1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

First off, I love the pics of Coda. She's a beautiful girl...and very photogenic!

I noticed in an earlier pic that you have the ASO Bag. How do you like it? I've had one for about 9 months and am surprised that it's not mentioned more. Maybe price is a factor? Personally, I think it's worth every penny. I routinely carry mine with ~30lbs of gear and it has yet to show any wear. Not to mention that the organization possibilities are unlimited. I'm interested to hear your take on it.

GatorMedic likes this.
  2. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

twin63

Thank you! She is my pride and joy :) You can see more pics of her in her own gear thread: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/dog-edc-codas-thread.135185/

In regards to the ASO bag, I love it. I actually own two--foliage one resides in my truck toolbox for all my truck stuff and a black one that I use to travel. It's just a superbly built bag that has well thought out details. I love all of the organization in it. Sometimes I use the organization; sometimes I don't. But it's there if I need it, and it's not obtrusively in the way when I don't. It's built heavy duty so I have no qualms about throwing it in the back of the truck bed or on the ground. The shrink wrap or whatever it is on the zippers makes grabbing them very comfortable. The compartment on the side is great. I usually stow either an extra gun in the zippered part or my carry gun at night when the day is over when traveling, along with extra mags and my flashlight in the molle. When flying, I put my toiletry bag (liquids and such) in there for quick retrieval when going through the security line. I also throw my belt, jewelry, wallet, phone, etc in that zippered compartment while waiting in the security line so it saves time and ensures I don't lose anything. The fact that is sized exactly to airline requirements is a godsend. When flying I was never made to check it, even on tiny planes that they were making almost everyone check their bag on. Nice when you can just walk past the line of over 20 people waiting to get their checked bags :) It fits perfectly in the overhead compartment and it's easy to just grab the end straps to get it out quickly. Overall it's just exactly what I need/want in a duffle bag. Can't sing its praises loud enough.

I think it's not mentioned more due to lesser known brand and due to price. Off the top of my head I don't remember exactly where I first heard about the bag. I think I saw someone post a picture of theirs on Instagram which made me look it up. Prior to that I had never heard of the brand or the bag. When I did research into it, I definitely wanted one. But it took several more months, if not a whole year, for me to actually purchase my first one. The reason being is the price. I'd definitely never spent that much on a bag before, and that's some serious money to plop down for a bag on a paramedic salary. What did I think of my decision to spend that much money on one after I received the bag? I bought a second one shortly thereafter... Need I say more lol. I've had them a little over a year now, and I am still as happy with them as the day they arrived.

And another pic of bag and pup even though she's not looking :)

[​IMG]

Nekolf and twin63 like this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for taking time to give your thoughts on the ASO Bag. I'm with you...it really is a superb piece of gear. As for price, I consider it an investment. One of my boys will likely be using it long after I'm gone.

You'd better guard the black ASO. That looks like a good color for Coda. After browsing her thread, she's going to need a nice bag to carry her gear;).

GatorMedic likes this.
  4. GatorMedic

Lol trust me, packing for a roadtrip its 70% her stuff to make sure she has everything she may need vs 30% of the basics for me :) Used to think people were crazy when they said they needed a ton of room in their vehicle to carry their kids and all the inevitable stuff that goes with them. Now I understand. Even though my kid is a little furry compared to the ones they were talking about ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and twin63 like this.
  5. GatorMedic

Random recent pics of Ritter & Auto:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water-Rat and Nekolf like this.
  6. Sofastreamer

Sofastreamer Loaded Pockets

whats that spacy philips thing?

GatorMedic and ran23 like this.
  7. GatorMedic

Cardiac monitor on the ambulance

8. GatorMedic

I'm doing a challenge on another forum where I can only carry two knives for at least 30 days. For me, those two knives are my BM Auto Presidio and BM Doug Ritter Mini Grip. I'm posting pics periodically for that, so figured I'd post the pics here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nekolf likes this.
  9. GatorMedic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water-Rat, Nick4305 and 313 like this.
  10. GatorMedic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. GatorMedic

I've spent most of the last several months downsizing and selling off gear, but today I bought two new EDC items. Southern Grind Spider Monkey (tumbled satin drop point plain edge) knife and Fenix LD09 (2015 edition) flashlight. I've been thinking about the Spider Monkey purchase for over a month and finally bit the bullet. Still haven't handled one in person, but I have high hopes for it. The 3.25" blade length is my preferred length. If it doesn't impress me then I'll send it back for a refund. The Fenix LD09 I was tempted by a couple years back, but I never would pull the trigger on one with it coming on mid level first. Just discovered this 2015 edition starts in low and the lumen spacing seems pretty decent (3-50-130 on alkaline, more lumens on other battery types). So I'm giving it a try. Both should arrive on Thursday :)

camporama, Nick4305 and kottskrapa like this.
  12. GatorMedic

Trail fun today :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. GatorMedic

Random pics of Auto and Ritter from the last week or two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

camporama, iacchus and kottskrapa like this.
  14. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Congratulations! Definitely share your thoughts on this one. I had a chance to handle a Spider Monkey at Blade Show this year and probably would have walked out with one had I not already spent WAY too much money!

GatorMedic likes this.
  15. GatorMedic

Will do. It's at home waiting in my mailbox while I'm stuck at work for a few more hours. If I could only get it to call 911 then I could respond to it lol

twin63 likes this.
  16. GatorMedic

Alright y'all, let me introduce Lee. He's a Southern Grind Spider Monkey. Made in Georgia and bought from a North Carolina dealer. So he's Southern through and through. Never handled one before I opened his box, but I have decided to keep him so that gives you a glimpse into my first impression. More thoughts and pictures tomorrow, but I'm sure y'all can guess what the first cutting task was. Hint: may or may not have been opening the shipping box Coda's food came in today lol

[​IMG]

camporama and twin63 like this.
  17. GatorMedic

Quick recap for folks: I own a Ritter Mini Grip and a regular full size Grip. I like them both and enjoy them both. But for me personally, a 3.25" blade is preferred. That unfortunately falls right in between the mini and large Grip. If they made a medium size with 3.25" blade then I would be 100% set in that knife as my off duty EDC. But alas they don't. My Mini Grip has never failed to cut what I needed mind you. It's just a preference thing.

So I had read about the Southern Grind Spider Monkey a few times, but when I realized it had a 3.25" blade I suddenly became interested. Carbon fiber isn't really my thing. And I don't like the strange monkey logo on it. That's just not my style so that kept me from giving it a chance for a few months. Then a thread about the knife on another forum spurred me into looking into it more. I obviously love the blade length and the shape is good. The Southern connection of it being made in Georgia makes me happy. I currently live in the South and I lived in Georgia specifically for a year as well. And hey, I like country music and Zak Brown has some good songs. The fact that a significant portion of the proceeds goes to a charity let me get over the hump of paying more than $80 on a knife. I literally thought about the knife every day for over a month. I decided if I spend this much time thinking about it then I might as well buy it and find out once and for all if I like it. Unfortunately none of the shops around me had one in stock so I bought it without ever handling one.

Now to the good stuff, my thoughts on the knife. First impression is that I love the blade size. Sure you didn't see that coming lol. It feels good in the hand. It does not open and close as smoothly as my Grips with the axis lock, but it's still easy. The thumbstud is kind of weird because it has notches in it. Guess I'll just get used to it. It doesn't really change anything; just feels odd to me. I had asked the dealer if I could have a black pocket clip instead of the silver and he thankfully obliged. The clip is crazy tight though. I've tried bending it open a little a few times and haven't made much progress. I have to figure out a good way to do that. I enjoy the tumbled finish on the satin blade. I've only cut a couple mundane things so far so time will tell on that. In the end I've decided to keep it, and I'll sell my full size Grip (because I like having only four folders; I'm sure another full size Grip will be in my future someday). I'll try it out for awhile and see how I like it as an EDC. For now Ritter will be sitting on the sidelines while I give Lee a fair shake and see what it can do. I'll update here after I get some real pocket time with it. But for now, here's some pics for y'all :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Coda wondering why I'm so crazy while I take pics of the knives lol

[​IMG]

camporama and twin63 like this.
  18. GatorMedic

Random pics of Lee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EveryDayBeer, twin63 and camporama like this.
  19. GatorMedic

Lee (Southern Grind Spider Monkey) has been working out well so far. There were a few things I was apprehensive about to begin with, but those concerns seem to be taking a backseat to my enjoyment of the knife at this point. Now that I'm fairly certain Lee is going to stay it seems to be the time to sell off one of my other knives so I can maintain the four folders total. As I said before, that spells doom to the Benchmade full-size Grip because my other folders have a clearly defined role. However, I'm very reluctant to sell it as of right now. No logical reason why other than I just don't want to. It's a good knife begging to be used, and I don't want to see it go. So I'm going to try something completely unexpected. I'm going to try it out as my work knife. Now my Benchmade Auto Presidio has been my work knife every single day since I bought it a couple years ago, so this is going to be very strange. But hey, I'm giving the Grip a chance to stay, and we'll just see how it goes.

camporama and EveryDayBeer like this.
  20. GatorMedic

Sold off my Multicam Rush 12 today. Got a lot of good use out of that bag and I have a good amount of memories with it. It was sad moment to hand it over to someone else. Sometimes minimalism stings.

camporama likes this.