1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gear tracking via Raspberry Pie/Ardunio system

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by KMAC179, Feb 12, 2015.

1. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

So, this is what I want:

A small GPS board encased in a waterproof/shockproof housing with a GSM board/pre-paid SIM card. If I loose a bag (or it gets stolen...again) send a text to it, and it sends me a text back every (x) minutes with its' GPS coordinates.

I know its possible..I just have no idea how to do it.

Last edited by KMAC179, Feb 12, 2015
  2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Simplest would be an old android phone hooked to a power supply. Then use the Device Manager feature via Google. Same as the DIY loJack systems.

Load it with Tasker if you want to do it via Text messages. Sign up for one of those phone services where you only pay for it on the days you use it.

3. sarxsvt

sarxsvt Loaded Pockets

These exist as a pre-made solution. We employ some at work.

The only issue with them is that you still have to charge them and the tags only have a few days of battery life per charge.

I'll try to find the manufacturer for you later today.

mole and cheeser like this.
  4. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

Adafruit has a couple gps shields one of which is very small and fits well with their gemma/flora boards. They've even got small lipo batts so one-stop shop ;) Their "ultimate" has gsm iirc but worst case I hear theyre working on a separate board for GSM. Should be able to fit it all in a pelican 0915 or the like

5. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

Yeah the plan is to put it all in a small pelican case and keep it in the bottom of my "Contingency Bag", hook it up to a 10,000 mAh battery, and then plug the whole bag into the 12v outlet in the back of the truck. I am more worried about writing the code rather than building it. I will look into the android phone like Phatch suggested, I am not familiar as I am an Apple guy.

6. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

You can buy them for pet collars, I got one for my cat but it arrived roughly twice the size of a zippo, I wouldn't have lost her, she'd have been where I put her down with that around her neck lol

7. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

They make things like these. I'll see if I can find the website, but it's basically a board made to go on RC aircraft (higher end stuff like camera drones, rather than smaller hobby planes) so that if you lose it, you can track it. They're made to withstand a decent crash so I there's the shockproof. I don't think it'd be too hard to waterproof it.

8. TangoMike

TangoMike Loaded Pockets

Actually I found it. Google rc drone locator, and it should be the first result (well there's others as well) And has a battery that they claim lasts 12 days.
    They say it sends you a text with the location, and a link for Google Earth.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about a Nokia Treasure Tag? FS: Spyderco PM2, Case Trapperlock with Clip, Nokia Treasure Tag (Updated 2/16/15) IDK if it does all that, but it does something :)

10. Thechansen

Thechansen Loaded Pockets

Groupon has a ZTE Force through freedompop. You don't pay for basic service. The phone is $70. Load a few apps on that (like tasked mentioned earlier) and you have a DIY LoJack. I use this setup with my scooter.