1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber/bear grylls fixed blade survival knife coming later this year!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by WARFIST, Aug 1, 2010.

1. rmfromm

rmfromm Loaded Pockets

Definitely too many serrations. Not a fan of the colors either but I guess if you dropped it it would make it easier to find.

2. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

The original link isn't working, here's a new one.

http://www.pitchengine.com/gerber/gerber-legendary-blades-announces-partnership-with-bear-grylls/79188/

I think it looks like a TRON LMF II xD, but seriously for fans of the show just making a quick buy to go camping or whatever, there are a lot worse choices out there. Gerber's a solid company and I really like the LMF II ASEK, I think the orange parts would look better in coyote brown though, or just all-black. The included ferrocium rod looks a little short, reserving judgement on the lanyard whistle and the sharpening stone.

3. macgyver

macgyver Loaded Pockets

4. Lev

Lev Loaded Pockets

Mate, I dont think anyone who has been a member of 21 Special Air Service can be described as a chairborn commando.

Lev

5. RiotSnake

RiotSnake Loaded Pockets

Too true Lev. Let's not forget that the S.A.S was the original model for most other special forces group's around the world, they really are the best of the best. As for the knife, looks interesting, a little gimmicky maybe but unless i can get my hands on one i will have to save judgment for another day.

RS.

6. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Wonder if this is because Rob Bayley has a 7 year waiting list, and has stopped taking orders for knives.

7. xX_CENTURION_Xx

xX_CENTURION_Xx Empty Pockets

Made by Gerber?
    Blade made of "sturdy high-carbon stainless steel"?
    Handle trademarked for the express purpose of showing off?
    Claims to be a survival knife?

I'll give this one a gigantic, resounding "H*** NO!"

A warning to anyone thinking of buying this: Don't. A knife doesn't become a "Survival Knife" just because it comes with a sharpener, firesteel, and fancy licensing from some guy who makes money shocking people by eating bugs on tv. If you get stranded in the middle of nowhere and are forced to fend for yourself, you need a knife that you can trust to get the job done, and be ready to do it twenty more times. I'm no expert on wilderness survival, but I would never trust a knife made by a company that isn't proud enough of their knives to tell us what kind steel they are made of.

8. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I still really like the old version better than the Gerber version. I think red scorpion 6 makes it now. Yes, yes, I know there is the controversy over the pirating of the design but I still like it.

9. Wolvee

Wolvee Loaded Pockets

I hate Gerber but I'll consider this. Seems a big gimmicky though. The Amazon price is $60 so it's not much of an investment but we may get much more.

10. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

I've got one on pre-order. I'll try to do a review once I get it.

11. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

For around that price point, I can think of a couple of knives I would much rather have on me in the woods.
    Hell, I would much rather the Izula kit that come with the fire rod if I were stuck in the woods and was depending on my knife to build shelter and do all the knifely duties to keep me alive.

Saying that this knife is gimmicky doesn't even cover it.

12. Joseph666

Joseph666 Empty Pockets

G'Day,
    Had one guy's and happy to have "had one", sold it after finding the China copy of the U.S.A. PRODIGY, the sheath on this thing is cheap and will fit little unless you go into the field with a dress belt on unlike the sheath that comes with the Prod knife that can me made to fit any carry be it vest, pack or mill web belt + if next to the old :censored: it looks not so nice.
    As far as the blade a knife is a knife it cut's the hammer? on the top of the handle what for? in the swamp's I carry a bag ax or small pack ax weight + or - 1 lb to chop or hammer + if you came down on something and missed with this gerber you would hurt your hand, the toy fire strike works but my feel is and what I carry is a strike that can be used with one hand, + a few all strike match's.
    I asked Gerber about this Nada from them I also was told by there Pro of what I know not? that each Gerber is spec? and will not fit in any other sheath when I wanted to buy a Sheath? DAAAAAAAAA ! how come the blade fit very nice in my Prod sheath? or the other way about? then I never heard from them?
    Gerber has made some fine blades and I have a few but not this China Duck my friends save you money.

13. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

According to some sources, it appears that the Gerber LMF and Prodigy use 420 steel for their blades. My guess is this knife uses similar steel.

Good point. For almost the same price, might was well get a RAT Izula.

14. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

That largely covers it. I would never pretend to know as much about survival as Bear, but...

* I don't mind the orange, but obviously that's personal.
    * I hate serrations on a survival knife. Bushcraft is made much easier with a plain edge to the hilt (especially for whittling notches into branches for traps or shelter. Serrations make it nearly impossible without slicing your own hand.
    * I would prefer a spearpoint with a more centrally located tip. Look, if you say you have 2 holes forward in the scales so that the knife can be trussed up on a stick and used for a spear (as ridiculous and rarely useful as this is in real life) then you need to fashion a blade shape that will work as a spear.
    * The thumbramp and finger guard are fine for a combat knife, but a knife can not do EVERYTHING well and should not try. These features are fine for a combat knife but, again, contraindicated on a survival knife.
    * A striker pommel is good, I'll leave the "butt cap" stuff to the boys in West Hollywood.
    * Firesteel and sharpener are always kept with my survival knife, this is clever and useful. Good job, Bear! I believe the firesteel is mischmetal, which would obviate the usefulness of additional Mg block, but a tinder or wetfire cube pocket would be great.
    * Whistle lanyard, again kudos to Bear!
    * If it's stainless, why the stupid black coating. Is that for covert ops in 'bear" country ? (Pun intended.) Anyone who has had to process camping wood by battoning will tell you that the coating makes life much more difficult by increasing friction tremendously and will rub off and look like crap after one use.
    * I feel the worst thing about velcro is the way it fails when wet and frozen. Worthless!

So, I in no way do I consider this to be the "ultimate" survival knife. It may be the ultimate money-maker for Bear and Gerber, but that's about it. I, and many experts, think my recently acquired Fallkniven A1 is probably much closer to being the Ultimate Survival knife, but at 3 - 4 times the price it should be. The same could be said for the Bark River Knives SOLD AT THE EDCF STORE. At the same price point as the Bear are the Becker BK2 or BK7. I think these are excellent contenders with their only real drawbacks being that they are made of carbon rather than stainless steel and they also have a black coating. I may just get one of them, strip the paint, polish it up and keep it well lubed & waxed to prevent rust. FWIW, on the 7, I'd also grind off the thumbramp.

15. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

I agree with most of your comments.

* I mentioned a reflective surface for signaling, but I hadn't thought about the problems with the black coating. I would hate to have a knife that got all scratched up and looked like carp from normal outdoor useage.
    * I hadn't thought about the spear point problem, either; you're right, this blade geometry doesn't lend itself well to being a spear point.
    * In another recent thread, someone mentioned reports that this knife has problems with the blade coming loose from the grip, and that Gerber is working on the problem. This makes it a lot less attractive addition to my collection, at least until Gerber makes some improvements.

16. WARFIST

WARFIST Banned

this knife is an epic fail! i handled one at dicks sporting goods and my prodigy is way better and also a true full tang knife unlike the LMF2 or this BG KNIFE.....if you want a good knife from gerber around this size...go for the prodigy!
    there is also reports of the BG knife falling apart at the bottom where the glass breaker i and yes gerber is already working on a new version of this knife that was released less than 2 weeks ago.... bahahaha GET THE PRODIGY! OR THE LMF2!

17. Joseph666

Joseph666 Empty Pockets

THIS NEW CHINA BEAR G. from GERBER is a sick sister next to the Prodigy made in the U.S.A. I think it would be fine for the knife nut who will not use or carry it about, my prodigy I have used for years in and on FL wet land, Yes i use a knife not sit and look at them, give this a bit of thought about fire starting, if you use a striker to start a fire and this can and will happen to all if you spend time in the field a cut, broken finger, wrist, hand, shoulder now with onley one hand my friends and you need a fire how do you use it? speak to me. I carry a one hand striker, and 8 or 10 all strike matches in a water tight carry, in my small gear bag, also a bag ax + a 22 small auto, and I carry a staff for feel on wet ground or walking in water with my hound, not counting my staff total weight + or - 4 lb's.

Cheers Mates
    Cheers

18. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Izula I Survival Kit is a little cheaper or around the same with shipping costs and is a much better knife.

I like watching "Man vs. Wild."

If a company doesn't display the knife steel used then I won't buy it. Especially if it's the speculated 420hc steel.

19. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

I see that it has the famous Gerber "High carbon stainless steel" blade. With those that hollered gimick, I agree 100%. For $16 more, you could get an OKC Survival knife that would worth the money. Unlike Gerber's mystery steel, the Ontario product has 1095 steel, not stainless, but much better in other aspects.

20. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

No, but if he recommends something, I would avoid it like the plague. He has proved to be untrustworthy. Interesting that I have never heard he was in 21st SAS before, would have thought that would be written next to his name everywhere.

Why can some decent company not get together with Ray Mears or Les Stroud, I would look long and hard at either of their recommend products.