1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Geocaching knife? help please!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ryan34, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Not as tacticool or anything, but I keep a regular pruner in my fishing bag for when I need to clear shrubs or branches.

2. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

It's becoming a serious flaw of mine. :laugh:

3. Bagnerd

Bagnerd Loaded Pockets

My Brush Clearing Knife
    [​IMG]

4. Larwyn

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

I carry some kind of pocket knife and a multitool every day. Most often it is a Stockman's pocket knife and a SOG pocket power plier. I never ran into a situation while geocaching that made me feel that I needed anything different. I generally push branches and bush out of the way with a hiking stick, either one I brought with me or a makeshift one that I picked up on the trail. Geocaching requires no special tools that I am aware of, other than a gps.

5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

+1 to clueless (again no offense intended).... could just be the person is envisioning scenarios not entirely based on reality. :laugh:

+1 to leaving things undisturbed.

If your friend is absolutely adamant on his "brush clearing" stance, I would vote for something like:
    Both are considerably less imposing than a machete, easier to pack, and more importantly, marginally easier to "explain" to a LEO. It is better to have someone shake their head and roll their eyes rather than take out the handcuffs and ask you to turn around. :tickedoff:

ATB,
    Sam

6. Helrazr

Helrazr Loaded Pockets

Took the words right out of my mouth Defloyd!

7. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

Well, I have found a good multitool or SAK is useful when geocaching, but I've never seen the need for anything specialized. For instance one cache was supposed to dangle from a metal clip, but the cache had been damaged. I had to use my multitool to rebend the clip and reassemble the support it was dangling from to fix the cache. I don't clear brush though, I just bring a pair of gloves so I can it aside without scratches.

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you clear the brush around a geocache, in addition to violating geocaching ethics, you make the cache more visible to vandals, kids, or geocache-haters and make the game less fun for the geocacher who comes along.