1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Let's talk hydration :)

I drink at least a gallon of water every day. I have been getting along just fine for several months drinking out of the gallon water jugs the water comes packaged in. I don't bother putting it in the fridge; I just drink it in its lukewarm state. No problem. Fast forward to a few weeks back when we had insanely hot days over a couple week time period. Hotter than even the usual hot/humid ness of summers in the South. Also factor in lots of busy days at work running nonstop (a good percentage of patients being heat stroke/dehydration related) and I was getting my butt kicked. I was tired of having to grab my water jug from behind my seat over and over any time I wanted a sip and tired of my water being scorching hot sitting in the truck. FYI ambulances don't stay cool no matter how high you crank the AC cause every so often you're throwing open the doors to grab the stretcher and poof there goes all your cool air. So I tried to start using my old Nalgene 32 oz bottles again. At one point I walked into the ER staff lounge and filled up my Nalgene half with ice and half with cool water from the machine. Walked out to the ambulance and within two minutes all the ice had melted :nah_disagree: Plus every time I attempted to drink water in the precious few minutes it was cold I had condensation dripping all over my uniform. Thus I went on a hunt for a solution...

I came across the Hydro Flask brand perusing this forum. I did some research and read some reviews on this site and others. The price tag hurt but I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a 32 oz Orange Zest Hydro Flask to try out. Wow! This thing is awesome. It will literally keep ice up to 24 hrs. I've actually had one part of an ice cube left at the 25 hour mark. Even when the ice eventually melts you still have a few more hours of insanely cold water. After a couple day trial run, I immediately bought a second one in the Green Zen color to use off-duty. I also bought a Pinkadelic one for my best friend (unfortunately pink is her favorite color). The greatest thing about this water bottle is ZERO condensation! None, not-ta, not a single drop. It is wonderful. I can put the bottle on my car seat or sit it in my bag and have no issues whatsoever with it getting everything wet. My clothes can now stay dry while I drink. And I've now been spoiled by how great it is to have ice cold water while you're outside in the heat. Thus this week I also purchased the 64 oz huge growler version in Black Butte. It's purpose will be to bring along on all day excursions so I can use it to refill my other ones. So without further ado, here are the pics :)

[​IMG]

Ignore the fact that they're University of Miami colors. That was an unfortunate fact I didn't think about until I took the pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put a cool climbing decal on my best friend's. I'll be giving it to her when she deploys soon.

As an aside, I finally got ahold of the straw lid that is out of stock everywhere right now. I tried it for a day, but then went back to the regular cap. It's pros: I love the finger loop to carry it around. It allows one-handed operation. The cons: Doesn't insulate as well. Just didn't like it because I'd rather chug my water than drink out of a straw. That's just personal preference though. I'll keep it in my cupboard so I can change it out if I so desire. Straw lid seen in this pic:

[​IMG]

CLIFF NOTES VERSION: I RECOMMEND HYDRO FLASK BOTTLES WHOLE-HEARTEDLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary Gross, Nekolf, CatsTide and 27 others like this.
  2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

:rofl: Thanks for the laugh and the great review!

3. GatorMedic

Glad you liked it :)

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That backpack looks familiar. :D

How's it working for you? :D

5. GatorMedic

Which one?

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

7. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Hadnt tnought about using the 64oz to refill smaller ones, thanks. And we love our hydros as well. Congrats

8. GatorMedic

I'm confused. I didn't post a pic of the Camelbak Mule... If you're referring to this pic:

[​IMG]

That is my trusty Multicam 5.11 Rush 12 underneath the jacket. I use that as my ambulance bag every shift. In reference to the Mule, I'm ashamed to admit I haven't even used it yet

Nekolf, vinniec5, ManVsLawn and 7 others like this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Lol - sorry, my bad. I saw Multicam and automatically assumed. But I should have realized the buckles were wrong.

Nekolf, ManVsLawn, vegassprky and 2 others like this.
  10. GatorMedic

It's all good. It's camo; it's supposed to confuse your vision :p

Nekolf, ManVsLawn, thePlumbah and 5 others like this.
  11. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great gear GatorMedic your thoughts on Hydroflask made me order a 32 and 64oz set in blue and stainless. I'm also interested in the Streamlight lanterns. Would you be able to take a pic of them lit in a dark room? I'm curious how bright each version is.

Nekolf, ManVsLawn, Nomad55 and 4 others like this.
  12. GatorMedic

You're going to love them. I have a few friends and coworkers that are looking into buying them as well now that they've seen the awesome-ness of mine :)

I can try to take some pics of the Siege in a dark room but my iPhone is my only camera so not sure how it'll turn out. I'll give it a shot though

13. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

14. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I remember thinking it was cool you have a Shield/PJ combo (same as me), but reading this made me laugh out loud.

The Blackout was my first "real" knife too...bought it not long after they came out, had it almost 15 years at this point. Bought a couple cheap ones before that, same as you, although I didn't know it was any better quality at the time. My best friend had ordered one (the combo edge version) from a catalog and I just thought it was too cool. It was my literal EDC for many years (before I had ever heard of EDC), first knife I learned to sharpen (way too late). I've gotten to where I don't carry it much; even though it isn't a traditional or heirloom knife it has sentimental value for me at this point. Only been carrying it this week or so because I've been too busy to keep up with sharpening my Delica.

Don't see that model much, glad to see someone else shares a liking of them. I guess they still sell 'em for a reason.

15. GatorMedic

I bought these online yesterday :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited by GatorMedic, Aug 16, 2015
  16. GatorMedic

We're EDC soul mates lol. Although my Blackout doesn't see a whole lot of use anymore, mine retains sentimental value as well. I actually came across a second one I had a month or two ago. I had lost one and bought a replacement a few years back only to find the lost one a couple months later. Apparently I had lost track of it again as I only just re-discovered it. Last year I saw a cop wearing one on his vest on scene and got a little giddy. Told him I loved that knife and he said he did as well. I get happy/nostalgic any time someone mentions the Blackout or I see someone carrying it. :)

17. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

Nice! Picked up my puppies some Gators and Dolphins jerseys at Petsmart

18. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Nice. Keep an eye out on the thumb stud screw. Mine came loose somehow after 10+ years and I randomly found it at work after it fell out (the day after I gave up and contacted Kershaw). They did send me new parts out, but not matching ones. I threw some Loc-Tite on mine when I put it back on.

19. GatorMedic

This is the D model in a standard 13x9 room. (Due to door angles and such you can only see part of the room but you get the point.)

[​IMG]
    Lowest white setting

[​IMG]
    Highest white setting

[​IMG]
    Red setting

I forgot to take a pic of the medium white setting.

ManVsLawn, Nekolf, vinniec5 and 7 others like this.
  20. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to take the pics.

ManVsLawn, Nekolf, vinniec5 and 6 others like this.