1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Geocaching

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Crocodilo, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Are you a Geocacher?

1. Never heard of

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Tried but did not follow up

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Occasional cacher

41 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Devoted fanatic

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Have heard of it, but haven't tried it

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

I just got into Geocaching. I've just purchased the Geocaching app on my iPhone. Planned to start this weekend.

2. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Similar topics merged.

DB

:tardis:

3. scbo

scbo Empty Pockets

I've been into it with my wife for a couple of years 400 plus finds. Its a great thing to do when I'm not fishing and on down time.

4. Etowah Edge

Etowah Edge Loaded Pockets

I found a cache by accident the other day. I got hooked pretty quick. Just one more hobby to gear up for.LOL

5. maxweljames

maxweljames Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with some of the previous replies, it's a great adventure. The wife and I especially love multi stage caches. Though I must admit, the last few years we haven't gone very much. We used to cache all over northern IL and southern WI. But since moving to coastal GA we are less inclined to go out caching. Inevitably we end up in a swamp(hmm, was that an alligator tail I just saw go beneath the water), or a nice spider infested wooded area(ever had a spider give you the stink eye? they grow them big in GA) Now we try and stick to caching on vacation when we are in other parts of the country.

But I totally recommend it to anybody who wants to get out and see places you never new existed. We have found so many little parks that are perfect for hiking, or having a picnic that we never even knew were there. It's a great hobby.

6. mikeinrancho

mikeinrancho Empty Pockets

I started geocaching about 4 years ago. Kinda took the last year off, maybe only 30 finds in 2009, but 1225 finds total. 18 caches hidden. I have 95 geocoins out there traveling around, though some are missing :( 2 of those still traveling have ~15,000 miles on them.

I started with a Garmin eMap, about as basic and inexpensive as they come, no longer made. This GPS worked fine. I still use it when we're out caching in the Rhino or on quads. Then moved up to a Garmin Etrex Vista C, little better - color, little more expensive, but no better at finding caches though. Then moved up to a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx, still more expensive, more features, but no better to me at finding caches. Regardless, if you're using the GPS for caching only - you do not need any GPS maps!! The 60 CSx has all the features you could ask for, including lots of memory and downloadable maps, but I can find a cache just about as fast with the eMap - which has no additional maps, just a base map of major highways. The maps are nice, the expensive handhelds with maps will give you turn-by-turn routing, but if you can follow an arrow - even the most inexpensive GPS's will get you close. And that's all they're meant to do - get you close, after that your geo-sense will kick in.

Caching has taken us (my wife and I) to a lot of out-of-the-way places that we would never had known about without caching. All the cool places that you can't know about when you don't live in an area - there's a cache there - unless it's a National Park (rules). We've cached in 20 states, in Mexico and plan to add a few more states next year. We just got a little busy this past year and keep talking about stepping it up a bit..

7. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

I've found a couple. Usually when I travel I don't devote enough time to do it. Something I'd like to do more of.

8. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

It's a good chance to try out new gear in a pretty forgiving situation: most hikes or drives for caches don't have you out that far beyond help -- unless you want it that way!

9. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Wow, I was under the impression you had to have very expensive equipment and a lot of experience to even try this. Heck if a GPS that's "good enough" is $200, this sounds like a pretty cheap hobby considering I already have all the other stuff you'd need. I might try this in 2010.

10. maxweljames

maxweljames Loaded Pockets

$200 is a lot to me, I picked up a small garmin on sale for under $100 a few years back and it's perfect.

11. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

If you have an iphone, there's a great app for geocaching.

It can make your iphone act like one of the fancy ($500+) GPS units.
    I hear it's great.

12. eighty

eighty Loaded Pockets

The only downside is that iphone's gps is somewhat inaccurate and slow to acquire the signal. It generally works pretty well in urban areas, because you can switch to satellite view to give you an idea of where the cache hides, but in forests, this doesn't really work.

13. MagnaWolf

MagnaWolf Loaded Pockets

I just downloaded the Geocaching App to my iPhone. Too cold and snowy to use it now though.

14. Etowah Edge

Etowah Edge Loaded Pockets

$200 will get you into a good range of GPS choices. Very little else is required to get started. So far I have found a few near where I work. It's a good way to spend a lunch break.

15. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

So I got a Garmin Summit for Christmas. There goes any excuse to not try this. :D

16. anifong

anifong Loaded Pockets

I decided to try this after buying a handheld garmin for marking fishing holes after my buddy upgraded his boat. Saw the geocaching option and decided to check it out. I took the kids a few times and they loved the treasure-hunt aspect of the whole thing. I like being able to get out and have something to do while we're out. Also discovering little-known places around town and nearby that I never knew existed has been really cool.

17. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

When I first started it was hooked but after my first 200 I pretty much stopped and now I just do it once in a while.

18. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

Geo-caching was just being discussed on our local talk radio station last evening on my way home from work (NJ 101.5). They had someone call in who is giving a lecture today at a conference of librarians about it and she loved going out looking for and finding caches. They are a few around my home but I haven't been able to get the Mrs. interested yet and I don't have a GPS unit either -- although I may be able to find the local ones just from the clues that are given.

19. dewaddict

dewaddict Empty Pockets

I Geocache with the family the kids love it! There always asking when we can go treasure hunting again?

20. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

I had heard about it for years but it was after I saw this thread and followed the link to the Geocaching site that I gave it a try. I used my iPhone with it's Google maps and found a couple my first time out. It's more fun than I thought it would be and I would suggest to anyone to try it out. I did buy a $100 Garmin due to the phone not having the best accuracy all of the time, but after that all it costs are batteries. People like to place their hides in interesting areas, so even if you have lived somewhere for decades this is a great way to see new places and learn new things about where you live. Give it a shot!