1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Bama87

Bama87 Loaded Pockets

Now that you have had both bags for a while......how do you like the Surge vs Recon? I know they both have their roles in your rotation, but do you think you would be okay with EDC'ing either one, or is the Surge a much better EDC pack for you and why (if you really do have a reason)?

Thanks

2. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I definitely think the Surge is a much better EDC pack for me currently. I love the compartments/pockets layout. Everything has a designated place. My most favorite is that my Mac has it's own compartment exclusive to it with some padding so I don't have to worry about anything hurting it, and if I wanted to get it out, there is zero pushing and shoving of everything else to get it out of the way to just pull the Mac out. It just gives me peace of mind. The slash pockets on the front are simply awesome. My Kindle stays in the fleece lined one. The other one I utilize for small quick access items or occasionally my gun if there's some reason I can't carry it on body. The top pocket on the front is bigger on the Surge than on the Recon which is nice. And in the Surge, the admin pocket has a zippered mesh pocket on the opposite side that I keep my charger, my headphones, and small Exedrin bottle. So for me, the Surge fits my stuff better.

3. GatorMedic

Just bought four more Hydro Flasks for gifts for upcoming friends/family birthdays. Safe to say I'm obsessed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin J Reed, Bama87, Nomad55 and 7 others like this.
  4. Gallows
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gallows EDC Junkie!!!!!

You need to look at getting a volume discount from Hydroflask:D

5. GatorMedic

Seriously! Or at least I need some stock in the company lol

6. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

.....hello, friend.... :giggle:

7. GatorMedic

Lmao nice try. If you don't have one yet, you need to get one before the summer heat! I'm telling you they're simply amazing

8. ManVsLawn

Just for funnies :)

I've been digging the non insulated Klean Kanteens since I bought them and was considering trying a hydroflask, maybe next purchase.

A sweaty water bottle bothers me not.....

Why are they so loved? Fill me in on the deetz, man!

(I know gator is a gal) :bounce:

9. GatorMedic

I've put ice and cold water in my Hydro Flask before I leave for my work shift and it still had part of an ice cube left 26 HOURS later! I've sat mine outside on 108 degree days and it's still ice cold water 8 hours later and beyond. Put simply it keeps stuff cold forever. Supposedly it keeps hot things hot for 12 hours but I've never personally tried that since I don't drink coffee or tea. The no condensation is great for me, although guess it's no big deal to you. Furthermore, I never have to worry about it leaking. The regular lid on all mine has been perfect. Get one of the colors instead of the stainless as it aids in grip and also looks sharp. I had a non-insulated Klean Kanteen. I gave it away

Lou_G, BobsBargains, Nomad55 and 5 others like this.
  10. ManVsLawn

Miss Medic -

I appreciate the info and just gave their site a gander...

Everything is insulated! I feel I lose a lot of capacity with insulated bottles....

I can see how someone would dislike the KKs... But they hold a lot of water and the simple design allows for boiling if necessary.

Hydro flasks aren't recommended for dishwasher cleanings, either. I hand wash them most days....

But I feel the need to machine wash them once a week or so due to the nature of my work and their use

11. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

yea i run my non-insulated kk through the wash every once and a while, altho i only put water in it so usually just a bit of soap and a bottle brush is all it gets, never had a problem

12. GatorMedic

I bought a long brush to make sure I clean the bottles well. I think the brand was OXO or something like that off that big river place. Works well.

13. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

oxo makes some good stuff, my favorite kitchen tongs are made by them

14. GatorMedic

On a side note, anybody know what to do if your package isn't moving from overseas? Or how long until it's okay to start worrying? My Cuscadi scales shipped on Jan 5. They've said in Frankfurt Germany processing to international shipment since 0238am Jan 7. Nothing has been posted on the German mail carrier site or on USPS site since that time.

15. BobsBargains

BobsBargains Banned

Shipped via DHL, they may take some time to arrive. Depending on the speed of the service it may take weeks.

For example I had an order from Cogent Industries in New Zealand sent via DHL global mail. It went through DHL in Malaysia then came to me in Australia. Took almost 5 weeks.

And the tracking stopping is common. Whenever I have something come from the US via USPS first class the tracking stops when it leaves the US. Anywhere between a week to four weeks later my package arrives.

16. BigKurtHaze
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

BigKurtHaze Loaded Pockets

I ordered some 18650s from, apparently, Sweden, on Dec. 1. They seem to be in the States now, I don't think they've cleared customs yet. Aggravating, isn't it?

17. GatorMedic

Well that sucks. I knew it would take some time, but wasn't thinking potentially four weeks or more. I'm too impatient for this lol

18. GatorMedic

They came! They came! :frantic:

I ordered OD vintage micarta scales from Cuscadi for the Doug Ritter Benchmade Mini Grip I received for Xmas. They finally arrived. They might have taken awhile to get here because the state in my address was wrong--they put Georgia. The rest of my address was correct though, so I'm extremely glad they did get to me. The receipt in my box had my address completely correct so I guess someone clicked the wrong drop down menu state when making the shipping label or something. Anyway, I now have to work up the courage to disassemble my knife and attempt to put the new scales on lol

[​IMG]

19. GatorMedic

Picked up a planner this morning. Don't think I've used one since high school when they gave us one at the start of every school year and half forced us to use it lol. But with yet another complete schedule change that is a little strange, I figured I needed some more organization in my life. I've only filled in a few things so far but already feel better. I like the set-up of this style Moleskine, and think it's going to work for my needs well. Anyone else use a planner for general tasks? How do you organize things?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously took the pic before I wrote in more personal stuff for that week. Think I'm going to get those small, colored circle stickers to place on days I work for ease and quick recognition. Doesn't apply to the M-F 9-5 crowd but I work different days every week so. Will be adding a book section to the bottom as well so I can keep my reading on task every week, but waiting to add that to see if I need to add any other sections.

Nekolf, Nomad55, BobsBargains and 3 others like this.
  20. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

I nearly got the same, but I prefer the one and a half year planer, easier to mend one year into the other... :)

[​IMG]

p.s. Look for the pen loop, worth every penny...

Nekolf, Nomad55, BobsBargains and 3 others like this.