1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

The work experiment with the full size Grip isn't working out. I have so much muscle memory with the Auto Presidio that I literally don't have to give it any conscious thought at all. I've only had to use the Grip so far to cut into Saran wrapped baskets, but man I have to stop what I'm doing and consciously think about how to deploy it, close it, and put it back. Sounds strange, but that is a huge thing to me as a medic. It takes time and throws me off my routine. I'm guessing that if I gave it enough time I'd eventually develop the muscle memory with it. But why? I already have a great work knife, so no reason to screw that up for no legit reason. Although I did enjoy its light weight making me not even realize it was there until needed. I'll carry the Grip one more time tomorrow because I'm superstitious and need to finish out this string of shifts with it, but then it's going up for sale in BST section. Hopefully it'll go to someone who will use the heck out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. drunkengarbagecan

drunkengarbagecan Loaded Pockets

Your Multicam Rush 12 started my 5.11 Multicam addiction (Moab 6,10, Rush 12 and 24)!!!!

GatorMedic likes this.
  3. GatorMedic

Glad it could serve as your gateway drug ;)

Gary Gross likes this.
  4. GatorMedic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple pics from trail hiking with the pup today. Lee, the Southern Grind Spider Monkey knife, is enjoying being my off duty EDC. The title is official now. The other day there were numerous break ins all around my place, including a coworker who had her tv, tablet, etc stolen out of her house. Coda was barking and going into guard dog mode several times that night, and now I know why. So I took a few more precautions than I normally do before I went to work these last couple days. Included in that was I hid Lee before I left (Auto is my work knife so that was being carried). It hit me that it was the only knife I hid so I realized it has become a favorite.

Water-Rat, Gary Gross and twin63 like this.
  5. GatorMedic

You didn't actually think I have all this gear for me, did you? Nope. It's all just to help out Coda. For example putting together her extra bed tonight. As you can tell by her impatient look I wasn't doing it fast enough for her lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But she enjoyed the fruits of my labor ;)

6. Barlow96

Barlow96 Empty Pockets

I have looked through this thread it's nice. It also makes me look good to my wife. So I showed her. I don't buy so much stuff now compared to you. I am just now getting into everyday carry and based buying my rush 12 off you. I will be using it to work ambulance part time, coming this February. I also today recieved a Moab 6 for my going back and forth to the station with.

Water-Rat and GatorMedic like this.
  7. GatorMedic

Lol glad I could make you look good to your wife ;) I went through a cycle when I joined this forum. I started getting into the EDC and seeing all the cool things on this forum. I went on a buying spree and got lots of nice stuff. But then one day I noticed how much stuff I had accumulated and how much of it sat around unused. Then I had a massive sell off and I've still been steadily selling things off. I'm down to a core of four folding knives, two fixed blade knives, three backpacks, two duffle bags, and ten flashlights. I might trim down a little more (looking at you flashlights...), but I like where I'm at currently overall. I think you're going to love the Rush 12. It's a fantastic bag, and it can handle ambulance duty hardships with ease. Stay safe out there

Water-Rat likes this.
  8. GatorMedic

9. GatorMedic

I realized last night that I've kind of ended up with three of things... I have three "EDC" knives, plus one specialty. I have three "EDC" backpacks, plus one speciality. I have three "EDC" flashlights. Now, I'm used to having two sets of "EDC" because I like having my work gear and my off-duty gear separate. But I accidentally ended up with a third set when I bought the Spider Monkey and Fenix LD09. Reason being is, although I really like carrying both items, they are both on the big size for jeans carry for me personally. My jeans are tighter than my shorts, so they cause the pockets to bulge out more than I prefer. I don't know if I'm actually okay with having three sets...

camporama, Water-Rat and kottskrapa like this.
  10. ninja.medic

ninja.medic Loaded Pockets

Just accept it. It'll be ok. I promise...

Water-Rat, GatorMedic and Gary Gross like this.
  11. GatorMedic

Lol. The minimalist side of me and the gear lover side of me are always at war

camporama and Water-Rat like this.
  12. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I know that feeling very very well! The good thing about minimalism is that it is an individual mindset with almost no rules, minimalistic to one person might be hoarding to the next

It's not failure if you learn something from it

camporama, Water-Rat and GatorMedic like this.
  13. GatorMedic

When I travel I always take my black RE Factor Tactical ASO bag to carry all my clothes and things. It works out great, and I love it for this use. However... I have a spoiled dog. A spoiled dog that has a lot stuff that has to accompany her on these same trips. So every trip I have to figure out what stuff of hers I'm cramming in the ASO bag with my stuff, in my backpack with my electronics, in some other tote/bag/whatever I find to carry her crap. Which makes packing all her stuff and finding the various items throughout the trip a pain. Solution? Buy her her own ASO bag of course. I went tan this time because it'd be easier to see most of her black stuff inside it. Plus it goes along with her tan crate. So my spoiled pup is now even more so but at least my packing job got much easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#333 GatorMedic, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. GatorMedic

Coda's ASO bag is getting its first test on a week long vacation :)

Contents: 7 days of dog food, 5 different collars, 2 harnesses, extra leash, jacket, ecollar remote and charger, bowl, toys, Kong, treats, treat pouch, beacon light, extra poop bags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treya likes this.
  15. GatorMedic

Hydro Flask sells tumblers now! Have to go through the link on their Instagram bio to get to the page as of right now. Just ordered a 32 oz tumbler in black. Received a RTIC tumbler from work for Xmas so I've been using that at work in combination with my 40 oz HF, but it's not the best quality. Hoping the HF tumbler is better. If anyone is looking to purchase some HF stuff, send me a PM. I have three one-time-use codes for 40% off that expire on Feb 1st. I will post up pics when it comes in, and I'll probably do a comparison review with the RTIC tumbler once I have some time with it.

16. MYZ061080

MYZ061080 Loaded Pockets

Ok GatorMedic, I jumped into some new gear that you had mentioned (specifically 5.11 rush back and the hydro flask bottles)
    About a year ago..... I must say they are awesome!!!!! I could be happier. That you for recommending both items.
    BE safe
    JD

GatorMedic likes this.
  17. GatorMedic

@MYZ061080 Awesome, glad to hear it :)

18. GatorMedic

As always, the EDC gear evolves over time, and I figured it would be a good time to update as it stands now for my knives and flashlights.

Knives:

[​IMG]

Presently I have 7 knives. I always knew I'd eventually buy another full size grip but with G10 handles. The timeline of that purchase moved up due to a heck of a deal that I couldn't pass up. Having 7 kind of irritates me to be honest. As soon as I switch jobs then the Auto Presidio will be sold and I'll be back down to 6. Breakdown for those interested:

1. Southern Grind Spider Monkey - Off Duty EDC
    2. Benchmade Mini Grip Ritter version with Cuscadi micarta scales - Alternate
    3. Benchmade Auto Presidio - Work EDC
    4. Benchmade Grip Custom - Beater
    5. Spyderco Salt I - Beach/Kayaking Knife
    5. Esee 4 - Truck Knife
    7. Mora Companion - Hiking Bag Knife

Flashlights:

[​IMG]

Presently I have 10 flashlights. The Eagtac D25A is brand new as I just got it yesterday. It will be taking over the off duty EDC role, and I'll be evaluating if I will actually carry it much. I honestly don't carry a flashlight all that often off work unless I know for certain I'll need it. This fact means I have a bunch of flashlights because I stash them in convenient spots anticipating I won't have a flashlight on me. 10 seems excessive to me so I'm pondering a further reduction.

1. Eagtac D25A - Off Duty EDC
    2. L3 Illumination L11C - Truck
    3. Fenix LD09 - Alternate Off Duty EDC
    4. Surefire G2X Tactical - Bedroom Defense
    5. Fenix PD35 - Truck
    6. Fenix UC35 - Work EDC
    7. Fenix PD35 - Hiking Bag
    8. Fenix LD12 - Work Bag
    9. Fenix LD12 - Off Duty Bag
    10. Streamlight Microstream - Beach/Kayaking Bag

#338 GatorMedic, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Nekolf and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  19. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I have an Eagtac D25C Ti which I like a lot and it has been my EDC for years. I'm thinking of picking up the D25A Ti because I might like the mode spacing better. What tint did you get and why?

GatorMedic likes this.
  20. GatorMedic

Well that's a complicated question actually... I bought it "new" off eBay and it was supposed to come with neutral Nichia 219. When it arrived I tried it out and couldn't believe how cool white it was. So I checked the box it came in and the box reads XP-G2 but then has a sticker on it that says "Custom Made Nichia 219 LED". And the light has a black clip on it when every pic I've ever seen of D25A has silver clip. So honestly I have no idea what's up with my light...

I wanted the neutral Nichia 219 because I found neutral is a lot easier on my eyes and presents outdoor colors better than cool white. In my bigger lights, I'm fine enough with cool light because sometimes I use them for max output/distance. In my off-duty EDC I use lower/more normal outputs so max distance/output is less of a concern than color rendition and eye comfort.

[​IMG]

#340 GatorMedic, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Nekolf and steeps like this.