1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Geocaching

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Crocodilo, Jan 13, 2009.

?

Are you a Geocacher?

1. Never heard of

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Tried but did not follow up

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Occasional cacher

41 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. Devoted fanatic

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Have heard of it, but haven't tried it

39 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

Oh, I have a reasonable sense of direction -- once I've gotten there the first time. :7) Part of it, I think, comes from the lack of road signs in New England: the only landmarks are Dunkin' Donuts shops, of which every block has at least one. *rolls eyes*

I was a Boy Scout and a JROTC student, and I can read paper maps no problem. I'd like the GPS unit for when I am exploring, though, and didn't plan anything out. :7) Also, I have a passel of kids, and I'd like to get them excited about preparedness/self-reliance *and* technology.

2. CopperKnight

CopperKnight Empty Pockets

I voted "occasional", but I really enjoy doing it and want to put more time into it. Having 2-3 feet of snow on the ground around here hinders it a bunch. Any time I hit a different city for whatever reason (work, etc) I always make a point of searching out several near where I am staying just to be able to pick up a couple.

3. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

CopperKnight and I had a good geocaching day last fall (I think) where we hit six of them around our area. One was more difficult to find than the others because it was near an outhouse, and man did it stink. Almost to the point of making you gag. Out of frustration he kicked a rock and lo and behold...the clever folks had bored a hole in the rock and fastened a film canister into the bottom of it! We really need to remember to take the hints with us when we are out caching. BTW...good to see you posting CopperKnight!!

4. addictedmatt

addictedmatt Loaded Pockets

I enjoy caching in the snow. Less wading through the weeds, and no bug bites. I use a garmin etrex vista, I would like to upgrade but it does the job.

5. Goose

Goose Empty Pockets

Got my Garmin 60CSx yesterday, loaded the maps, and started searching for my first geocaches today. Found 3 out of 6. The ones I missed were right in the middle of a busy town, I figured it would look odd if I started diggin around the unusual locations :-X Maybe on a slow day I will go back and look.

6. peacefuljeffrey

That's the big issue, I think. There's a freakin' BAZILLION different GPS models and companies out there now. I haven't the slightest idea what I would buy.

Add to that the fact that if I do end up investing in one, it's almost sure to be a Garmin and of great expense, because I'm going to get one that is aviation-capable, since I fly, and will want that functionality in my own portable.

EDIT: Odd coincidence--last night I was at Walmart and was browsing the DVD movies, and saw some horror movie about a killer who stalks geocachers, targeting them based on their online posts. I'm serious. I can't remember the title, and I couldn't locate it in a search for "geocache movie murder" or similar.

Anyone know of it?

7. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

I've been geocaching since 2002, I cached religiouly for several months at first now I do it only once in a while. I still use my trusty old magellen meridian gold. I know there are lots of cool new ones but I figure if it ain't broke why buy a new one. It truly is a fun thing to do.

8. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

Looks like its called Are You Scared 2 - The Last Game You'll Ever Play...

Another reason to stick a CCW in my Jumbo. :winkwink:

9. NTRotty

NTRotty Loaded Pockets

[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]Anyone enjoy geocaching or letterboxing ? Looks like a great opportunity to get outdoors and procure some neat equipment/electronics, etc. [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size] [/size]

10. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

11. FinnFreak

FinnFreak Empty Pockets

Occasional cacher :-X

i just jumped into geocahce scene,and i just made my own cahce,and will activate it soon. :luck:

12. Finnigan

Finnigan Loaded Pockets

Not to dig up an old thread, but I'm a new geocacher. It has actually been a fun hobby to get the family outdoors. I like to take my wife and 2 young kids hiking through the parks, and the "treasure hunt" is just the thing to keep a 4 and 6 year old "semi"-interested (swag ALWAYS interests them.)

I started with my Mio C220 and found a couple of caches, but I don't recommend it for caching. We are doing much better now with a Lowrance iFinder Go. I would like to get something with a built in compass, but the budget isn't there for it.

That reminds me, I am in possession of a TB I need to find a home for.

13. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

I've heard of it but never done it...

I'm thinking about giving this a shot with the family. I think it would make for great family time a lots of learning opportunities for the kids (and really, all of us).

I do need to buy a GPS receiver, though. We already have a very basic street unit, so I don't need that feature. I'm also an off-roader, so I need to be able to load trails and maps onto it. The Lowrance H20C is popular with motorcycle racers and does everything I need it to for off-road. Will it also work for Geocaching?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/iFINDER-H2O-C/

EDIT: It appears that the newer "Endura" is possibly a better version... Thoughts?

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Endura/Endura-Out-Back/

Thanks in advance!

14. lovecraft47

lovecraft47 Empty Pockets

Heard of it, never done it. It seems fascinating. Like a more high tech version of letterboxing.

15. CopperKnight

CopperKnight Empty Pockets

That's exactly what it is. There are even some letterbox geocaches if you are into letterboxing.

16. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

There isn't any discussion in that thread about which GPS unit is best suited for Geocaching at a specific price range.

I've been looking at the Garmin eTrex series.
    Anyone have any recommendations for a 'mapping' unit.

To be honest I'm not sure if I need a mapping GPS.
    Anyone have suggestions for an investment in a geocaching GPS for under ~$250?

17. wenestvedt

I have a DeLorme PN-20 (the cheap one), and I love it.

It comes with the maps, which saves like $100. The car navigation features are de-emphasized compared to the caching/hiking features, but that's OK for me. (Often I can find my way around once the thing tells me where I am!)

- Will

18. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  19. wenestvedt

I just hid my second cache, and seeing the logs of cachers who found it is really exciting!

Last night I had my wife pick up a can of expanding foam so I can play around with making some fake rocks for a future hide.

- Will

20. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Finally got out and started caching again this last week. I still have a few active caches out there that I need to go do some maintenance on.