1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

GaryMc's EDC & Life

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by GaryMc, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Feel free to show off your bibles as well and tell us why you chose those specific pieces.

StarBat, UmbertoTortallini and GaryMc like this.
  2. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

Gary Gross, will do sometime this week There was definitely a reason, part of it is again my OCD behavior but mostly a love for actually reading the Bible.

3. Gary Gross

Please don't feel obligated to respond quickly. You just have some interested followers who enjoy your collection.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GaryMc, Nick4305 and colt 1911 like this.
  4. Kris69

Kris69 Loaded Pockets

You Sir have some serious flashlights :smug:

And ZT with brass scales is beautiful :inlove:

5. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

Thank you Kris69!!!!!!!

Kris69 and Nekolf like this.
  6. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

THURSDAY 09/15/2016 EDC - MY PERSONAL HOLY GRAIL EDC SETUP

I hope ya'll enjoy this, I definitely enjoyed writing and photographing it. My post today will be a rarity for me in that I'm going to include a description and a little history behind the items. This is what I consider my personal Holy Grail EDC setup, started it long ago with the purchase of the Rolex Submariner, finally completed it recently with the purchase of the SS United States ZIPPO. I love the Sea, I'm at home there, that leads to a love of nautical themes and the deep blue of the sea so this EDC setup just does it for me personally. I searched for years for items I considered perfect to match that blue Sub for this setup, thought I had it complete then the GodSpeed Tactical Mermaid handkerchief showed up & put it over the top and was now absolute perfection, at least in my mind.

[​IMG]

I also love history and literature, so history often plays a part in my EDC, sometimes literature as well. That history can be personal, a time, a place or an event that you associate with an item. The history associated with some of the Items is included in the descriptions below. Some were chosen specifically for their history such as the ZIPPO, Jules Verne Pen, SAK, and the coins. Of course it didn't hurt they matched up perfectly.

Watch: 1994 Rolex Submariner Ref. No. 16613, stainless steel & 18K yellow gold with blue bezel & face. The stainless anchor on my key chain is a Rolex Submariner anchor as well. Saved for years for this purchase, my once in a lifetime watch. It will be passed on to my Son at some point.

Pen: 2003 Limited Edition Montblanc Writers Edition Jules Verne Ballpoint - From Montblanc: "The Writers Edition Jules Verne delves deep into the fascinating world of the writer. The barrel, made of bright blue lacquer with platinum-plated mountings, is surrounded by a guilloche consisting of evensized waves. Jules Verne’s signature decorates the cap of the writing instrument, and a delicate engraving of an antique diver’s helmet on the rhodium-plated 18- karat gold nib of the fountain pen recalls one of his most famous novels, “Twenty Thousand Leagues under the Sea”.

ZIPPO: 1958 SS United States - From Wikipedia: "SS United States is a luxury passenger liner built in 1952 for United States Lines. It was designed by American naval architect William Francis Gibbs to capture the the Trans-Atlantic speed record. Built at a cost of $79.4 million ($724 million in today's dollars) the ship is the largest ocean liner constructed entirely in the US and the fastest ocean liner to cross the Atlantic in either direction. Even in her retirement, she retains the Blue Riband, the accolade given to the passenger liner crossing the Atlantic Ocean in regular service with the highest speed. Her construction was subsidized by the US government, since she was designed to allow conversion to a troopship should the need arise. United States operated uninterrupted in transatlantic passenger service until 1969."

Swiss Army Knife: Victorinox "Lion of Lucerne" Spartan - From Wikipedia: "The Lion Monument (German: Löwendenkmal), or the Lion of Lucerne, is a rock relief in Lucerne, Switzerland, designed by Bertelsmann Thorvaldsen and hewn in 1820–21 by Lukas Ahorn. It commemorates the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in Paris. Mark Twain praised the sculpture of a mortally-wounded lion as "the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world."

Folder: Hinderer XM-18 - 3.5" blade with blue/black G10 scale reminiscent of waves in the deep blue sea and a Hinderer Horse Head Clip on the back. Tuned to absolute perfection.

Lights: (1) LensLight Titanium MINI Triple Aught Design Edition - utilizes a single CR123 battery. This was an extremely limited edition light and is super rare. (2) CountyComm Maratac Titanium AAA light - attached to my keychain and powered by a single AAA battery.

Coins:
    (1) 1974 Commonwealth of the Bahamas One Dollar - 1974 was the year the Bahamas achieved their independence. Love visiting their beautiful islands.
    (2) 1964 One Bermuda Crown - Queen Elizabeth graces the reverse side. On my bucket list to visit Bermuda since I was 16 years old, Peter Benchley's "The Deep" is the reason.
    (3) 1945 Standing Liberty Half Dollar - The year WWII ended and just one my favorite United States Coins. Reminds me of the days of truly great men like Winston Churchill, Ike, and Patton not to mention all the great veterans who fought that war including a friend who earned a Purple Heart on D-Day at Normandy.

Wallet: Recycled Firefighter "The Rookie" in the perfect shade of blue.

Key Fob: Smathers & Branson Needlepoint "South Carolina" again in a perfect blue - Spent a great deal of my youth in the great state of South Carolina including 2 years of college and love the state, particularly their Coastal and Piedmont regions.

Handkerchief: GodSpeed Tactical "Lost at Sea" - Mermaids & a perfect blue coloring, need I say more?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you read all of this, Thank You and hope you enjoyed it. Sincerely, Gary

7. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

09/15/2016 MAIL CALL #1 - BOKER TREE BRAND CAMP KNIFE INITIAL REVIEW

This one has not gone in my pocket yet but I got it in the mail today and think this is going to get a LOT of pocket time, Boker Camp Knife with Stag handles from Retailer eCop. Very similar to a Victorinox Spartan with an old school really classic feel to it. I remember my Great-Grandfather carrying Bokers and Barlows when I was young so that fact brings back some good memories as I sit holding this knife. I added the Victorinox mini-screwdriver to the corkscrew which was a perfect fit. Also came with a nice sleeve to keep it looking new.

Came really sharp, stainless steel blades & tools, perfect snap and feel, solid lock on all blades and tools, and beautiful stag handles. Made in Germany. $150.00 from eCop. I'll try to give a follow-up after I use it awhile.

Boker Tree Brand Solingen Germany Stainless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. colt 1911

colt 1911 Loaded Pockets

Yep Holy Grail for sure !!! Very very nice. I have to say this thread makes me a little jealous. This is a deep pocket thread

SAK's rule

9. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

colt 1911 Thank you Sir for the kind words. It definitely took some deep pockets, but my Son is out of college, grown, and on his own. My Wife is happy and content, most of the time. And then it took a years of hard work to save and get here finally where I can complete some setups I wanted a long time. Only bad part is I'm now old!!!!!!! Retirement can't come soon enough in some ways, but I will miss a very good salary.

10. colt 1911

colt 1911 Loaded Pockets

I hear ya, I guess we need to get them while we can huh, and still young enough to use and enjoy it ! I've been collecting SAK and Multitool for about 4 yrs now, lot of rescues form flea markets and such ! Most of mine are used and rebuilt.

SAK's rule

GaryMc and Nekolf like this.
  11. Gary Gross

colt 1911 Do you do any custom SAKs? I have a few used pieces I've picked up cheap but the scales are roached. I've thought about doing some "remodeling" with new scales and possibly switching out some tools.

12. colt 1911

colt 1911 Loaded Pockets

I've just started modding SAK's, what tools are you thinking of switching out ?

Sorry GM, don't mean to step on your thread.

Send me a PM GARY

SAK's rule

13. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

colt 1911 Go right ahead here, I'm interested too!!!!!!

Nekolf likes this.
  14. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

DELETED, DOUBLE POST

15. Gary Gross

Since we have@GaryMc permission... What a great host! Anyway...some tools are just ready for replacement. And I've never used a corkscrew in my life. I just think it would be fun to change things up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nekolf and GaryMc like this.
  16. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

LET ME PREFACE THIS POST, I WROTE IT TONGUE IN CHEEK TO KIND OF BE A FUNNY REVIEW ON ANOTHER FORUM PLUS I WAS EXTREMELY EXHAUSTED AS I WROTE IT BUT I FELT THERE MIGHT BE FRIENDS HERE WHO COULD BENEFIT FROM IT AS WELL, SO HERE GOES:

WATCH REPAIR TOOLS REVIEW

OK, guys a little different post. I had some watch tools in a pic in another thread and was asked about them so here goes. I guess I'm just cheap in ways, hate paying a jeweler to change bands, add or remove links, replace batteries, lube o-rings, or pretty much anything else. I am a do-it-yourselfer by nature, a lot of us old coots are. My Father & Grandfather could repair most anything usually better than a "professional" and I have a little of that in me I guess. They kinda rubbed off and I am now that older generation as they are both long gone. I just buy tools and fix stuff myself just like my predecessors on Planet Earth in the Mc family.

So on to the watch tools, I'll give specs and websites purchased where I can remember, prices if available, and my thoughts on quality. Look for the key word guys and gals, VERDICT!!!!!!

First up:

Ohuhu 19-piece Watch Repair Tool Kit Case
    Purchased from Amazon for $21.99
    Made in China
    The case is OK quality, the tools are just OK quality but I'm finding them plenty adequate to get the job done for bands and band links so far, that's all I've tried, recent purchase just to try it out because it looked pretty all inclusive. I do absolutely love that in it is a massive supply of virtually all size spring bars. DING DING DING, worth the price of admittance right there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0188BQO7K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VERDICT: NOT THE QUALITY I'D LIKE BUT IT WAS CHEAP AND I'D BUY IT AGAIN!!!!!!

From Amazon on what's included & specs:

Specifications:
    -Material: Plastic, aluminum alloy, copper, glass
    -Weight: 1.34lbs
    -Dimension: 230 x 180 x 50mm (9.0 x 7.0 x 2.0inch)

Package Includes:
    -6 x Precision screwdrivers
    -1 x Hammer
    -1 x Metal head (for hammer)
    -1 x Plastic head
    -1 x Box of 360 piece spring bars
    -1 x Tweezer
    -3 x Loupes
    -1 x Watch block
    -1 x Watch band link remover
    -2 x Watch back openers
    -1 x Adjustable watch case opener

Pics of what's in the box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SECOND UP:

Obecome Adjustable Watch Band & Bracelet Repair Link Pin Remover Tool Kit Set

Purchased from Amazon for $7.99
    All metal Made in China
    There are 2 keys to this product, #1 it's quality made of an alloy & stainless, & #2 there are extra link push pins provided. I have bought lesser quality link removal tools, blue plastic without extra pins. You will need extra pins, they will break on you as they are small so this is key. GREAT PRODUCT EVEN IF MADE IN CHINA.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CG84M66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VERDICT: I'd buy it again in a heartbeat!!!!!!!

Specs from Amazon:
    All-metal watch band link remover
    Size your watch band yourself with this small, simple tool
    Also works well with bracelets
    Package Contents: 1 x watch band link remover, 3 x pins

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THIRD UP:

LG from Euro Tool Waterproof Watch Case Wrench CWR 600.00
    I bought this years ago from the old Luminous Watch site that repaired and sold parts for Luminox Watches. It is professional grade and outstanding at removing screw in case backs!!!!!

MADE IN USA.

There's one on eBay right now for $79.95 and that's about what I paid for it 15 years ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Euro-Tool-LG-Master-Waterproof-Watch-Case-Wrench-CWR-600-00-/182189147680

VERDICT: OUTSTANDING PROFESSIONAL GRADE TOOL, Winner Winner Pants on Fire, if you can afford it Buy one!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

FOURTH UP:

No idea how to get this spring removal tool, no name I can see on it, but it is outstanding much better than the one in the kit, you ever see it buy it, again Professional Grade Tool. Bought on the old now gone Luminous Watch Repair site.

[​IMG]

FIFTH, SIXTH, THE END

Grab an old mousepad to do your watch work on, they are great for that, usually free as everyone has them lying around the house as few people use them anymore, and your watch will thank you for it. That's five and #6, go to your local ACE Hardware or order from Amazon a tube of "Super Lube Synthetic Grease". Use this liberally on watch case back o-rings and your cheap or high dollar light o-rings to maintain their waterproof capabilities. Cost around $5.56 for a large tube at Amazon or $9.59 at ACE.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473990563&sr=8-1&keywords=super+lube+synthetic+grease

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506761&KPID=5758517&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Lubrication_Products_-_New&pla=pla_5758517&k_clickid=70597807-d73c-4873-ab77-867b8099224f

VERDICT: THIS GREASE IS GREAT FOR A MULTITUDE OF THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! Another winner winner pants on fire deal and an absolute necessity!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Hope this helps some people out and as always thanks for reading another GaryMc review. It's been a looooooong day by the way. Sincerely, Gary

17. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

Gary Gross colt 1911, I love this kind of stuff, I try to do everything myself, see the watch repair tools above for an example. I just love learning mods or how to work on anything so go for it here please!!!!!!!!

Nekolf and Gary Gross like this.
  18. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

What college did you go to? I'm currently a Low Country bumpkin living where the Blue Ridge yawns it's greatness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryMc likes this.
  19. colt 1911

colt 1911 Loaded Pockets

Ok, i have some pin stock, I can send you a stock, it's a little hard to come by. Be careful not to damage the collar when drilling out the pin.

PM me a shipping address and I will get it out tomorrow.

SAK's rule

GaryMc likes this.
  20. GaryMc

GaryMc Loaded Pockets

FRIDAY 09/16/2016 EDC - HOLY GRAIL #2 PIRATE GRAIL

Aye Mateys, I have another Grail EDC setup today but this one is geared at pure fun, you could say "Just because ye' gotta have a little fun in this lifetime", you only get one you know. If you read my EDC post yesterday, you know I love nautical things, today's no exception. I thought I had this setup nailed down then I saw a friend's GodSpeed Tactical "Undead Pirates" handkerchief and once again GodSpeed Tactical put an EDC setup over the top to me so now I'm sharing it. (Part of this has been posted in my thread here before, I.e. Buffett)

I have been following Jimmy Buffett for 40 years now, been to his concerts most every year since 1978 so I guess I'm a Parrothead. The reason for discussing Buffett is my favorite Buffett song, the one that stays stuck in my head constantly, is "A Pirate Looks at 40". Many of the lyrics just hit home for me, 2 verses in particular:

"Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder
    I'm an over-forty victim of fate
    Arriving too late, arriving too late"

"Mother, mother ocean,
    I have heard you call

Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall

You've seen it all, you've seen it all

Watched the men who rode you switch from sails to steam
    And in your belly you hold the treasures few have ever seen
    Most of them dream, most of them dream"

If my life had a theme song, Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at 40" is it. So in honor of the pirate in many of us and particularly for this old pirate for whom the age of 40 is now a distant memory, today's EDC pics and thanks for taking the time to read the ramblings of an old man.

[​IMG]

Watch: Blackout Concepts Ocean Master Skull Series (Swiss Made) w/black Clockwork Synergy NATO strap

Pen: Montblanc Starwalker Rubber/Platinum ballpoint bought in the Marigot, St. Maarten Montblanc Store many years ago, best writing pen I've ever owned

Lighter: Bottomz Up Zippo, Crossbones & Skull (bottoms on both ends), Japanese market only shipped from Japan with a Z-Plus Extreme butane insert

Lights: (1) LENSLIGHT MINI TAD Edition aluminum 1xCR123 in black & (2) Maratac Titanium AAA on keychain

SAK: Victorinox ALOX Harvester black K-N-T 2016 only limited edition order shipped from Knives N' Tools in Switzerland

Folder: ZT0303 known in my house as "DiNozzo", if you watch NCIS you'll know why, my 2nd favorite folder

Wallet: Recycled Firefighter "The Rookie" in black combat boot leather

Handkerchief: GodSpeed Tactical "Undead Pirates"

Key Fob: Smathers & Branson needlepoint "Jolly Roger" in black with a real skeleton key attached to it to open ye' olde treasure chest matey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW: After today I have one more Grail Setup I'll write up in the next week, other than that back to just pics. Thanks for looking as always. Sincerely, Gary