick of the wrist pliers, I have found all the models I own to be incredibly robust and capable (note i'm not talking about the Crux, Suspension, Radius, etc. that Gerber has been pooping out recently) I really love Gerber's customer service, and the fact that they'll fix or replace your tool, no questions asked, not to mention that I merely asked for the price of two belt sheaths, one that I never even owned and I just wanted to check out and a replacement for my for my sheath that had seen a little too much abuse over it's life, and they sent me both sheaths free of charge in less than a week. I love that I can use my Gerber tools far above and beyond what a multi-tool should be expected to do, jobs that would crumble most other MT's and even break some dedicated tools, and yet when the smoke settles theres my MT, unscathed, ready to be used and abused some more. And if I somehow manage to break it, I know i'll have a shiny new one in the mail in about 2 weeks ready to be put through the gauntlet and get the job done. I guess it just makes me feel good to have absolute confidence in my gear, I know everyone can attest to that. Some like Leathermans or SOGs or Victorinoxs, it's all about personal preference, but I love the rugged, bulletproof, sheer manliness of my Gerbers. If you have a newer crap Gerber pick up a MP-600 and after a few days of carrying it and abusing it, you'll know why some of us swear by them, and you might start to also.

-Andy

13. pathalogical

pathalogical Loaded Pockets

I have had my Suspension for about 3 years now. I has held up great and gets medium usage. This MT fits my hand comfortably, any of the larger sized ones would probably cause fatigue quickly. It's great that we can carry a multi tool around on our belts, but if a task required more force, I'd use a regular linesman pliers or diagonal cutters etc.

14. Yucca Patrol

Yucca Patrol Empty Pockets

I have an old Gerber that I bought in the early to mid 1990's. There is no model number but it is stainless, is stamped USA on the handle and blades, and opens by sliding the pliers out with two buttons in the side. It is a very solid tool and one of the few nice things that has stayed with me for a good long time.

I also have a new Suspension which I bought based upon my good experience with my first Gerber multitool. But it iis nowhere near as ruggedly built but is just fine for leaving in the truck. I guess that is the difference between heavy duty quality American craftsmanship and cheap Chinese krap.

15. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Gerbers are palm pinchers when they slip. Go with a leatherman Wave

16. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a couple. They're not bad. I like the smaller Sport series and keep them in my admin pouches and a Recoil in my shooting bag. My preference is still a LM Wave.

17. ACHË

ACHË Loaded Pockets

You're not wrong in not liking THAT Gerber... :laugh:... Although I've never owned onel(and likely never will); over 90% of all posts I've read regarding the Suspension are negative ones.

:iagree: 100%

I have the BO Needlenose Multi-Plier 600, Bluntnose Multi-Plier 600 w/Carbide Inserts & Needlenose Multi-Plier 400 Sport.

Couldn't be happier with them & plan on getting more. I do own over a dozen Multi's (Leathermans/S.O.G.s/Victorinox/etc...) and even though the quality isn't the same...not necessarily better on all cases.

The Gerbers just hold up well over time and under heavy use...They just keep going strong & feel very well in hand(at least in my hands).

I think the "problem" with many Gerbers is that they feel loose and rattle; this initially gives the impression of flimsiness, of them being of lesser quality than a rattle free tight tool...

However; according to my observations & experiences; this is part of the design itself, not a trait of quality...

I've seen $15 Home Depot multi tools that don't rattle and are tight out of the box which start off feeling better than Gerbers using this criteria... but in reality snap, bend, crack, loosen & rust under very light use.

If I had to have just ONE multi, I wouldn't mind at all if it was a 400, 600 or a 800....

18. leatherman123

leatherman123 BST/Marketplace ban

I absolutely hate Gerber tools. The build quality is extremely low and they rust up easier than a Leatherman. I have owned about 10 Gerber tools and I traded/sold them all off. I only like Swisstools and Leathermans

19. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I have a few Gerber tools mostly the older ones. Finger and hand pinchers so don't carry them. The one that does't pinch is way too heavy to carry! I perfer Leathermans!!

20. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

i voted they are ok.

IMO...The best feature for me, is the replaceable jigsaw blade on certain models.

I prefer letherman