1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Gatco VS lansky VS Smith VS natural VS diamond...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Kaux, Sep 7, 2010.

1. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I had much better result on the lansky by running the stones spine to edge, then take it to a strop to remove the burr....edge to spine does not produce a burr

That being said, Different Strokes for Different Folks.

I had a go at the sharpmaker, but I didn't keep it long....probably just me, but I preferred the lansky setup

2. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

if you can hold a knife straight-up-and-down and want a really fierce edge on your knives, then the sharpmaker is the system for you.

trust me, i'm 65 years old and started sharpening knives on stones when i was still knee high to the proverbial grasshopper. never, and i do mean never, was i ever able to achieve the type of edge i now get on my sharpmaker. yes, i spent more than one hundred dollars for all the bells and whistles (basic + 2 coarse diamond & 2 ultra fine rods), but i now have a system that is virtually idiot proof -- i should know!

like another poster mentioned, you can get the basic sharpmaker system for less than 50 bucks on amazon -- that's all you need to get that "hair popping" edge.

when i think of all the "cheap" rods and stones and gimmicks that i have thrown literally hundreds of dollars away on only to end up with one more useless piece of crap that got lost in the back of some drawer or closet. why? because they didn't work!

the sharpmaker works! that's the best recommendation i can give any product. and, in the case of the sharpmaker, it works exceedingly well!

3. gingerman

gingerman Loaded Pockets

There is one practical purpose, le, feature, That differs between Gatco and Lansky: the WAY the guide rods attack, and their weight.
    TheGatco rods are significantly heavier, and are stored inside the plastic handles of the stones, They don't get lost, bent or set at a different or wrong angle. You pull them out to the length you need, and everythings set.
    Oh, the Gatco stones are wider than the Lansky.

4. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

What knives are you sharpening?

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

None. he hasn't been online since 2010.

SMAJ and Hangman like this.
  6. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

I see, they must be really dull by now. :oops:

SMAJ likes this.
  7. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

They will all get your knife sharp.

I prefer water stones, they're so much easier to use and transport.

I keep a 8000 grit stone next to me at work (chef).

I have 200 400 1000 2000 4000 and 8000 grit. But I rarely touch the other stones, once sharp, I can maintain it on the 8000 in a few seconds.

8. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

No, not if you do it right.

Yes, the rods are prone to bending - if you use too much pressure. Let the stones do the work and you will never bend the rod while using it.

I've been using the Lansky for many years now and get great results. While it has limited range of bevel angles, I have never found need for angles not available. I typically only use 25 and 30, depending on the knife design and blade material.

My kit is probably 20 years old and a few of the stones have been replaced multiple times, the course stone though is brand new, never been used. I typically start with the fine (I don't let my knives get so dull that I need courser than that), and finish with an extra fine. I find that I like a slightly 'toothy' edge for every day use. The mirror finishes I can get by going up the Sapphire stone is very visually appealing, I just don't think there is an extra performance by going to far. I have 7 or 8 stones for the system (from course up to a strop), but really only use the two to any extent.

And I never use a mount of a rest. My technique is to sit on the couch with my feet up, and watch a movie while I hold the knife/clamp in one hand, and work the stone with the other.

Davidka likes this.