1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

General Question: Soapy water on first two rinse on a new bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Byfrost, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

Hi all

I noticed that usually the first one or two washes (with plain tap water) of a new (Cordura / regular Nylon) bag, the water would be very "soapy / oily". Is it due to the properties of Nylon plastics, or just some leftover chemicals from the factory? I don't use any form of soap or detergent to wash my bag. I just do a quick rinse from the tap to rinse and wash and then sun dry my bags. This "soapy" phenomenon will go away usually on the third wash. Is this normal?

I noticed this phenomenon on a few brand new bag washes, but below is a photo I took today while washing my 5.11 MOAB6.

[​IMG]

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Does the bag have a waterproof coating?

3. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

Do you wash your bag new or when it’s dirty?

4. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

No idea, But I guess so.

5. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

When it's dirty with my sweat. I sweat a lot and it absorbs mostly on the area touching my back. Hence I tend to rinse my bag once a month for a EDC bag, while weekend bags will be rinsed roughly once every 2 - 3 months depending on usage. Take note though the soapy water phenomenon also happens on the front panel area of my bag as well as the internals of my bag, which I can confirm no sweat contact on it.

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

It's either a waterproofing coating you see there that you are forcing off the fabric. If the bag used to have a little resistance to rain (droplets forming on the fabric that run down) and after a wash like this less so it's probably that. The other option is that it's an anti rot/bacterial impregnation for long term storage of the fabric/bag that's being dissolved.

And last but not least it could be something you unknowingly add to the bag yourself by placing it somewhere it's exposed to filth or fat.

7. Byfrost

Byfrost Loaded Pockets

I can confirm that it is not filth or fat. Because this happens on ALL my nylon based bags on first two washes. I take care of my bags well and I remember which parts gets dirty etc..