1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber Dime Jack Pot?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by DEERLORD, Mar 11, 2014.

1. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

Bought a dime on impulse today, pretty blue/gray color scheme I haven't seen before, a REAL bottle opener, and the clam shell opener sold me real quick.

Upon getting home and playing with it a bit I of course came here to see what you all have had to say and popular opinion seems to point towards the Dimes being crap haha. The most common complaint being difficulty opening tools and following that is poor durability.

All of the tools on mine open perfectly, just enough pressure is all that is needed and the tools are definitely held in tight enough to not cause problems.

Its far too soon for me to speak on durability as I've only had for a few hours but I will be sure to update.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the feel in hand, and I'm usually completely against Gerber products. Bear Grylls being a complete tool has kept me away thus far, I went out on limb here and the fact that both his name and picture were not on the packaging made it much easier for me to go dark side.

I was curious if anyone else had managed to get lucky and acquire a Dime that wasn't a P.O.S. Should I expect mine to keep performing well or is it gonna fail on me?

2. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

I bought mine about a month ago right before I left for Afghanistan. Since getting mine I have had it in my pocket everyday. I use it for all my minuscule little tasks. I use the pliers, tweezers and letter opener daily. Haven't needed the scissors yet and very little use for the blade yet. I agree I think the slip joints are perfectly calibrated on all the tools. I picked mine up for 15$ at a sporting good store. From my experience with the microtool it is every thing I expected it to be. The biggest problem with this tool is that people complain about the lack of hard use the tools can take and the fact that the paint starts to come off almost immediately out of the packaging. People, it's not a leather men wave, it's not a MUT, it's not a rugged made in USA larger Gerber MT, it is a cheap small solution to minimalist MT carry that is just as versatile and just as durable as any other tool in its class and costs less then most of them. I also don't like most Gerber products though I have a few this is only one of two I would actually carry. In the last month the only things I have carried more then this tool is my glasses and my CQC7. I would personally recommend it. But I'm going to say it again, MoFos need to stop comparing it with their Waves and Swisschanps. That's not what it is. It's a cheap solution to minimalist carry. If you can understand that then just don't buy it.

My number one use for this product is cutting my dip cans open. Just for the record. And it's so perfect for it

3. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

I have one, for what it is it's a good little tool. I didn't use the pliers, so went back to a sak. I got my monies worth out of it and have no real complaints. Hope it serves you well.

MartialArtist and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

I believe the opening issue is pretty much with the black version. I have one and the knife and package opener were difficult at first. The knife broke in quickly, but the package opener took some time. It still isn't ideal, but not bad. I think it's awesome for it's intended purpose. I like the variety of tools and design better than the Squirt PS4. The PS4 is put together better, but so far it does not seem to have much of an edge if any over the Dime as far as durability.

5. DEERLORD

DEERLORD Loaded Pockets

This was all good to hear thanks everyone, especially concerning the issues being mostly isolated with the black one, looks like I hopefully wont be needing to upgrade to the ps4 anytime too soon ;]

6. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

I have a red one and a green one, both are tight but mostly with the small screwdriver tools which are redundant for my carry anyway. Pliers and blades work well

7. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Got one this week, mainly to keep at my desk and carry on my keychain. Doubt it will see hard use. That said, very happy with it this far, and no issues getting the tools out.

8. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I love mine. It is old and well worn. It still works like a champ. The only problems are: The scissos tend to have their spiing pop when I cut my fingernails, obviously overtasking it. They're not made for that I know. The otehr issue is the file. To effectively use the file you have to half open it.

9. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

I think the PS4 is the better tool.

Crazy Canuck and MartialArtist like this.
  10. mario23

mario23 Loaded Pockets

I like my dime but wouldn't be opposed to seeing other options. I like the overall size and weight of it.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

11. Sachmo

Sachmo EDC Junkie!!!

Got the blue one today......totally awesome ;)

MartialArtist likes this.
  12. Syph007

Syph007 Loaded Pockets

I dont know anyone who's carried it, and HASNT had it break. Give it time and It'll be sure to disappoint. :D As you can guess Im not a fan.

Sriracha, MartialArtist and MrOG like this.
  13. steveje

steveje Loaded Pockets

I have a black one that I've carried for about a year. The paint is scratched up and beat but the rest of the tool has held up well. I use it every day for small stuff.

14. Dr.Gonzo

Dr.Gonzo Loaded Pockets

I broke mine in six months... It's a cool little tool but not strong enough.

MartialArtist and MrOG like this.
  15. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't say it's great but it is okay for the general price. One tool on mine (can't remember which one as I gave it it to my brother after a couple weeks.) would not open at all. The tools were nice as far as I could tell however and unlike my PS4 the scissors didn't break so far. The plier head was nice and worked well. The tool was a hit or miss and it seems as though you got a good one. I don't see a reason to "upgrade" to the PS4 unless you are doing it just for the Leatherman name.

16. joks_

joks_ Empty Pockets

closed it with one hand..

[​IMG]

17. The Albino Yeti

The Albino Yeti EDC Junkie

Carried a dime everyday for about a year...at work mostly light duty stuff. Recently received a Swiss Army deluxe Tinker with pliers, scissors, etc. and haven't carried the dime since![​IMG]

18. Bong808

Bong808 Loaded Pockets

In its class, i think it's probably the most solid MT. The tool set is perfect and the external bottle opener ended up being my most used item.

19. SkaOG

SkaOG Empty Pockets

I like mine. It is a pretty good light duty tool.

20. khawk3

khawk3 Loaded Pockets

Went to MEC today with my hubby and updated my keychain. Took the little Eddie Bauer blade that I had gotten a few weeks ago off and replaced it with a black Leatherman Squirt PS4. When I got there, I was set on that model but hesitated a little when I saw the Gerber Dime, right next to it, for almost half the price (and in a very nice flashy red and grey). It confused me how similar they were and I was wondering if the difference was significant enough to pay almost doubled price. After playing a bit with them, opening them and getting a good feel of each of them, the main differences (upon a quick inspection) for the Dime is that they have 3 tools more than the PS4 (12 vs 9 but personally, the only one I would have liked to be included in the PS4 was the tweezers) and that the bottle opener was fixed at one end of the handle. That bothered me a little, I think it would catch on my pocket eventually but it did not seem to bother my husband. Both feel sturdy enough, were opening and closing flawlessly (nothing catching or difficult to). At that point, I was still undecided.
    Since one of my main criteria had been weight, I still went with my initial choice, the PS4, which feels significantly lighter in my hand, while my husband decided to pick the Dime for himself to replace the SAK on his keychain.
    Haven't had the chance to put both to the test yet for some real work, but we will see with time how it goes. I suspect the color coating will scratch quick but I'll test mine and my husband will test his. Let's see if we're both satisfied (price/quality) with them in a few months...

MrOG, MartialArtist and vegassprky like this.