1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gear I lost in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by apache119, Oct 15, 2011.

1. apache119

apache119 Loaded Pockets

It pains me to write this, but I lost some kit that was very near and dear to me on my recent deployment to Afghanistan. I am a Loadmaster in the USAF, read this list and weep.

The List:

1 Surefire Minimus headlamp. I lost this beauty within the first ten minutes of being on the ground at Bagram. I had gotten into the habit of keeping all of my most used gear in a little Stanley FatMax toolbag. This enabled me to have quick access to the tool I use most often while flying. I had the Minumus tucked away in one of the external pouches and it must have fallen out when we were transloading our gear into trucks to take to the Ops center. It was pitch black out on the Airfield so there was no way I could find it later. I have replaced this since returning to home station. My new one came with a red filter so that is a bonus!

1 EDC Custom Clicky flashlight from HDS Systems. This one made my heart stop when I realized it was gone forever. Needless to say, these flashlights are not cheap so this was a blow to my mind and wallet when I lost it. I'm not entirely sure where I lost it but I think it fell out of my flight suit pocket when I went running after a guy that left his ID card on my plane. We had just dropped off a bunch of guys at this one airfield when I noticed his ID laying on the floor. I picked it up and hustled after him, that must have resulted in the light shuffling loose from the pocket I had it clipped on. I am not going to be buying another one of these for a while. At least until I know I am able to keep track of it properly.

1 Pair of Oakley sunglasses. Lost these when I wasn't even flying. I think I left them at the Moral building while I was making a pot of coffee. I have a bad history with Oakley's since I always seem to loose them within the first week of having them.

Funny story, a guy left his sunglasses on the plane. I ended up keeping them, then I lost them the very next day. That's a total of two pairs of sunglasses lost in two months.

My WA State Driver's licence, my Credit Card, My ID card. These all flew out of my pocket on the night of my first flight in country. I had put them in the zippered pocket on my arm and I must have forgotten to zip it. Luckily one of the aircraft maintainers found my ID card the next day but the credit card and driver's license are chilling in the sun somewhere at Bagram today.

I also lost a PDA, numerous pens and pencils, and a few rolls of duct tape.
    So that's it. I really need to come up with a system for keeping track of my gear. Any suggestions?

2. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Man, you have some bad mojo. I would be annoyed without end had I lost similar gear. First thing that comes to my mind is to secure a light with a lanyard and clip it to your pants. You could also get a pouch like this one: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/84105-Moe-s-EDC?p=1068242&viewfull=1#post1068242. It's good to always keep your essentials in it and on you, more secure than keeping them in pockets. And you might want to get a badge/ID holder for your licence and ID Card. I recommend this one (yeah a bit pricey but outstanding and with great details): http://www.octactical.com/IDholder.html.

Hope that helps. Good luck to you.

3. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

It all can be replaced it just gear. You can buy more it suck's though:(
    I am glad you got home safe. You will be able to find all the help here that you need to get a better system for your edc going.

4. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Thank you

John 15:13: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend’’

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My dad used to talk about the things he lost in the war. He had two planes shot out from under him, and a couple of jumps behind enemy lines, and a short stint in a POW camp, so lots of opportunities to lose stuff.

6. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

Thank you

John 15:13: "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friend’’

AMEN Brother you got to keep the only irreplaceable piece of gear you have!

7. apache119

apache119 Loaded Pockets

mpi and jda, thank YOU for caring about the troops. It is far too easy for people to forget about the people behind the operations in Today's wars.

Mr. Moe, that ID pouch looks like a winner, but it's currently out of stock!

I figure a lot of the problem I had in Afghanistan revolved around my current backpack at the time. It did not have a great organization system. In fact, it just has two pockets to dump things in and that's about it. That led me to carrying around a separate tool bag that did not have adequate retention for my gear. I also have never had a lanyard on any of my knives or flashlights so that is something I am going to rectify.

My new system is built around a RUSH 72 from 5.11 Tactical, two 6.10 pouches on the side, a 6.6 Medical pouch as my custom first aid kit, along with a MOAB 10 mounted on the front. This system has plenty of room for expansion and allows me to have a compartment-able kit rather than one big mess.

Here is a comparison of my old Blackhawk! backpack with my new digs:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Magnaminous_G

Magnaminous_G Loaded Pockets

I can tell you exactly why you lost that gear. It's not because you were irresponsible or absent-minded. It's the same reason why people are constantly losing umbrellas. The basic reason is because you were doing something new: basically, you got thrown out of your rhythm, and that confuses us and makes us lose track of things because we have to concentrate on navigating a new situation. Most people don't carry an umbrella most days, so the first day they carry one, they set it down in a restaurant... and never pick it up again. They only remember it when they get home and think, ":censored:! I left my umbrella at that restaurant."

The trick is to remind yourself when you are going into a new environment or carrying a new item, "I need to be at orange-alert when it comes to my gear because I'm going into a new situation that's gonna make me lose concentration about my stuff."

9. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

First off, Thank You for doing what you do! Without you guys/gals we wouldn't be where we are today... So my hat is off to you.
    Secondly, the only gear you really need to worry about is the gray matter between your ears! Anything else can be replaced or fixed (in general :) )

Lastly, think of losing gear as an excuse to upgrade! :) (I try to see the positive in everything ;) )

As Griffin says... "Be Well"

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

O0

Thank you! for your Service to our Country.

I need your mailing address,please.

I'd like to donate a custom over-the-belt-to-knife-or-flashlight-lanyard, made by my friend DahlKen,over on BLADE....who is a disabled Navy Veteran.

Since I just happen to own the World's Largest Private Collection Of DahlKen Lanyards,, I'd be selfish not to send you one,after reading your story.

My email address is in my signature line.

~Gnarly :evilgrin:

11. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Gnarly, you are one class act! :)

12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Nope....the Original Poster is the class act here.

I was to report for physical & assignment to basic training on a Monday....on Thursday before Monday got here,the Vietnam War was de-escalated.

Lost lotsa friends,there. And in global conflicts,since.

A personal goal of mine----as soon as I find out someone is Active Duty,or a Veteran----is to shake their hand and thank them for their Service to our Country.

We owe them that,and more.

~Gnarly :evilgrin:

13. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Ok... Fine... Both of you are class acts. :) :p

14. Tuirrenn

Tuirrenn Loaded Pockets

Ouch, but better your gear gets lost than you, glad you are home safe. There is a reason why I never took too much personal gear with me when I was in the army.

I refuse to buy another pair of Oakleys, I never lost a pair but they always seems to get broken or scratched on me, so I'm sticking with my cheap(ish) shades for the forseeable future.

15. vizsla

vizsla Loaded Pockets

gutted for you