1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

games in your edc

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by shwa, Jan 9, 2009.

1. shwa

shwa Loaded Pockets

Does anyone carry any kind of entertainment like cards or dices in you edc maybe not daily carry but let say in BOB ?what games would you recommended? electronic vs analog ?any thoughts?

2. messerjocke2000

messerjocke2000 Loaded Pockets

I always carry a pack of 100% plastic poker cards. Mostly to play MauMau (like UNO) with my daughter while waiting for food at a restaurant. I used to have a small pouch with 6 dice and metal "matchsticks". Have to find that...

3. Buzzard

Buzzard Empty Pockets

I carry a deck of cards in my B.O.B. which I always keep in the car - not technically EDC as it's not on my person, but it's close. I've got Tetris on my cell phone which IS part of my EDC and a couple of games on my Palm Pilot which is always in my briefcase. I still think the playing cards are one of the best game choices because there are so many games you can play with them and they don't require batteries! :)

4. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

My EDC cellphone's got a builtin Tetris game which I usually play when I'm bored but my office mates do EDC rubik's cubes, sudokubes, and pocket sudoku books... sometimes I just borrow their toys... hehehehehehehe :roof:

5. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Not really EDC, but usually in my BOB, travel carry-on, and in my disaster supply tubs, I have several games. Good morale, having some diverting downtime, alleviating boredom (passing long hours patiently), and maintaining a positive state of mind are not insignificant considerations in a survival situation or during a disaster.

I have a plastic deck of playing cards. I also have about 10 different sets of various cards that have pictures or info on them: survival, geography, great works of art, trivia, brain games, etc. My favourite travel recreation is an electronic mini-chess computer (which can be securely closed and packed up when on the move) that is great for playing by oneself, against the computer, or against an opponent. I also have a GameBoy with a large assortment of games, but I tend to favour the puzzle games for repeat playability and amusement. I also like certain "quest" type games that can be played for hours... i.e. Final Fantasy, Zelda, Gauntlet. I have convenient travel-size versions of Scrabble, Yahtzee, Backgammon, Checkers, Dominoes, and Go.

When I was couped up in a cabin while it rained at summer camp, our cabin guide improvised this game of Risk that he made out of a map of California, a marker pen, some index cards, dice, and various coloured/shaped M&Ms and Rice Chex. I still remember that game 3 plus decades later... LOL.

mooshisho likes this.
  6. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

I carry an EeePC in my EDC (with Mandriva Linux), so I got some simple games like Crack Attack (pretty addictive), Othello, Gbrainy etc. For "survival" oriented EDC though I would not recommend electronic entertainment. Cards are better, you can find also many games miniaturized for travel like chess, mikado etc.

7. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Not EDC, but if I am going anywhere where I may have some downtime, or a flight, I always have my Sony PSP (Playstartion Portable). Great for games and movies.

8. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

In My BOB - Two Sudoko paperbacks and one deck of playing cards.

KM

9. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

In my EDC I have the games included on my cell phone. The only one I actually play regularly is Midnight Pool.

In my BOB I have a small game kit: a deck of playing cards, PocketMod copies of Microlite20 (plus dungeons) and Risus, and a set of polyhedral dice plus an extra 6d6.

10. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry five very small six-sided dice in a spy capsule, which adds a bit of fun to my tool-keychain EDC.

I mostly play "Ship, Captain, Mate and Crew" with them, but they're also good for other dice games...provided nobody sneezes.

I have a couple of decks of cards stashed in my room...might start packing 'em around a bit and see if an opportunity to play comes up.

11. dwrd

dwrd Empty Pockets

I have games on my iphone, and I keep a deck of cards in my EDC bag.

12. shwa

shwa Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the replies,I'm big fan of analog games.
    But with the analog stuff its always problem to keep the score ,like with the games we usually play : rummy and yamb.
    in survival situation what would be best way to keep the score
    would you use your moleskin and your tactical pen or something else? playing games that not requiring score keeping ?
    technical pencils vs pencils vs markers or pens?or make some semi permanent score keeper?
    I know this question might be more suitable in other Category but since its related to this topic I guess its alright to
    ask it here

13. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

Small dice game called farkle in a 35mm film container....... with a small folding game box that is 2 inches thick, 4 x 8 that has magnetic chess and backgammon and checkers with 1 deck of cards, cribbage board, harmonica, and small rubik's cube with a yo yo !

Everything is contained in the 2x4x8 leather covered box. I have carried that basic kit all over the world during my military career with some additions here and there........ very lightweight, compact and versatile . I have a small compact mini set of dominoes and will make room for those in my ruck as well.

mooshisho likes this.
  14. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Farkle is lots of fun! Best game based on an antiquated expletive I've ever played. ;D

15. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

I just googled the rules for farkle and instantly recognized the game we call 10,000. Great game, fun and passes the time.

16. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

No games. Not at home, not on the move. No board nor computer games.

However, a book or newspaper is often carried, and my pen and notebook will allow me to come up with something to entertain my kids when we're waiting for something, either drawing, learning to write letters and numbers, or explaining some machine or concept. With the kids, m wife is best at telling stories, I specialize in small daily "lectures" and "how does this work".

Nothing against games, though. I just don't fancy them.

17. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Not exactly EDC portable, but Travel Scrabble usually goes in my carry-on. The kit is fantastically well designed. You can even suspend a game in the middle and start up again. Plus Scrabble is one of the best games out there (enough randomness to make it exciting, but not so much that it negates skill).

18. Alexipax

Alexipax Empty Pockets

I just Wikipedia'ed the rules for farkle, ship, and maumau, printed them out and stuck them with six dice and a deck of cards in both the diaper bag and the shelter-in-place tub. Hadn't thought of putting rules for lots of different games in there, thanks all!

Keep the discussion (and suggestions) going.

19. spyguy

spyguy Loaded Pockets

I have an ultralight chess/checkers set and a deck of cards never thought of dice though think i will add some

20. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Does anyone here remember MicroGames? Back around 1980, they put out this series of very fun, mini-board games with die-cut paper pieces and hex-grid maps. Each game came packed in a Zip-lock bag and was thinner than a small paperback book in size. They were basically like those big boxed strategy games which were still popular then (pre-computer video game) except smaller and greatly simplified. Popular titles included: Ogre/G.E.V. - future tank battles, Melee/Wizard - swords and sorcery combat, Car Wars - kind of a Mad Max world where you trick out cars, trucks, motorcycles with weapons and fight each other, oh, and this fun robot vs. robot game (whose title eludes me) where you build custom robots and slug it out with others in an arena.

Unfortunately this company went de-funct (or at least they discontinued the games), and since they were all essentially made of paper, they really did not survive the test of time. But I remember having great fun playing those mini-games and I remember how endlessly diverting they were.

Inner Prop likes this.