1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Antithetik Lol we have similar tastes. This is literally my Moleskine planner with stainless Parker Jotter next to my grey Leuchtturm1917 notebook right now :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. GatorMedic

Baby girl got some new EDC gear today. I finally put her big girl collar on--leather with Florida Gators logo :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. GatorMedic

So I made a new friend and on several occasions so far we've needed some type of EDC gear and she hasn't had any of the things in her truck that we are frequently in. I've always managed to save the day with the gear in my bag or in my own truck, but I'm not always going to be there with her so she needs her own. I decided to make her a small truck kit with the bare essential EDC gear that she can then hopefully add to and expand from there. For forum purposes I decided to take pics for y'all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kit entails a Maxpedition Fatty organizer, Sawyer First Aid pouch, and a Black Diamond Spot headlamp.

Maxpedition Fatty organizer contains (with explanations):

1. Morale patch (she named her truck Spade after she found out my truck's name is Ace--incorrectly think I named him that in reference to cards)
    2. Phone charger
    3. Bags - technically two dog poop bags since she brings her dog with her a lot of places but can have a variety of uses
    4. Hair ties - girl with long hair but can be used as rubber band as well
    5. Tissues
    6. Slim Whistle
    7. Spork
    8. Leatherman Wingman - great tool selection for the basics and at a fantastic price point with discount
    9. Duct Tape
    10. Bic Lighter
    11. Ontario Rat II - can take a beating and will still be going strong for her, good EDC type size in my opinion
    12. Tampons
    13. Rite in the Rain notebook - she loves them and it's good for emergency and also general use if needed
    13. Mechanical pencil
    14. Sharpie
    15. Fisher Capomatic Pen - can write upside down or various other scenarios so while I'm not a huge fan of the pen in general it's good option for situation that might involve an emergency
    16. Super glue
    17. Fenix E01 - it's an almost indestructible light and it can run forever on a single AAA battery which is good because I doubt she'll check on it much. Ideally she'll have a bigger, more powerful light in her truck as well.
    18. Chapstick - she likes that kind and I had a free spot so what the heck

Sawyer First Aid Pouch contains:

1. Everything that already comes included: band aids, gauze, alcohol preps, etc
    2. Added travel pack meds - she can add to later on with other things but this covers the bases well enough to start
    3. Latex gloves - two pair
    4. Canister with tweezers and two safety pins in it
    5. Vionex disinfecting wipes

Black Diamond Spot Headlamp

1. Comes with alkaline batteries but I will be giving her three Lithium AAA batteries with it and will explain why she needs to only use those in it

So that's it. I think it's a nice starter set-up for her truck, and she can modify later as she sees fit. Will be advising her to add spare cash into it. Any added suggestions or advice is welcome. Ace (my truck) will be gifting this to Spade (her truck) next week when she gets home from training.

Last edited by GatorMedic, May 11, 2016
  4. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

GatorMedic,

That is a great EDC gift. It is so well-thought out, practical, and will certainly be put to good use. Well done.

Water-Rat and GatorMedic like this.
  5. GatorMedic

Thank you :) I think she's really going to like it. Can't wait to surprise her with it. She asked me to show her my flashlights when she gets back because she wants to buy one for training and work. I do believe I'm going to tip her into full blown EDC gear junkie here soon ;)

Water-Rat, BigKurtHaze and EXCALIBUR like this.
  6. BigKurtHaze
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

BigKurtHaze Loaded Pockets

Hey Gator, hope your summer is going good! Thanks for the enabling on today's mail call.
    [​IMG]

7. GatorMedic

BigKurtHaze I love it! Hope it's working well for you. I actually sold all of mine, except the 64oz, to a coworker to fund buying two new 40oz with the new lid. I wanted to upgrade from the 32 to 40, and getting different colors and new lid was nice bonus :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water-Rat and kensington like this.
  8. GatorMedic

My knife collection has changed so I figure it's time to update with pics. Currently my folder collection is holding strong at five. I could obviously get by with only two, but that's okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top to bottom:

1. Buck Bantam - Sentimental keeper, resides in backpack

2. Spyderco Salt I - Beach and kayaking knife

3. Benchmade Doug Ritter Mini Grip - small off duty EDC carry, Cuscadi micarta aftermarket scales

4. Benchmade Grip - big off duty EDC carry

5. Benchmade Auto Presidio 5000SBK - work EDC carry

Originally I bought the full size Grip off the BST section for cheap just to have a bigger knife at the house. However since I received it, it's kicked out the Mini Grip as my off work EDC. I imagine the Mini Grip will go back to that role when it gets colder and start wearing jeans again. We shall see

Nekolf and Water-Rat like this.
  9. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Glad to see someone else obsessed with hydro flasks. I / the wife have:

40 oz wide mouth blue
    40 oz wide mouth pink
    18 oz wide mouth orange
    16 oz wide mouth white
    12 oz wide mouth lime (for our 15 month old)
    18 oz standard forest green with sport cap
    16 oz pint glass
    Growler

10. jester8798

jester8798 Loaded Pockets

This thread had a large influence on my first hydroflask purchase! Thanks Gator!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. GatorMedic

Vartz04 See, now my collection doesn't look so excessive ;) Raising your kid right lol

jester8798 Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! What version did you go with?

All this Hydro Flask love means I should really post up pics of my new ones. Stay tuned...

12. jester8798

jester8798 Loaded Pockets

GatorMedic I went with the 32oz wide mouth in orange.

13. GatorMedic

Good choice, that was my very first Hydro Flask as well :)

14. GatorMedic

For those that might be interested, my dog is obtaining way more EDC gear than me these days. From collars and leashes to life jackets, travel bowls, and dog boots. So Coda now has her own EDC thread for y'all to follow and maybe get some ideas for your own pooches. Slide on over there and have a look if you want: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/dog-edc-codas-thread.135185/

15. GatorMedic

As promised, here are a few pics of my two 40 oz Hydro Flasks in Pacific and Citron. Pacific is off-duty EDC and the Citron is my work EDC. I sold my three 32 oz to fund these two. I still have my black 64 oz as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nekolf and BigKurtHaze like this.
  16. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

Do you use the growler to haul drinking water around. I never have. Just picked up beer or put a pre made cocktail in it and took it with to the beach. Seems like too much for a water bottle but maybe I should try it

GatorMedic likes this.
  17. GatorMedic

I use it when I'm on all day outings to refill my 40 oz HF. So if I'm spending the day at the beach for example then I'll bring it. When I empty my 40oz I simply grab the growler to refill it. I drink at least a gallon of water a day (128 oz) so my 40 oz by itself isn't enough to last for the majority of a day.

18. GatorMedic

A few months back I switched my work EDC bag from my Multicam 5.11 Rush 12 to an Osprey Comet. I was thinking about making a work bag change and considering just buying a second TNF Surge for the role since I like my current one so much. But then I stumbled on a pic of the Comet on this forum and went looking into it. As y'all can surmise, I have a slight bag obsession so I decided to buy it. After a few months EDCing it at work, I can say it's working out well for me. I thinned down the gear I carry on my work bag considerably and I'm very much enjoying the lighter weight of both the bag and the less gear to haul. So let's break it down a little bit and of course plenty of pics for y'all.

[​IMG]

It's a good looking pack in my opinion. It has two water bottle pockets that can easily accommodate 40 oz Hydro Flask. I always have my citron HF in one side, but I threw in my Pacific HF on the other side for the pic just to show it can accommodate two. I'll talk more about that in a second. The bag has the traditional handle on the top that is well cushioned, but in addition to that, it also has a handle in the middle of the front. That always another grab option when I'm trying to get it out from behind the ambulance seat, so it's a nice touch for me.

[​IMG]

Like I said, the water bottle pockets can easily store a 40 oz HF and it has a compression strap midway towards the bottom of the pocket to cinch down for further security. A couple weeks into carrying the bag though I ran into a "problem". I was wearing the bag when I dropped something on the ground. Not thinking, I bent over to grab the item off the ground. Of course that inverted the bag and my HF came crashing down onto the cement. First time I've ever dented one of my HFs :( So just in case I make the stupid mistake of bending over instead of squatting down when I have the bag on, I have started to clip the bag side compression strap through the HF handle. Now the HF stays in play regardless of inverted or not. Perfect!

[​IMG]

The front of the bag has a couple--I don't know what to call them---attachment points on the front. I've clipped a carabiner to one which sometimes comes in handy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first thing you notice is the interior color is different than the outside. For the "men's" bags it's this bright yellowish green color. The "women's" bags it's more of a bluish green color. The organization setup is different from every bag I've had so that was strange to me at first. But it actually works out for my work carry well. In the top pouch things I keep headache and cold meds, headlamp, and phone power cord. I like that the power cord and headache meds are at the top of the bag, separated from everything else, for easy access. Whether I'm even looking in the direction of the bag or not I can grab them. The rest of the admin section I have the typical things y'all have seen in my other bags (Leatherman Wingman, Fenix LD12, duct tape, lighter, pens/pencil/sharpie, Field Notes, etc).

[​IMG]

There is a sunglasses compartment that is at the top of the bag in between the admin and first main compartment. The material it's made out of seems a little flimsy but my sunglasses have never been scratched in there so.

[​IMG]

The first main compartment is big and spacious, but I don't carry much in there. It has a documents stash pocket that I keep a few papers in and other than that, I just keep a spare tshirt in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the second main compartment I keep my iPad Air, Kindle, and my stethoscope. The zippered pocket that I keep my stethoscope in is padded which is nice.

[​IMG]

Bear in mind that none of these compartments open completely. The first main compartment zipper goes down to the top of the water bottle pocket. The second main compartment's zipper only goes down as far as you see in this pic. That kind of sucks, but it doesn't effect my work use that much.

[​IMG]

Back of the pack. I don't carry it for long periods or with a heavy load but the straps seem adequate to me.

So there you have it. I'm enjoying this bag as my work EDC for the time being. If I was to only have one bag though I'd definitely pick The North Face Surge over this one though. But having both is working out well :)

Nekolf and Gary Gross like this.
  19. GatorMedic

[​IMG]

Roadtrip Essentials:

Refactor Tactical ASO Bag - Check

The North Face Surge - Check

Food Bin with Travel Bowl - Check

IDC Harness - Check

Daughter with her Birthday Bandana - Check

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My baby girl turned ONE year old today! Celebrated by taking off work and taking her on a roadtrip to New Orleans.

Nekolf likes this.
  20. GatorMedic

The downsizing continues. My knife collection has trimmed down further to six total--four folders and two fixed blades.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the time being I will also be holding on to my Buck Bantam folder in a drawer. I'll give it away when it's the right situation. Probably either give it to one of my nephews when they get a little older or one of my own future kid(s).

[​IMG]

Nekolf likes this.