1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by spyguy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. djturnz

djturnz Empty Pockets

I have a Paraframe (or is it a PFII, it's the bigger one). The thumb stud has always bugged me because it would scrath the back of my hand when I reach into my pocket. The knife id clipped to my pocket.

My knife went through the dryer recently. My wife found it with the blade partially extended, stuck into the lint trap filter.

Now the thumb stud is gone. It's a bit more difficult to open one handed now.

2. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I was never a big fan of Gerbers,either knives or multitools (palm pinchers). That said, I have carried my MkII on my tac gear for more years than I will admit to. I went through several sheaths until a guy made me a kydex sheath for it a couple of years ago. It has made a BUNCH of downrange trips.

3. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

True, they use lower grade steels, and not all of their products on their website specify the material, but quite a few actually do specify the metal used in the blades, so it's not a complete mystery. On a related note, I found some cool info on the A.G. Russell site that gives out some decent info on materials. http://www.agrussell.com/Knife-Encylopedia/a/87/

4. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

First, let me say, I never used to be a real 'knife guy'.

True, I did get a few Spyderco knives issued that I carried either on my flight vest or my LBE, and kept either a Spyderco or CRKT in my car/truck. But, I never really started EDC knives on me.

Then, during an exercise at Ft. Sill, another Col I work with showed me his Mini-Covert. I really liked the looks of it. He said he really liked the Covert, and carried the Combat folder in the desert on his vest. (Basically the mini is the small, Covert is the medium, and Combat Folder is the large version of the same design, although each is slightly different.)

Anyhow, I bought the mini first, at approximately ~30.00, how could you go wrong? I carried it for a couple of weeks, then all Gerber products were 25% off at the BX/PX, so I bought two of the normally ~100.00 Covert. It is much nicer than the mini (not sure why the mini isn't built as well as its middlesized brother, anyone know?), smoother motion, better lock, better feel in my hand, etc. Then around Christmas, the 25% off sale came back and I bought the Combat Folder, normally ~85.00.

Overall, I love the Covert, really like the Combat Folder (although I really don't carry it) and like the mini. On TDY trips, I take the mini (in case TSA gets grabby with my carry-on and takes it), so, except for TDY trips, I am never with the Covert, it is just a great knife.

Now, if Gerber made the mini as an exact copy of the Covert, I would have to re-evaluate this posting...hint, hint Gerber.

5. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

The Covert is made in the USA and the mini is made in Taiwan (I own both models & I also like the Covert much better)

6. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

May be the first real knife that I bought, after Victorinox Spartan,
    was Gerber LST, 2 of them actually, to be used as "a gentleman knife" while I was studying.

That was in the early 1980's, LST with paper Micarta as a handle.
    Followed by a Paul knife (love the lock) and a small dagger.

When Spyderco was starting up, Gerber for me was innovative and first-rated.

After that I just lost interest in the brand when they went down market and moved their production to the Far East
    I don't even have their multitools, having a couple of Leathermans, a SOG and latest a Spirit.
    I find Gerber MT tacky and gimmicky, it could be just me.

7. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

My first knife was a Gator mk1 half serrated in 1996. I pulled it out today to for an A Service.

[​IMG]

I noticed that the stamp has changed from mine which reads "Gerber 650" to just "Gerber" (see below). Is the "650" a model/series stamp or an indication of steel type? They are now made from 420HC steel.

[​IMG]

Pax

8. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

It's a model number.

Same with Buck 110 which they used 425M steel in earlier production and later on and upto now 420HC.
    The stamping is still 110.

9. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

Cheers.

10. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

I have the same issue... to a point where I carry / clip it in my left pocket because it "faces" the other way and doesn't scrape up my fingers when I put my hand in my pocket. That and the "softer" blade have me in the market for an upgrade to my EDC folder...

11. ebsyesque

ebsyesque Empty Pockets

Most days i carry a fast draw, it is fast to open and pretty sharp. I wish the pocket clip could be switched to left hand carry but nothing is perfect.

12. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

Well I got the mini covert and am a bit dissapointed with it, the clip seems pretty tough and yet it has fallen from my pocket four times
    also I am left handed so it is not east to open, my fingers hit the lock and lock it, so I cannot just flip it open.
    so I am again going to be on the hunt for something similar....

13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

While Gerber does indeed make some junk, and they did move a lot of their production overseas, they still make a darn good knife in the LST and the Gator line. Both are still made here in the U.S., and both are still some very tough knives. I had an old LST that took about 20 years to wear out. Last year I ordered another one from Smoky Mountain knife works for 17.95, and it was marked Gerber, Portland Or. It's proven itself over the last year to be every bit as good as my last LST. My Gator is 12 years old, and is one of the most erganomic handles I've ever had on a knife. It grips very comfortable, and the rubber is a good grip wnen wet and/or cold. Like my LST, the Gator takes a very keen edge, aand goes through a whole deer without needing to be sharpened.

When I visited the Gerber plant in Portland in 2001, I saw a very modern plant complete with cryogenic treatment of the 420HC steel. The same steel Buck uses.

The only tragic thing is that now you have to carefully pick through the overseas junk to find the good quality USA made knives. Aside from the LST and the Gator models, there's not much I'm interested in at Gerber.

14. paustin

paustin Loaded Pockets

I keep a 10 year old gerber gator in my edc bag for stuff that i just wouldn't try to cut with my benchmade. I have never had a problem with it other than it can be hard to sharpen sometimes.

15. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

Which mini covert did you get? I don't understand your "fingers hit the lock..." comment. I have not had anything like the problems you are mentioning with mine. My only 'problem' with the mini is that it isn't made as well as it's bigger brother, the Covert Folder. (which rocks!)

16. zenpolock

zenpolock Empty Pockets

I had this same problem with gerbers a couple years ago. I lost 2 hiking. now i have one in the car that doesnt move, its there just in case. I also remember having to sharpen it all the time. Lousy steel. I made the switch to benchmade and crkt and SOG and spyderco and loved it. Not that i wont still look at gerbers.... I just love knives! :bounce: :bounce:

17. coyote

coyote Loaded Pockets

glad you like my photo so much matblack. i traded it off and yes, now i wouldn't mind it back myself.

here's another nice older gerber of the SL series in ATS-34:

[img width=640 height=540]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/oregoncoyote/GerberSLG.jpg[/img]

18. CV90

CV90 Loaded Pockets

I used to own a Gerber Applegate Combat Folder but one of my friends broke it while trying to pry a mailbox. Were still friends though :)

19. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

The lock is on the right side in the middle of the handle and when I go to open it with my left thumb my fingers always seem to hit the lock into the locked position, are their different versions of this knife?

20. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

Yep. I'll have to get a photo of mine on here, but I think there are at least two versions of these knifes. Sounds like the version you have is a Mini Covert F.A.S.T. version. Mine is the regular, no spring load, version.