1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

G-Shock Opinions

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Bighead, Nov 12, 2007.

1. big payback

big payback Empty Pockets

I have a G-Shock G-9000. It is water resistant to a depth that I never care to go. It is real robust, but the buttons are stiff, that can be corrected by boiling the outer bezel. It has all of the features i need, none that i dont, and is easy to use. My only complaint is that there is no way to customize the strap. Its a great strap from the factory, but i like to be unique, ya know? Maybe someone can uses some CNC magic to make a zulu stap adapter for the G-9000? Or a paracord strap adaptor?

2. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I, too, am a big fan of G-Shock Watches. They have never let me down. I had them in an industrial environment and it never failed. Since I am more white-collar than I would like, I have moved to the Casio ProTrek Pathfinder (in Titanium). I am very very happy with this watch. It has a Barometer, Compass, and Altimeter. It has the form AND function of EDC's.

3. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Picked up my "tough solar" on sale at sports authority.

Modded the velcro strap on a wide band EK wrist strap to fit the 16mm pins, but went back to the resin because the overall set up was just too big. If anyone wants the EK PM me. I'll send it to you at shipping cost.

4. uspopo

uspopo Loaded Pockets

Have owned 4 GShocks over the last 15 years. Great watches and you can't go wrong with one! :roof: I currently wear a Solar GW2300 on patrol and have no problems with it.

Stan

5. wmcamp0

wmcamp0 Loaded Pockets

+1 G-shock Mudman. I have had this for about a year and it is one of best watches I have ever owned.

6. peacefuljeffrey

Somewhere on some thread I gave my thoughts about what would make G-Shock watches ideal to me.

I do have a DW-5600E (and a backup for it) and I had one going back as far as the early '80s.

I liked SecondStoryGuy's post, especially the tactical angle of it. You know, they make those watch bands with the flap of nylon that covers the watch face; that would take care of the tritium glow, I imagine -- but then you'd have giveaway velcro noise if you needed to check the time! ("The tearrrring!")

I also don't like the fact that with a G-Shock, you can't turn off the beeps that occur with button presses! Why not?!
    Plus, the more recent versions of the DW-5600 don't have all the functions that older ones had! How do they explain that with better technology, the watch can't do all that it used to?! :rant: My new one has no dual time. The stopwatch loses the 1/100 sec. function after one hour! Why?!

Lately I have switched and am wearing a Timex Ironman because I gave it a try and liked it. The backlight is cool, because the numbers are what lights up, not the background! I also like the 30-lap feature.

7. Splat

Splat Loaded Pockets

My Gshock's taken a beating but still going strong. :bricks: Now that I've had it for almost a year the only thing I don't like is the alarm isn't loud enough. I need to keep it close as possible when sleeping or I'll never hear it. I tried wearing it to sleep but I've never worn watches to bed so that experiment failed. Other than that I still love it. I'd definitely buy another Gshock.

8. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

not even sure how old my G-shock is. #DW-6800 needs a band, but my model does not come up on some places. not sure why. Still a great work watch.

9. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

I always was. I pretty much retired this one in about '95 but it was always my favorite watch.

[​IMG]

I recently found this watch amongst my stuff. Evidently it is now 'vintage'. I was working in a factory at the time and this watch has been accidently bashed into cinderblock walls, stainless steel tables and the like and it still looks OK. Function has never waivered and it's still on the original battery. That's 18 or 19 years. What's not to be happy about?

10. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

What is the smallest and lightest G-Shock watch with solar power? I don't care for the atomic wave feature if it adds size and weight to the watch. I have small hands and wrists. Thanks.

11. DiabloSc(+)pe

DiabloSc(+)pe Loaded Pockets

I have a GW 1500 A and i couldnt be more satified , yea its big but its grown on me like the first day !! It fits great ,looks awesome , Manly and has a Great Face .. sorry for the stock pic .. even my phone taks big pics , takes too long to resize !!
    :brickwall:

Attached Files:

12. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Andy McNab is always talking about his "baby G"! 'Nuff said? Should be. I had a G-Shock many years ago and used it for a lot of scuba diving with never a failure. I had it on a (then-available) Tekna band that ran through both pins so if one should fail, the watch wouldn't fall off. The Tekna also had a spring on the buckle so the band would contract as your wetsuit did and stay solid on your wrist. Sadly, Tekna, one of the great innovative companies, is now out of business.

Problem for me today is, the "eyes" don't "have it" anymore. Backlighting and digital readout just doesn't work for my failing eyesight. Instead, I've been wearing (24/7) a Luminox Seal Mod II for some time now. Yeah, if I get into a dicey tactical situation I'd need to make sure my jacket covered the watch. But at 3 AM checking the time in bed without my glasses (or at 90 feet underwater, ditto), this is the watch that delivers the goods. I've modded it with an Aztec band, which is as good as the Tekna (though without the spring).

Would love to move to something ultra-sexy (in black Ti?). Any suggestions?

13. Loogie

Loogie Empty Pockets

Pecefuljeffery's post echos my own experiences with the 5600. I really wanted to like it, but there were a few annoying issues. The largest, however, is that I found the numbers to be surprisingly small and at times, difficult to read quickly.

I currently wear an Ironman (one of the smaller models), and I really like the substantially larger numbers and that it has a kind of greenish-yellow reflective background which helps to contrast the digits. These are big sellers for me.

14. Gene O

Gene O Empty Pockets

My DW 6600 has been with me every day since 1994. It has taken a beating and then some. If you are looking for a watch that will take a beating and then some, always by a G

15. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

If you want a G-Shock with altimeter and themometer, look no further than GW9200 Riseman (flying dragon)

It also has multi band 6 atomic (US, UK, Germany, Japan x 2 and China), tough solar, 24 hr SWT and CDT, world time, and of course the alti / baro reading and themometer.

its a very comfortable wear to wear and its very balanced on the wrist (it got something to do with the construction lining up the sensors and structure right around the middle of the watch)

GW9200 is by no means your everyday $50 G-Shock cause its pretty complete with most up-to-date technology.

if you want something that's cheaper (to beat up and then replace), i highly recommand G2300/2310, G9000 / GW9000 Mudman, GW810D (which has SS bracelet) and GWM5600. Also the simple battery powered DW9052, DW5600E, DW6600 (only 60 CDT) or DW6900 are good as well.

16. Slomo26

Slomo26 Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing some type of G-Shock for the last 15 years. My latest is the GW5600J. The only thing that wears out is the band.

17. thewae

thewae Empty Pockets

Ther're all tested tough. So no worries.
    Extremely durable, and atomic/solar models are great.