1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gear Review: Button Compass

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Vic303, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Button Compass:
    It’s small and light, but lacks any way to attach it to anything, short of epoxy. I think if it were slipped in a pocket, the face would rapidly become obscured through scratches to the point of becoming unreadable. It does have a tiny bit of glow paint on it, but it fades so rapidly as to be pointless—you have to charge it with a flashlight (5 sec charge from Fenix L1P) and then it fades within one minute to the point I could no longer read the letters. You can still make out which arrow is N, as it is larger than the other three however.

My next thought was to let the kids play with it, so they could have a compass to experiment with. After all, they are mostly past the “smashing things” stage…and they love to Geocache. However it is so small, it is an ingestion risk with very minor children like mine.

Like most compasses, the button compass is rather sensitive to deflection from external sources—computer monitor, small magnet, other bits of random metal like a knife sheath with knife, etc. The other thing I noted with the button compass is it pointed ‘northerly’ but not north. At least when compared to my Silva and an old BSA compass, it was off by approximately 10deg to the W.

All in all, I found it useful for gross direction finding, but I wouldn’t want to navigate by it. Available at EDCDepot.com for $5.99.
    [​IMG]

2. el_diabl0

el_diabl0 Loaded Pockets

3. Maddhatter3

Maddhatter3 Empty Pockets

I grabbed one of these for my emergency pouch. Just in case. I haven't had to use is as a primary compass but as a backup it's great. Also the Tiger cub den that I run loves them. I got them all one when we did the Map and Compass beltloop. No compliants from them. :)