1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gator's Gear

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GatorMedic, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'll be using this thread to consolidate some of my EDC pictures and reviews for easier access than them being spread out throughout various threads. I'll start out by posting my gear based on various categories. When that is eventually accomplished then I'll update with various changes to the EDC. I generally change or reorganize my gear every month or two.

Hope y'all enjoy! Any questions, comments, or requests for more info or pics of my gear, feel free to reply and I'll see what I can do :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nekolf, Gallows, ayospoonay and 8 others like this.
  2. GatorMedic

This post reserved for future indexing...

3. GatorMedic

Let's start off with EDC Bags category shall we :) As most are aware by now I EDC a black 5.11 Rush 12 and at work I also EDC a multicam Rush 12 that stays on the ambulance. I'll skip the review of the bag itself for now and just post up my load-out pics. I keep both almost the same, but a few extras in the multicam that I'll show.

Without further ado, my Rush 12 load out:

[​IMG]
    Bag is gator approved ;)

[​IMG]
    Smith & Wesson blue led carabiner light attached to the molle. Came free with another purchase and I find it works perfectly to hang and light up the admin compartment in the dark

[​IMG]
    On side keep two pens and a sharpie for quick access

[​IMG]
    Top front compartment

[​IMG]
    Keep car charger, wall charger, whistle, and badge holder. Frequently random other things get temporarily put in here as well

[​IMG]
    Admin section

[​IMG]
    Front pouches carry a CAT tourniquet in left side and Excedrin and protein bar in right side

[​IMG]
    Admin pocket looking top down

[​IMG]
    Bottom left pocket has lighter, duct tape, and Fenix LD12. Bottom right pocket has handcuff key (orange), spare cash with mostly $1s for vending machines, Kershaw Cryo. Second level has Leatherman Wingman and various pens/pencils/Sharpie. Big pouch has two Field Notes (one ruled and one dot grid).

[​IMG]
    Zippered pouch in admin compartment

[​IMG]
    Zippered pouch contains tampons, small FAK (will detail its contents at later date/post), Kleenex tissues, and spork

[​IMG]
    Main compartment

[​IMG]
    Typically carries iPad + book and whatever else needed for particular trip. Kindle is brand new addition

[​IMG]
    Zippered mesh compartments

[​IMG]
    Top zippered mesh pocket holds earbuds and UNO cards. Bottom pocket contains hair ties, Wet Ones, extra contacts, and ziploc bag of contact solution + case, toothbrush, toothpaste, and hand sanitizer

[​IMG]
    Hydration compartment contains magazines so they don't get torn up. Sometimes holds back up gun depending on situation

[​IMG]
    Top valuables/sunglasses pocket currently empty but occasionally holds my sunglasses

4. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Looks great!

Sub'd...

5. GatorMedic

As previously mentioned, my multicam Rush 12 is set up almost the exact same but with a few ambulance specific additions. So I'll just post up pics of the differences:

[​IMG]
    Hat and Boa-constricting band tourniquet are attached to top handle

[​IMG]
    Extra pair of trauma shears kept on side

[​IMG]
    Top compartment is set up with car charger, Leatherman Micra, whistle, extra pupil light, and extra O2 wrench.

[​IMG]
    Mechanix gloves in left pouch of admin compartment in place of CAT TQ I have in my black R12. (Ambulance is already stocked with a TQ obviously)

[​IMG]
    In addition to Field Notes, also keep ACLS and PALS quick reference guides in big pouch in admin compartment

[​IMG]
    Main compartment - black 5.11 6x6 padded pouch

[​IMG]
    Black pouch keeps GPS + accessories

[​IMG]
    Normal contents include extra clipboard with paperwork and ACLS and PALS books

[​IMG]
    Hydration compartment stores spare work Tshirt and my stethoscope

[​IMG]
    Top valuables/sunglasses pocket currently has Energizer headlamp. Will be replaced with Black Diamond Spot headlamp that is on it's way

[​IMG]
    This patch will replace flag patch when I can get Velcro sewn on the back

The rest of the Multicam Rush 12 is set up the same as my black Rush 12.

Nekolf, Gallows, ayospoonay and 14 others like this.
  6. GatorMedic

Today seems like a good day to cover the Knives category. I'm happy with my collection right now and the only knife I plan on adding to it is eventually an Esee 3 or 4 that will be put in my emergency bag. So without further ado here are some pics of my entire collection.

*Note I also had two Kershaw Cryos as seen in the above EDC bag pics, but I already gave one away and in the process of giving the other one away as well because the Cryo just doesn't suit my tastes.

[​IMG]
    The complete collection

[​IMG]
    The folders

[​IMG]
    The fixed blades

The posts that follow will detail the knives and my uses and thoughts on each of them.

johnny five, Nekolf, Gallows and 15 others like this.
  7. GatorMedic

My EDC knives: Benchmade Auto Presidio 5000SBK (top) and Benchmade Mini Griptillian (bottom)

[​IMG]

The Auto Presidio is my on duty EDC knife. I bought the knife on this forum's BST section for a steal at $70 in used condition. This was my first Benchmade and first expensive knife. (Any knife over $50 is expensive to me.) This knife is an absolute tank, and I really enjoy it. The auto feature is fantastic at work because a paramedic never has enough hands, and when we need something, we need it quick. I have faith in this knife that I can throw anything at it and it'll still come back for more. Heck, I cut through really thick plastic two shifts ago and it handled great. It's been used for a variety of tasks at work from cutting firehouse to cutting clothing to opening packages to cutting splints to fit and on and on it goes. Fantastic knife and I enjoy having it as my duty knife. The weathering it's showing just makes me love it even more :)

The Mini Grip is my off-duty EDC. To be honest, I had fallen off the EDCing a knife bandwagon for a few years prior to getting the Mini Grip. I kept reading so many glowing reviews of the knife on this forum, but was hesitant because of price. I kept putting the knife in the "shopping cart" for over a year but never could quite stomach the cost and hit the buy button. That was until I found out Benchmade offered a very generous discount to first responders. This brought the cost down considerably and after more deliberation finally pulled the trigger. This is the most basic model with 154cm steel, satin blade, and black handles. But for me, I actually love the simplicity and no frills model. As soon as I first laid hands on it I was in love. I couldn't believe it took me so long to get it, but man I was happy I finally did. This knife is awesome. Surprisingly lightweight and the action on it is so super smooth. Since receiving it, my love of knives has been rekindled and I've gone back to EDCing a knife. That in itself tells you how much I like this knife :)

8. GatorMedic

Next up is the Kershaw Blackout (top) and Spyderco Salt I (bottom)

[​IMG]

The Kershaw Blackout was the first knife I ever fell in love with (so to speak) and was my EDC knife for several years. Prior to buying the Blackout, I was really interested in knives and had bought a few cheap ones. They never lasted long due to not being the right fit. Then one day in a knife buying quest I ran across the Blackout on Amazon. The buy button was clicked and the rest is history. This knife was the reason I started carrying a knife every day. I loved it and loved the assisted opening on it. Over the years I lost a couple and whenever I did, I'd immediately buy another one because I couldn't be without my beloved knife. Sometimes I'd buy the serrations, sometimes the plain. But every time I always bought the Blackout because man it just fit me right. I think I went about 6 years with it as my everything knife. I have moved on due simply to wanting something new. I still love the knife and still use it plenty. It has recently moved to my truck console. This knife will always have a special place in my heart and I never plan to be without one.

The Spyderco Salt I was bought in an attempt to rekindle my EDCing knife ways (bought a couple months before the Mini Grip which is the knife that actually did restart my EDCing a knife). I'd look at all the love this forum has for Spyderco knives when reading through the knife section. Man I thought, those are some ugly knives! But seeing/reading about them day in and day out it eventually wore me down. I figured this was the model for me to try because I liked the idea of H1 steel. I live right next to the water and beaches so getting a knife that could stand up to saltwater sounded like a winner. When it first arrived I was surprised at the lightness (it doesn't have liners to add weight) and how sharp it was. I also got a kick out of the blade shape. It was still ugly as sin with that hole, but I wanted to fall in love with it and make it my new EDC knife. But alas when I tried pocket carrying it, the dreaded "humpback whale" hole protruded far out and hindered pocket area as I worried it would. I honestly tried to make it work, but in the end, it was a no go. I will never buy a Spyderco as an EDC knife because of this issue. It just does not work for me. Having said that, I still use/carry this knife on the beach when I'm wearing boardshorts. I'm planning on taking up kayaking this summer so it should be seeing more use with that as well. Nice knife, came very sharp, just not EDC pocketable for me.

johnny five, Nekolf, Gallows and 12 others like this.
  9. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Miss Medic! I see a few dollar bills up in those pictures. I don't think you're spending enough time on the forums, if you have cash like that. ;)

Great gear, truly digging how organized it is. Sad thing about the salt not working out for your normal carry! Spydie's salt line has got to be a favorite of mine.

ESEE knives are a good call, if you're planning on getting on for your emergency bag. Beefy blade, indeed.

Thanks for sharing!:cool:

Nekolf, Gallows, SMAJ and 6 others like this.
  10. GatorMedic

EDC bag knife of choice: Spyderco Tenacious

[​IMG]

The Spyderco Tenacious has replaced the very short-lived Kershaw Cryo as my EDC Bag knife. The satin blade Tenacious currently resides in my black Rush 12, and the black blade version that arrived today will be put in my multicam Rush 12. If you read my spiel about Spyderco in the above post regarding my experiences with the Salt I you might be surprised at this choice of an EDC bag knife for me. Indeed I was as well. In an attempt to find the best bag knife for me, I tried a variety of best budget friendly knives as deemed by many members in a couple of recent threads on this forum and another. The Cryo didn't suit me, the Rat I was good but not really what I was looking for for my bag (more on that later), and the next best option seemed to be the Tenacious. So I bought the Satin one with a little apprehension. Low and behold when it was delivered, I discovered I actually like it. Smooth action, fits nice in my hand, blade shape/size was what I wanted for my bag knife, little disappointed in the sharpness out of the box but oh well. The humpback whale hole is not a problem because it's going to live in my bag. Thus after a couple days playing with it, I purchased a second one (the black version) so I could have one for each of my Rush 12s. Happy with my decision so far.

11. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

How do you like that Gerber? Been thinking of picking one up for a while now

12. GatorMedic

The others: Ontario Rat I (top) and Buck Bantam (bottom)

[​IMG]

The Ontario Rat I was purchased in my budget knife hunt for an EDC bag knife (bought after the Cryos but before the Tenacious). I was a little iffy with the aesthetics, but it had too many good reviews to ignore it in my search. I chose to pay a few more bucks to get the green handled version just because it was different than the rest of my knives. The reviews were correct that this is a tank of a knife. I'm sure it could probably stand up to some hard use. I was a little taken aback by its sheer size; it's definitely big. Reading numerical size stats on a description doesn't work well in my head to get a feel of the size. Honestly I chose this over the Rat II in my backlash of being surprised by the small-ness of the blade on the Cryos I had recently bought before it. In the end, I like the knife but just doesn't fit what I wanted for my Rush 12s bag knife. I'm keeping it though and have decided to add it to the Rush 24 I'm currently outfitting as my emergency bag. Decent knife for the money.

The Buck Bantam has sentimental value. I bought it in 2009 at a Bass Pro Shops along with the person I was dating at the time. We bought matching camo ones because we both liked knives and camo and we both had an itch to get a knife. Due to the circumstances surrounding it's purchase it still has a place in my collection. As you can tell by the neglect of the blade, I use it mostly as a beater knife to cut open packages as I don't like getting sticky residue on my other blades when I can help it. It's recently become dull to the point that I can't even use it. I tried sharpening it, but honestly I need to research more into that cause I have no idea what I'm doing. I just recently saw Buck has a sharpening service so next week I'm hoping to send it to them to get that done. Then, I plan on trying to clean the blade up a little. Not a bad knife, but nothing special (my sentimental reasons aside).

johnny five, Nekolf, Gallows and 12 others like this.
  13. GatorMedic

The fixed blades: Mora Companion (top pic) and Gerber A.S.E.K. LMF II (bottom pic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Mora Companion stainless steel models were bought in my budget knife buying spree/search. The issue started with my station not having any knives, and I needed one to cut my food. I couldn't use my duty knife (with how much nasty body fluids it's come into contact with--just no) and the blade on my Wingman multitool I kept in my bag just wasn't ideal for the task. Folders were purchased but in my research I came across the Mora. Seemed like a great idea to add a fixed blade into the mix for food prep if needed and also the potential of using as a hunting/fishing knife. The low cost was just too good to pass up. So I bought four--one for each of my Rush 12s, one for the Rush 24 emergency bag I'm building, and one for a friend. I was ecstatic when they arrived. Man these things are sharp! They fit well in the hand and the sheath is adequate. I still can't believe the cost of these. My friend is in love with hers, and after showing mine to another friend, he immediately went online to purchase one. He just got his and is in love with it as well. Awesome knife at a mind-blowing price!

The Gerber A.S.E.K. LMF II was bought in 2010 specifically to be carried in my truck for emergencies. If you notice in the pic it comes with a sheath as well as a J-hook with its own pouch. Not pictured it also comes with straps to secure the sheath onto your person. In my research prior to buying I discovered the knife was originally made as a contender for the contract with the U.S. Army to be a knife issued to all pilots and flight crew members. It has a couple of cool features: the butt of the knife has a point that can be used as a window punch, the sheath has it's own built in knife sharpener, the handle is fully insulated so you can cut charged power lines and not get shocked (not recommended but still), and the knife itself was designed to cut through helicopter/plane windshields. As I already mentioned, it comes with that J-hook to use as a seatbelt cutter as well. To me, these features make it an awesome vehicle knife and I keep mine within arms reach in my truck. I drive over bridges every single day as I live all around the water. If my truck was to go over the side of the bridge and start sinking in the water, this is the knife I want by my side to hopefully get myself and passengers out to avoid drowning if I'm still conscious and able-bodied. It's a stout knife, and I have put it to some use in the woods. Gerber may not have a good reputation in general on this forum. However, this knife was designed specifically for such emergency tasks and the features make it ideal for an emergency vehicle knife in my opinion.

johnny five, Nekolf, Gallows and 11 others like this.
  14. GatorMedic

I was getting there slowly but surely. Post #13 :)

15. GatorMedic

The budget knives were all purchased recently, but the rest have been purchased over the years. The only knives I've ever gave away or sold are the two Cryos, so this really is my life collection over the years sans a few cheapies lost along the way in my teenage years and the couple Blackouts I lost. The budget/bag knife thing became personal so it was a mission I felt had to be completed sooner rather than later. Like I said though, my knife buying is done for now except an Esee 3 or 4 sometime in the next couple of years. And FYI, I still enjoy the Salt and glad I bought it. Just no way I can make it my EDC to anywhere but the beach. Different strokes for different folks :)

Nekolf, Gallows, ayospoonay and 7 others like this.
  16. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Great gear, great pictures, great descriptions and fantastic organization of all the nice gear!

Nekolf, Gallows, vinniec5 and 3 others like this.
  17. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

That is some great work there. I've just moved to a Kodiak and I think this thread has given me ideas :)

Nekolf, Gallows, vinniec5 and 3 others like this.
  18. GatorMedic

Thanks y'all! Glad someone is getting some enjoyment/inspiration from my thread :)

19. GatorMedic

Let there be light: the flashlight category breakdown is here :)

So I've accidentally acquired a lot of lights it seems--22 flashlights, 4 lanterns, and 4 headlamps. Here are some pics of the whole collection with specific info on models to follow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. GatorMedic

First up: two Fenix PD35s and two Fenix LD12s

[​IMG]

The LD12 was my very first nice flashlight purchase. I bought it to use on duty on an ambulance, and it worked well for that task. Bought a second one in the BST section of this forum to have as a back-up and home flashlight. After switching to a different ambulance company that has a lot of rural parts in the run area I realized I needed to upgrade my flashlight, so I bought a PD35. Absolutely love this flashlight and use it several times every shift. It's features, durability, and run times are perfect for what I need. I bought a second one to keep in my nightstand, and the two LD12s have been moved to each of my Rush 12s in a back-up role. Can't recommend the PD35 enough :)

johnny five, Nekolf, Gallows and 10 others like this.