1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

G-Shock Opinions

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Bighead, Nov 12, 2007.

1. peacefuljeffrey

Well, I'm not able to shell out for this G-class Mercedes. I'm also confident I'd find something cheap or wrongly designed about it (or at least, something that could easily have been made better than they did it) -- I'm good at that.

I see ads for Breitling watches in AOPA Pilot magazine all the time. Yeah, they're high-end, but they're pretty :censored: good-looking watches. Doesn't the Emergency come with an ELT in it? Do you have to have a pilot's license to get a Breitling? :idiot2: That'd be weird... but at least I have it covered. :-X

Meanwhile, my 20+ year-old Heuer has an E6B computer on the bezel, which is sweeeeeeet! I love using that thing (but I'm probably a little rusty at it now).

My big gripe is that Casio can't manage (or worse, won't bother) to make a NO-NONSENSE, TOUGH, MINIMALIST watch in the G-Shock line, without the silly crap on it, without blobs of excess plastic, that includes the functions that darn well should "fit" in the module!

2. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

agreed about the Gshock bulk. sometimes i'd like something along the lines of my Timex Ironman Sleek (big numbers, no blips), but with Gshock durability.....

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

That battery change was a few years ago. A watch/etc kiosk in Sears(in CA) They changed the battery and set the time/date for a lot less than $20. years ago. My DW-6800, still going strong.

4. Splat

Splat Loaded Pockets

All this talk of Gshocks came at a good time. I needed a new watch as my old Timex bit the dust. Had that watch for roughly 15 years. Not bad at all because I didn't baby it. I didn't really know of the G-Shock line until I read about them here. Well, today I bought my first G-Shock. It's the MTG-930DA-8V http://tinyurl.com/26nde3 I wish it had a countdown timer but since I've never had one before I figure it's not a big deal to me. The store had a Christmas sale so I surprisingly got a very good retail price on it. I love this watch. :woohoo: It's a :censored: good looking watch, feels like it's built like a tank, has features I don't even know if I'll use yet :) , has the atomic time retrieval feature as well as solar charging of the battery. It feels like it should've been on wrist already. Oh, did I mention it's a :censored: good looking watch. ;D Thanks for leading to my first G-Shock, guys.
    --
    Splat

5. NoName

NoName Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

6. peacefuljeffrey

I agree that it's a pretty good looking watch, as far as the case and band and general profile.
    But it has what I was referring to, as far as those circles with the extra (read: "superfluous") LCD blips.

I don't intend to demean your watch, and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it. But for me, I wish that Casio wasn't putting that froofy stuff into their watches. That stuff is for dazzling the eyes of 13-year-olds, as far as I'm concerned. Big boys who recognize "no-nonsense" toys don't need or want it.

I'm glad you brought up the Atomic Timekeeping thing... That's another complication I prefer not to have in my watch. I don't need or want Big Brother beaming signals to my watch, and I don't want added electronics that could possibly fail. I like simple simple simple. OK, now I'm off on a rant... sorry. :-X

7. Twitchy

Twitchy Loaded Pockets

I'd like to also add that Casio does have some simple yet tough watches in their lineup - the Overland series. Unfortunately they are only sold in Japan, and through some enterprising individuals on eBay.

8. Splat

Splat Loaded Pockets

I know, and I thought it would impede a quick recognition of the digits I would mostly be looking for/at, which is the actual time. So far, it doesn't. It was either this watch or the GW800D-1V, which you might like more since it's got less on the face.

Hey, everyone's got their opinions. That's what makes the world so :censored: crazy, and sometimes fun. :highfive: :idiot2: I like the atomic feature and I don't feel it's more prone to failing than anything else in the watch. In hoping that a digital, rather than analog, watch would be less prone to failure is one reason I switched to digital. My old Timex was analog. Pardon the pun, but time will tell.
    --
    Splat

9. jp1357

jp1357 Empty Pockets

hi, I've owned my G-Shock Waveceptor/Tough Solar for 2 years now. Solid as a Rock!!! I have MTG-900m2638. Bought it at Wally World for $97.00. Out of all the watches I have owned it is the Best. I never take it off, it stands up to whatever I can dish out. I also own another one but I had to change the battery( Yes They do have to be replaced every few years) and screwed up the seal and it filled with water :lolhammer: so I bought another one. They have never let me down, keeps perfect time, Etc. well enough said.

10. peacefuljeffrey

Here's something I bet you wouldn't suspect: I do like the idea of the "Tough Solar".

I'm not really familiar with how it works, though, so if anyone feels like posting details I'd appreciate that. I just like the idea of not having to count on batteries, and getting energy from ubiquitous, free energy. Do the Tough Solars have a battery inside as a backup? For how long could they run if they were able to be completely sequestered away from suitable light for charging, anyway?

The problem I have with Casio is that there are very few Tough Solar models that are not also Wave-Ceptors. :mad:

I'd love it if they made a DW-5600, made it a Tough Solar, took away the beep beeps that happen when you switch or activate modes, put the Dual Time back into it (and made it instant-on accessible like my IronMan does), and fixed the chronometer so that it maintains hundredths all the way through a 24-hour period.

11. jp1357

jp1357 Empty Pockets

Hi, They have a rechargeable lithium battery in them. They will last about 6 months with no light, the watch will go into sleep mode to conserve energy. I hope this helps. :luck:

12. elsilrac1

elsilrac1 Empty Pockets

I wore one when I was in the military. I loved it, and never had any problems.

13. secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy Empty Pockets

I've had pretty much every watch known to man, even a Rolex Sea Dweller, and I wear a G-shock everyday. I've worn one since before I was in high school, through my time in the service, and now on duty as an LE officer. It's the one watch that I keep going back to...so I guess you can say I'm a fan! The DW-5600E model is the one I prefer, but other are nice too. The G-shock DW-5600 has a lot going for it...and has a few features that the average user doesn't appreciate. Some of the features I like are:

-it's has a light or "electro luminescent" type illuminator that you can toggle on/off. Tritium or glow in the dark watches are HUGE visual indicators if your trying to be stealthy. I watched one of my team members sneaking up to a house on raid and his tritium watch was glowing like a beacon...it was scary obvious...and he never wore it again.

-it's very, very, tough...tougher than any mechanical watch. A stainless steel sub-chassis surrounded by rubber=very rugged and not to big

-it's digital: When an analog watch fails, sometimes you don't know it's not working properly as it just slows down but appears to be running. With a digital watch it normally goes down all the way to blank screen or has other indicators of power loss giving the user and indication that there is a problem.

-inexpensive: $45-70

These are a few of the reasons I like em. I feel they are the Glock of the watch world!! The down side it that they are not to sexy...I wish they did the DW-5600 with a simple titanium case and rubber band.

14. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure if this post was made in jest, but in case it was genuine:

There are pretty much no automatic chronographs south of $600. And none will be as durable as the cheapest quartz watch.

15. defusion

defusion Loaded Pockets

don't forget the land rover defender!
    Though i like the military G-wagon aswell.

16. Spectre

Spectre Empty Pockets

I've always worn Seiko Dive watches. Just my thing I guess. But I always wear a cheapo type watch at work (police officer) so if it get smashed or gross I dont care. I had a few GI type watches and finally three years ago got a G shock DW6900, I love it. Easy to read w illumonator and has a stopwatch and alarm. I end up wearing it alot.

Attached Files:

17. dudegalea

dudegalea Empty Pockets

My favorite G-Shock is the GW-5500. I've messed around with mine quite a bit. Swapped a module from one version into another. Removed the resin strap. Fitted strap adapters and a Zulu strap.

It's now just about right! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW With reference to the comment above about not being able to mute the button alert tone; the modern G-Shock modules do allow you to turn this tone off, even for the stopwatch start/stop operations. The only sound that will be emitted in this mode is sound that you've asked for, i.e. alarms, hourly time signal and/or countdown timer. And you can easily see if there is an alarm or hourly time signal set.

18. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

Hi Dudegalea,

Where did you get your strap adapters. These would help solve several problems for me.

19. dudegalea

dudegalea Empty Pockets

I got them from here:

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

Note that they're not designed for the GW-5500. I had to do extra work to be able to use them on that model (such as cutting a resin strap to pieces and making some bits to secure the watch case).

If you have one of the compatible watches (listed on the site) then they'll just work without much trouble.

20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

CountyComm also have the G-Shock adaptors for $12. US. Similar straps also