1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gentleman's sheepsfoot

Discussion in 'Knives' started by InMused, Jun 25, 2013.

1. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I am looking for a classy sheepsfoot (read gentleman's folder) to compliment my Pingo. I am looking at a Kershaw Coral Creek at the moment.

[​IMG]

An suggestions on something different?

GrayMouser, LefsaBL and warchild like this.
  2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Greenjeans and InMused like this.
  3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thank you for not hot-linking:D That Kershaw looks good!

4. mlehto

mlehto Loaded Pockets

No offense but to me that Kershaw(like most of em ;)) looks like a $2 chinese corner store knife....

I vote for the knife in my Avatar if you want to show some class. ;)

It's a Wharncliffe blade, but the cutting edge is the same. Seems more classy and doesn't scream "utility" like the Sheepsfoot.

Case Swayback Jack:

[​IMG]

5. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

6. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

How much are you looking to spend on this knife?

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

Depends.
    In Australia the Kershaw is about $30 and the Boker about $200.
    $30 is heading towards cheap and nasty in my books, but $200 means I don;t get one for a while. I would be happy around AU$80 to AU$100.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

The Case Swayback shown above is a good choice. There's also a single blade version called the Swayback Gent.

Sheepsfoot blades can be hard to find outside of congress and half congress models and you don't want a larger rope/rigging knife. Great Eastern makes several of the congress/half congress models but it might be tough to get one for your $80-100 range assuming it would have to be bought from a US vendor and then shipped to AUS.

There's also the Victorinox Gardner. Very affordable. Not cheap feeling, at least to me, but not something that would be considered classy. Still, a durable and useful knife.

[​IMG]

9. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I agree that the Kershaw is not exactly a gentleman's knife. It looks more like a working man's knife to me (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but not what the OP is looking for). I'd also agree that a multiblade slipjoint makes a great classy gentleman's knife, and they can be had at a modest price.

I'm not a big fan of the wharncliffe style blade, though. The spine of the blade is very thin at the tip, making it more fragile than the sheepsfoot blade. I like the beefy point of a sheepsfoot because it's sturdy, and less likely to be damaged.

My favorite slipjoint pattern is the "Stockman", which traditionally has a clip point, a sheepsfoot, and a smaller spey blade. The clip-point blade is nice for whittling and general knifer work, the spey blade is fine for smaller jobs, and sheepsfoot is nice for razor cuts and is outstanding for package opening. I EDC one in my pocket and it is my most used knife.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picture, you can get a rather handsome looking stockman for not too much money. This CASE pocketknife is a nicer one for about 50 bucks. You can get less expensive ones that also look nice, or you can shell out a lot more to get one that's magnificent. But the CASE knives are classy and perform well at a pretty affordable price point.

It's also worth noting that stockman-pattern knives are commonly available in small, medium, and large sizes. I EDC a medium, but I really like the large ones too, and I may start carrying one soon to test it out.

Gravy likes this.
  10. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys...crowd sourcing at it's best.

So far I have a 3 knife short list based on your suggestions. I agree that the Kershaw is a little utilitarian. My desired EDC Gentlemans folder is a AL MAr Eagle Ultralight...but it is too threatning a blade for my location and occupation.

Short List:

No 1: Boker Cox Slim - Micarta scales
    [​IMG]

No 2: Based on suggestions of Stockman knives: GEC Tidioute Jack Knife in Ebony
    [​IMG]

No 3: Found this one myself but it has been reinforced by juigatame's sugestion - Vic Florist
    [​IMG]

11. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

That's not a stockman (a stockman has three blades), but I really can't fault you on this selection. Those GECs are usually drop-dead gorgeous, and that one looks particularly nice. I may have to add that to MY wishlist.

Racer, jag-engr and InMused like this.
  12. jimw451
    • In Omnia Paratus

jimw451 Loaded Pockets

Nice find on the GEC Jack Knife. Wow, that's a looker!

InMused likes this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The Boker Cox is not a true sheepsfoot blade, though - it has a slight belly to the blade. In my experience, this makes for the absolute best EDC blade.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

GEC is making a run of their #15 Boys Knife(3.5" closed) with a sheepsfoot blade. First ones will be EZ open (cutout in handle to allow the blade to be plucked open). They should be out in the next month. It's a much slimmer pattern than the one pictured above (#25 3" closed).

15. wundergussy

wundergussy Loaded Pockets

16. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

i apologize for wrong information, we can call it "improved hybrid sheepsfoot" then, :ninja:

TDS likes this.
  17. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

If I could get one of those with a large spear point and a small sheepsfoot that would be just about perfect.

18. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

With GEC you never know, something with a spearpoint and coping secondary may show up at some point in the future.

19. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

It looks like they have every possible combination of scale and blade style covered in every possible way whilst looking the same.