1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Garmin vs. TomTom...CA area

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Maml, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Maml

Maml Loaded Pockets

Hi All,

We're making our way to California on holiday...basically driving from LA; inland via some of the parks etc ending in SanFran.

Renting a GPS is rediculously expensive ($12/day x 23 days = $253).

As I see it, my options are:
    - I have Nuvi 200W, but no US maps...and Garmin recon their coverage is not as good as the Northern States ("major urban areas with intertown roads"). The mapset will cost me about $80.

- Updating my wifes' Iphone with TomTom software...not sure about this one or the cost...or the effectiveness?

- Buying a TomTom once there; hopefully the maps will be included in the package...but which model. Bearing in mind I could then sell the unit once we're done with it (we have friends in FL who can hang onto it if needs be until it sells).

So, any and all opinions welcome.

Also, which is more accurate/detailed - Garmin or TomTom, or much of a muchness?

Thanks in advance :)

Mike

2. Lemmez

Lemmez Loaded Pockets

Mike,

I rock the Tom Tom app on my iPhone 4. It works just as well as my older garmin unit and hardly ever looses signal. I use it when I go to la all of the times with no issues. The only issue I see with the Tom Tom app on your iPhone is that it uses tons of juice from your battery. Oh and it is a 1.5 gb download ( I downloaded it through the app store on my phones 3G and it took a good 3 hours, ymmv.

Another thing that rocks about Tom Tom app is that you can use the app around me to find destinations around you and then you can hit show route through Tom Tom. [​IMG]

3. T.J.

T.J. Loaded Pockets

Can't help with TOM_TOM because I don't have an Iphone but I am in the Bay area and my Garmin works excellent. A little spotty in SF because of all the hills and tall buildings though. I cover a sales territory from LA to Santa Rosa and it works great everywhere, SF is the only place I have had small problems. (Problems have usually been limited to slow refresh rate, which, in SF can be a problem because the place is a maze)

Having said that you should be able to get something that works here in Ca for $100 or so and then give it to your friends in Fl.

4. longrange2

longrange2 Loaded Pockets

I picked up a nice used Nuvi 1350T from Craigslist for $100. Works great and it has helped me navigate around CA just fine. I've also got a Colorado topo overlay on the Garmin that show land ownership status, for example USFS, BLM, etc. Great for finding public land when hunting or camping.

5. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

6. Maml

Maml Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for the responses - much appreciated. We're going to have a look at an entry level TomTom when we get to FL...seems the best/easiest for the $'s.

Seriously?
    So is a smaller car; backpackers accommodation; watching the rides from the perimeter gate; not eating at restaurants etc etc...lol hehe joking.

Used to use maps, but then 2004 came around; I was given my Garmin and I've never turned back. Thank you for showing the other side of the coin though, didn't actually even consider it for this trip. ;-)

7. bkdotcom

bkdotcom Loaded Pockets

Flame-bait considering this is the electronic gadgets forum.

8. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

I guess it was. Sorry about that. I've been dealing with vehicle issues caused by the overcomplexity of electronic gadgets. My sister inlaws VW Taureg had some fault in the built in navigation systems that couldn't be fixed without tearing apart the dash and replacing the nav system, stereo, and a couple of other electronic boxes. The warranty would have covered the the parts but not the labor, which was estimated at $3400. That was the final straw as far as we were concerned, and she convinced the dealer to buy it back after two very troubled years of operation. Added to that is my frustration with coworkers who can't navigate from point A to point B without a GPS or turn-by-turn directions from Google Maps.

9. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

LOL I keep a full set of paper maps in my SUV along with a pen light for reading them in the dark. I like the electronic navigators, but half the time they send me in weird directions on country roads. Sometimes a decent map from AAA works much better.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Since it sounds like you will be visiting some parks and scenic areas, be sure to consider an atlas from Benchmark Maps: http://www.benchmarkmaps.com/

Between their atlas series and DeLorme there is tons of great info that a GPS might overlook. As far as electronics go, I have never used TomTom, but have used Garmin models for 10 years and have nothing bad to say about them.

11. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I'll agree!!!!!!!!! Paper is still the best, no power problems.

But to answer the question: I have used Garmin they have been good.
    Any of the newer Tom Tom's or Garmin's are going to do the job you'll have. Unless you are going way off-road.
    The $150.00 price range would be OK.

Lateck,

12. Maml

Maml Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all who replied - much appreciated.

We're back, and had a fantastic time - you guys have a stunning country!

Ended up borrowing our friends' Garmin; which was great...one or two hiccups with new roads etc that Garmin haven't updated. Signal was a small issue in San Fran, but we didn't get too lost.
    Used touristy maps when on foot; which worked out fine.

Fed-Ex'd it back to them the day before we left. Travelling to SFO on the last morning was fun as well (no maps, no GPS...just signboards).

We'll definately be back!