1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gerber Bear Gryllis

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Joseph666, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Joseph666

Joseph666 Empty Pockets

G'Day,
    Just sent for and have in my hands a new not out yet everywere Gerber Bear G. Knife, I find the knife seem's to feel ok it be made in China it look's good, not as nice as the Gerber Prodigy I carry in old FL fields and swamps with my Catahoula Cur Dog Bodi.
    My problem with the new knife is the sheath, this is about usless, unless you wear a thin belt in the field, it is very cheap made no way to put on a 2 1/4" mil belt or vest or day pack, comes with a fire starter to strike in the blade of a knife, my problem with that is this, I find carrying 6 water proof match's or a one hand strike is the way to go how would you use a TWO hand strike with a banged up or cut wrist, arm, shoulder, or hand? on a 0 deg day or any day or night by one's self.
    It was not a good idear for me to buy this knife I fig it might be nicer than my Prodigy I do like Gerber but in no way this Bear G. thing it is even a bit more weight than the Prodigy,so if any one be of interest in this Gerber Bear G. I will sell it for what I have in it $70.00 u.s. with shopping compleat new unused be the first on your block with on befor the price goe's up.
    Cheers Joseph

2. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Sorry you're disappointed but you need to go to the Buy Sell Trade area of the forum after you've reached 15 posts.

3. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

So let me get this straight, you rubbish it as cheap, unusable, and heavy? now you want to sell it to one of us? oh and you want to do all this on your first post.

Welcome to the forum, please take the time to read the Forum rules, build a reputation, contribute some of your hard earned wisdom, maybe get a post count of at least 15, then we may listen to your thoughts and you may sell this knife, in the correct place of course. Best of luck.

4. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

Nice thought so we have some idea what to expect from a blade of this "legendary" man.

5. 44Magpie

44Magpie Loaded Pockets

Couldn't even spell the guy's name correctly.

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The OP it seems has not posted again. Thanks for giving him the rules guys.

One things that drives me absolutely nuts about these some survival themed media presentations. There are thousands of people that go to those places but do not call it survival. There are thousands of people each year that go on four month long outdoor activities and it is not, survival, they call it back packing. There are tons of people that live out of a pack and walk on snowshoes for the whole winter, and this is not survival activity, that was them just wanting to be outside and follow the elk herds over winter. There are people who's job has them wandering Nunavut for months at a time, not that is really tough.

I also see where people will open a wilderness survival school and on their advertising they will state that they have spent 3 days alone in the wilderness and survived. The funny think is thousands of non-experts go months at a time. Workers can go weeks without seen a road or building, those just wanting to see certain places can go live out of a pack for months, those seeking an outdoor challenge can be out for months and it is not called survival.

I find many things disturbing about these kind of things. We have people living and working in the Alaskan interior every day. There are people living in Siberia and get along fine. We have people that cover vast distances in a season. What is funny is people don't want to every ask those guys about how to live in in harsh conditions. I guess someone born and raised in the North West Territory and may only been in a town less than 1% of their life and has 30 years time living outdoors has nothing to offer to surviving outdoors. Someone who self proclaims to have lived outside alone for three days is qualified to teach survival.

No I am very skeptical about things like this. I consider myself a novice outdoorsman. I have worked outside where I have not seen a building for a week. I done at quite a few month long periods without seeing a building. I have done many 100 to 1000 mile walks and I have done a 2000+ miles one. Does this make me an expert....nope, absolutely not but I have been out enough to make me very very skeptical about things now days. The world has changed, the language had changed and people who have not done much have become the experts.

I was once in what some of the people in Minneapolis call the wasteland. In the Wasteland the town populations are not measured in the thousands, they are in the hundreds and there are not many towns. There are tons of lakes with absolutely no roads going to them, some not even a trail, if there is a trail it is a game trail so is not very tall. I was up there visiting a friend that moved there, while I was there they talked about the Citiots. Those that where born and raised in a city (nothing wrong with that) that would come up to people areas where no towns existed and try and show the locals how to hunt, fish, and get along in the wilds to the people that actually lived there (now this is strange behavior). I know I should not go try and show an Inuit how to catch a seal.

One thing bothers me today we have it where personality and some training gets media attention that supposedly trumps a life time of experience. Things are so upside down and so wrong.

7. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

"Citiots". I like that term, and I'll probably be using it from now on. These days, it seems that getting out of sight of Starbucks qualifies as a survival experience. Three days in the wilderness? If you don't exert yourself too much, you can live three days without water, much less food. Lately I've been wondering how many people can find their own bathroom without a GPS and a smartphone.

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We all knew it was not everyone from the City that was like that. The ones that the locals remember though are the ones what where educated from a magazine and thought they poor people that lived in the wilds needed some instruction. The instruction was usually way over the top and was lacking in experience.