1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Man the Benchmade Bugout they just released blindsided me. The Bugout seems to combine all the features I like about my two off-duty EDCs--the Benchmade 940-2 and the Southern Grind Spider Monkey. It has the slimness, lightness, and disappear in the pocket ability of the 940-2, along with it's warranty and good customer service backing it up. It has the blade length, general blade shape, and short pocket clip of the Spider Monkey. And everyone knows I'm a sucker for that 3.25" blade length because that is my favorite. I definitely plan on getting one sometime--hopefully I can work it out sooner rather than later. Might be selling off both the Spider Monkey and 940-2 if the Bugout is everything I hope it will be. Really the only reservation I have on it is how I will like the blue handles day in and day out.

surefire7 likes this.
  2. GatorMedic

First impression is I f***ing love this knife! So incredibly slim and lightweight. Blade is perfect length and shape. Axis lock is nice and smooth as expected. Pocket clip is awesome look and size, but I do need to loosen it up. My knife came with perfect centering and edge grinds to my eye. And man is this thing sharp! Picked it up in a flipping type motion after taking the last pic and it was so light that the edge ended up hitting the side of my finger. Honestly if I hadn't been looking at myself I would have no idea I had cut myself until I saw all the blood because it nicked me so effortlessly. I made sure I didn't bleed on it as I went inside for a bandaid lol. I'm going to be carrying it obviously every day, and if it continues to impress it might be time for me to say goodbye to my 940-2. I'm already in the process of selling my Southern Grind Spider Monkey. Now on to the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rainy, Treya, Nick4305 and 2 others like this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The Bugout may very well be my next knife. I had never owned a Benchmade, but on a whim picked up a Mini Barrage at Blade Show 2016. It's been my primary EDC since. Looking at your pics of the Bugout, it could very well bump the Mini Barrage. I like the slim profile and especially like the shorter, deep carry clip. I do hope they come out with more color options, but that's not a huge deal.

Thanks for posting this...even though it's probably going to end up costing me money!;)

GatorMedic likes this.
  4. GatorMedic

I'd imagine you'd like this knife since you like your Barrage. They appear to have similar blades. The short pocket clip is awesome. Doesn't draw your eye as much as a longer pocket clip, and less area to potentially scrape the pocket clip against (for example leaning over into my truck bed I sometimes scrape my pocket clip against the side of my truck). If there had been more color options, and I'm mainly referring to black, then I don't think I would have ever purchased the blue. However, I actually like the blue a lot more than I thought I would. Prior to actually getting mine in hand, I figured if it ever came out in black I would probably switch mine out for a black one. But now I'm not so sure I would because I'm actually digging the blue. For now at least, time will ultimately tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.
  5. GatorMedic

And then there were four...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whittled my knife "collection" down from six to four. In order from top to bottom: Esee 4, Spyderco Pacific Salt, Benchmade Griptilian (custom with S30V blade and black G10 handles), and Benchmade Bugout. Will probably make a future post for each describing what I use each for and why each particular knife fits the role for me. Never would have guessed that out of four knives I own only one would be black. Kind of interesting how that worked out.

Nick4305 likes this.
  6. GatorMedic

Out with the old and in with the new:

[​IMG]

Upgraded my hiking pack from the old Osprey Stratos 24 (light blue) to the 2017 model Stratos 34 (navy blue). I needed to upgrade packs because I stupidly bought S/M in the 24 which ended up being too short for my torso. I was living with it, but I wanted a little more room in the pack as well for longer hikes. When I saw the upgraded features on the new model Stratos, I was sold. Waited for it to go on sale and then scooped it up. Loving the extra pockets on it. It was always a mash of items in the big pocket that I have to move to get the item I need which is invariably on the bottom or squeezed in between multiple things. Now I keep a FAK in the sleeping bag pouch and Coda's leash in the front zip down pocket, both nice and out of the way since I only have these items for just in case. This new pack being M/L with adjustable height harness makes for a good fit on me after tweaking it around. Now I just need a day off and good weather to take it on its maiden voyage :)

Nick4305, Gary Gross and Rainy like this.