1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

My 940-2 came in yesterday apparently!!! I was getting mad because it still said it hadn't even shipped yet. Low and behold it had already arrived. First impression is I like it. I'm surprised by the G10 handle. I figured it would be more coarse rather than very smooth like it is. That's not good or bad, just an observation. It really is light and disappears in the pocket. Love that it is so slim and unobtrusive in the pocket so you can easily get other things in and out of the pocket without any hassle. Since I bought it more as a nice clothes knife I'll probably be changing out the clip for a deep carry version soon. I can already see why this knife is so highly regarded as EDC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and RED-FIVE like this.
  2. GatorMedic

Well my knife collection has changed a good bit over the last couple weeks so figure it's time for updated pics of the folders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From top to bottom:

1. Southern Grind Spider Monkey - Off Work EDC
    2. Benchmade Griptilian (Custom) - Duty EDC
    3. Benchmade Mini Griptilian (Ritter) - Back Up and Small Option Carry if needed for legal reasons
    4. Benchmade 940-2 - Nice Clothes Carry
    5. Spyderco Pacific Salt - Beach/Kayaking/Boating Carry

All in all that's five folders. My Spider Monkey and my custom Grip have the EDC roles locked down. The others are just for specific scenario use. I don't really have any particular need for the Ritter Mini Grip at this time because I don't go anywhere that has laws requiring a less than three inch blade. You'll notice I took off the micarta scales and am selling those. But the Ritter knife itself was a gift and I feel like holding on to it for now. My fixed blades haven't changed; I still have a Mora Companion and an Esee 4.

3. GatorMedic

Decided to pick up a 32 oz Hydro Flask with a straw lid. Began stickering it up and it appears Coda is happy with my choices ;)

[​IMG]

Gym55Rat, Nick4305 and FLbeachbum like this.
  4. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

Awww...how cute.

GatorMedic likes this.
  5. BigKurtHaze
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

BigKurtHaze Loaded Pockets

Look at you, with a whole collection. :cool:
    Hope things have been going good with you, Gator.

GatorMedic likes this.
  6. GatorMedic

Lol it's changing yet again. I'm going to put my Ritter Mini Grip up for sale as soon as I put the micarta scales back on it. The excess just bothered me. It seems 4 folders and 2 fixed is my sweet point. Things have been going good. Major changes are coming in my life and career, and I'm excited to get started on a new path :)

#366 GatorMedic, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    BigKurtHaze likes this.
  7. GatorMedic

Thanks! I might be biased but I think she's the cutest pup ever :)

[​IMG]

8. FLbeachbum

What a beautiful smiling face! And she sits so well. I need to get more recent pics of my dog but he moves every time he sees a camera.

GatorMedic likes this.
  9. GatorMedic

For those who might be interested, I posted a bunch of random stuff up for sale in my sale thread on this forum. Everything from knives to flashlights to FAK supplies to watches to water bottles to pens to sunglasses, etc.

10. GatorMedic

Kudos to Hydro Flask. As most know, I use my Hydro Flasks every day and absolutely love them. Well I had to use their warranty service for the first time as my blue one developed a small rust spot (about the size of a pencil eraser) on the lip. It bothered me just enough that I decided to send it in, and today I received a brand new replacement. It's the only one out of 9 HFs I've owned over the years to develop a problem but I'm thankful they have a lifetime warranty and stand by it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick4305 and Gary Gross like this.
  11. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey GatorMedic, I know I speak for many members here on EDCF when I say this to those whose who work as FR's. I've been wanting to say this for a while, so here goes...

Thank you for your service to the community. It's a job not many can do. It's also a job that many do well. Best wishes and much good to you in the future as you move forward.

I have also appreciated the times over the years you shared your professional/personal gear. "EDC Perspectives From the Daily Grind". I've always found it informative, especially concerning the bags/packs and the way they're put to use. Thank you for sharing. Btw cute pup!
    rf

Gary Gross and GatorMedic like this.
  12. GatorMedic

@RED-FIVE Thank you for the kind words :)

RED-FIVE likes this.
  13. GatorMedic

It's the end of an era. Specifically it's the end of my 5.11 bags era. As this thread attests to, I've owned many 5.11 bags over the years. I believe seven in all, if I remember correctly. They have all been outstanding for me, and performed admirably for my needs at various stages. All but my black Rush 12 have already been sold off when the roles they filled ceased. Now it's time for my lone holdout to go serve someone else as well. It's a fantastic pack, but no longer having a need for it has just relegated it to closet desertion. I'm sure it will get a second life of trusted use with a new owner.

As an aside, I've made big steps towards minimalism the last couple months. About three or four weeks ago I did a massive overhaul of my entire place. I've sold, donated, or given away about 65-70% of my stuff within the last month. It's such a freeing sensation. I'm not done; every day I continue to cull another item or two. But with each thing I feel a weight lifting off of me. This philosophy clashes with this forum in a lot of ways of course. So y'all will be seeing less of me. I'll still come in my own thread from time to time show pictures and stuff for those that get value from my thread though.

RED-FIVE, thatotherguy and surefire7 like this.
  14. GatorMedic

Today is my pup's 2nd birthday! It should have been a joyous occasion. And indeed it started out that way. Got her a nice birthday cake (pretend the icing is royal blue not navy--they messed up) and used my Mora Companion for my most favorite task yet in cutting her a piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately about 15 minutes after these pics were taken we were berated and threatened. I took Coda to a nearby pier (that dogs are allowed on) to give her her birthday cake. After we hung out there for a little while we started walking the fairly long pier back to the parking lot. About halfway across we turned a corner and a man and two kids about 6-10 yrs old were walking down the pier towards us. They saw Coda and the man immediately moved back to the point of the pier that branches off and they went down the branch to wait because they didn't want to walk by Coda. Ok no problem. Coda is walking one foot in front of me, completely nice (not pulling, not making any noise, not making any gestures), and I'm controlling her on the leash with only needing one finger. We get to the branch off and Coda kept going straight, didn't do anything except turn her head to look at them standing a few feet away. Did not make one move towards them, didn't make a noise, didn't make any threatening gestures, just kept walking straight with a mere head turn. The man proceeds to start cussing me out about how dare I let my dog look at him. I'm still walking with my mouth shut trying to keep my cool. I'm five feet further down the pier and this :censored: is still cussing me out. So I stop, turn around, and ask this man if he has a problem with my dog. At this point he's back on the main boardwalk and he continues to berate me. I told him my dog isn't doing anything to you and did nothing but turn her head as she walked past. During this Coda is standing by my side. Now he turns goes back to the branch where some of his stuff is and starts threatening me while he starts vigorously digging through his bag for what I assume is a gun. I'm insanely pissed and armed but I'm not about to get in a gun fight in which my current spot puts a bullet from my gun possibly going through him and into the two kids that are just watching all this. So I turn and leave again, shaking in a rage and that man continued to yell and threaten me even after I got off the pier and back to my truck. Had my life threatened because my dog "looked" at someone. Stay classy humankind.

15. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Well, that's quite a story. Looked like Coda had a good time anyway. That's quite a neat doggy B-day cake. Good job keeping your cool. Some people just have to find a way to argue. Had to deal with someone like that today myself. Best to do as you did and just stay out of their way. Eventually they'll do something catastrophically stupid and it's best not to be nearby when that happens. Stay frosty!

GatorMedic likes this.
  16. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Even though your were packing, you walked away to live at tell this story. In this case, perhaps the best gun fight is the one you never had to fight. Well done.

GatorMedic likes this.
  17. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Perhaps the saddest part of the story is that the 2 kids had to witness the extreme idiocy. Hopefully they won't turn out like dad.

FLbeachbum, Water-Rat and GatorMedic like this.
  18. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

BTW happy belated Coda!

GatorMedic likes this.
  19. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I did the downsizing too awhile back.. I went from pack to sling to messenger to what I use now.. A lapg bug out bag or their zombie hunter bag... Don't need much else... Although I'm still hunting for a tin or case the size of a m4 magazine to fit into the pouches on the bug out bag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GatorMedic likes this.
  20. FLbeachbum

Happy birthday Coda. Hope the two of you had a good time celebrating despite the stupid classless ranting of some idiot.

GatorMedic likes this.