1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber Crucial ..... Junk!!!

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by OEM1, Jul 12, 2013.

1. OEM1

OEM1 Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a Gerber Crucial Multi-Tool. I loved the size and feel of it. It's super light and an easy carry. Just one problem, it broke the first time that I used it. I used the needle nose pliers at work to remove a small nut. One side of the pliers broke clean off! I wasn't even gripping hard, it was a tiny nut.

I contacted Gerber to express my dismay and they told me that I was improperly using the tool. So I asked, "Is this a multi-tool or a multi-toy?". Don't advertise it as a tool when it's not a tool. Save yourself the aggrevation and don't waste your money on this garbage. From now on I'm sticking with My Leatherman and SOG Multi-tools.

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Anymore Gerber equals junk, they've gone down hill fast.

Elduka, chaosmagnet, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  3. JP5

JP5 Loaded Pockets

I've heard of them using that line "improperly using the tool" before... Recently read an amazon review of the Gerber Applegate combat folder where a deployed solider had the thing break and they were not helpful...

chaosmagnet and tmedina like this.
  4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Personally, I'd never take the Gerber "Applegate combat folder" anywhere near a deployment. The one time I had a chance to handle convinced me to steer clear.

wildborego likes this.
  5. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

The only thing I liked about the Crucial was the strap cutter. I'll stick to my Juices if I am looking or light duty.

Nick4305 likes this.
  6. Squarebox
    • In Omnia Paratus

Squarebox Loaded Pockets

Gerber is only surviving from people buying "Bear Grylls" name...

Marketing is a powerful tool which proves to you that one can sell the general population anything especially garbage.

T.H.Cone, FACE, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  7. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

It's a real shame, because I've got some really good Gerber stuff I picked up years ago.
    I have one of the early multi tools that has served me really well over the years, and a couple of fixed and folding blades here and there.

Nick4305 likes this.
  8. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

9. rangetroop

rangetroop Loaded Pockets

What a shame, my first multitool was a gerber that I bought it in 95 and i thought it was great and i had it for years until I discovered leathermans and swisstools. Had some other gerber knives in the past that I liked too, nowadays I associate gerber with substandard products. Such a shame!

Nick4305 likes this.
  10. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Gerber has become the WD-40 of the knife world. Great marketing but the product is so bad that you'd be better off with nothing.

MJGEGB likes this.
  11. Zebulon

Zebulon Loaded Pockets

I get the vibe that any Gerber gear with moving parts is pretty much garbage. I've got a couple of Gerber multi tools. The Bear Grylls mini tool is *almost* great, except that the pliers collapse if you grip them tight, which is a pretty significant failure in a tool that is built around pliers.

Sent from my Transformer Prime using Tapatalk 2

12. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

It's a shame that Gerbers quality has gone straight down the tube. My very first multitool was a Gerber. I had it for probably 10 years before I just replaced it with a SwissTool. Never had any issues with it, and I certainly didn't baby it. I kind of miss it now that it's gone, but if I had to choose only one, I'd keep the SwissTool!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nick4305 likes this.
  13. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Are you saying WD-40 is no good? Other than some gripes about inappropriate use, this is the first knock on the product itself I've seen. What do you know about it?

T.H.Cone, horgerg, low_down and 2 others like this.
  14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

FWIW: Gerber is currently looking for...
    • Director of Manufacturing
    • Implementation Engineer
    • Key Account Manager
    • Prototype Technician
    • Quality Engineer
    • Quality Technician
    http://gerbergear.iapplicants.com/searchjobs.php
    Kind of makes me sad, as I have some of their older gear which I like, and they still make a nice strap cutter.

There is a some distinct cultural differences between Gerber and Leatherman as companies.
    Gerber has Bear Grylls (we will refrain on the wisdom of naming your children Marmaduke or Huckleberry) and employs some hyperbolic marketing...

Sizzle in need of some steak.

Leatherman has a totally different approach. Instead of hiring a spokesperson, Leatherman lets their customers speak for them through a long series of Tool Tales.

Although their portfolio has expanded a bit, Leatherman's product line is still narrow and deep. By comparison, Gerber's almost seems scattershot with too many different knives... many that seem to compete with each other. In a lot of ways, this seems like a case of spreading their resources too thin.

Some of the product engineering focus just seems to be too gadgety, forsaking the basics of quality materials and robust design.

I have a serious weakness for underdogs, and Gerber ranks high on my list of companies in painful need of a "reboot".

ATB,
    Sam

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

There are multiple threads here about the stuff. My personal experience is that if you use it as recommended on the side of the can, say on a squeaky hinge, the squeak will go away only to be back even worse in a week. I've no doubt that it works great as a water displacer, never tried it in that application.

16. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

what a great one-liner.

you would think with their product being so under-whelming, they'd at least try to make up for it with customer service. still, i can't tell you how many gerber's i see in real life.

17. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Two words- '"Blister Pack".

I see a ton of them also, when I ask hey where'd you get that it's always ------ discount store or sports.

18. Pine Box Parkinson
    • In Omnia Paratus

Pine Box Parkinson Not a N00b

I remember wanting one of these MTs before I really got into EDC. THis was many years ago. I told my dad and he didn't get it for me. He got me one of the Heavy Duty Gerber MT. The thing is a rock. I still have and use it to this day. I've even used it as a hammer before. It's ridiculous. I also have one of their knives from like 15 years ago. It's sad that they don't make quality products like they used to. I only speak from my experience with them which has been great. But, You can tell they just don't have it anymore.

ramjet and Nick4305 like this.
  19. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I'll go a step farther and say of all the Gerbers I've ever had, the Crucial was the worst by a mile, at least in terms of fit and finish. When I got mine, I couldn't believe it made it by QC, if that still exists.

Gerber does still make a few good tools, but they're getting few and far between.

20. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

JigaLoo is where it's at WD40 leaves a residue, attracts and holds dust.

Wd40 is still thee best remover of accoustaseal caulking
    (black caulking used in conjunction with vapour barrier to seal the house)

I may have some spelling errors, lost a lot of sleep worrying about my wife this week, she's all good now though :)

Dr. Bahn and New_Pollution1086 like this.