1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber BG Water canteen or Stanley Stainless Steel canteen

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Pattas29, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Pattas29

Pattas29 Empty Pockets

Both about the same price.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either or ideally both?

Cheers

2. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

I've owned a Stanley stainless steel water bottle for years. In my experience Stanley are bulletproof. Bear Grylls stuff seems much more a gimmick to cash in on the market for BG rather than provide serious kit. I'd get the Stanley...

3. aasoverteakettle

aasoverteakettle Loaded Pockets

I just got the new Nalgene Stainless 38oz bottle. Everyday use as well as bike touring and bikepacking. Fits my existing Olicamp mug, effectively providing a second water boiling container. Definitely bulletproof, and functional design: wide Nalgene mouth (personal preference), Olicamp fit, thick metal to withstand abuse and fire, and removable cap for cooking. As an everyday waterbottle, it's overkill, but looks radder. But for actual outdoor use, I'm looking forward to having it since my weight-conscious touring kit only includes the Olicamp for personal stove and campfire cookware. The weight is its downside, but it is dual purpose (like a frizbee meal plate).

The Stanley seems like a lot of money for the product, and I wonder how well it nests with existing cups of that style. And BG is a plastic bottle, which is like comparing apples to oranges. Neither have the capacity of the Nalgene.

I am not a paid spokesperson for Nalgene. Yet.

Moose likes this.
  4. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

I too have a Nalgene steel bottle with a fitted mug. Had that for years too. Sure is bulletproof. Lives in a hiking rucksack. I edc a Nalgene tritan GI canteen (which paired with a steel cup would be my first choice on a budget). Absolutely love it and the shape fits better in my Timbuk2 messenger. I also edc a smaller chinese tritan GI canteen (same design as Nalgene but almost half the size) which I'd recommend too.

But of the two OP proffered I'd rather get the Stanley. As you said, the BG is some sort of plastic, and the cup looks like it'd bend in a stiff breeze.

Cheers.

5. os2soliz

os2soliz Loaded Pockets

Moose likes this.
  6. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets