1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

G-Shock Opinions

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Bighead, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Bighead

Bighead Loaded Pockets

I'm sure that this gets brought up quite a bit, but are people happy with their G-Shocks? I generally beat the crap out of anything that I have, especially my watches, since they are with me all the time. Also, I thought that G-Shock came with an altimeter in them? I was reading through the product descriptions on their website and was a bit dissapointed in finding out that they don't. Or a thermometer. Anybody know of any worthwhile watches that have these things? Or should I go with a G-shock and enjoy it? Thanks for the help.

2. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

3. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Empty Pockets

I have been wearing a g-shock for the last 6 yrs and it has been a good watch. I've replaced the battery once. (by myself - didn't want to pay someone $30 to do it) I wasn't worried about a alt or therm. so it has served my purposes well. The only complaint I have is the height of the watch itself lends itself to getting snagged on things.

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

G-Shock is a sub-brand of Casio, not a specific watch. They're built to a different level of durability than other 'normal' watches, but you can't lump them all together.

I have no complaints about the G-Shocks that I've owned other than some of the models are a bit thick, and some were ugly. I don't own any G-Shocks anymore, preferring automatic diver's watches.

5. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

i like mine. cheap, durable. Great for physical activity where you sweat a lot and it gets banged around. I have the g-8000, got it for $40.

6. Abbey_Lad

Abbey_Lad Loaded Pockets

I have a WADE MAN G-Shock and I loved it, it was the American Rescue Team Model ( DW 9800 ART). I say loved it because it no longer works (well displays to be precise). It's been sent away to Casio France and they don't stock the parts for this model. Apparently a component on the display is on the fritz so doesn't display clearly. I thought the reduced clarity of the numbers was due to a failing battery. The battery was replaced but to no avail. It functioned correctly but as the compoment in the lcd driver died it's impossible to tell. To all intents and purposes it's dead. Unless I can find someone with the spare parts.

By the way this model had the functions: Compass and thermometer, I'm not sure if it had the altimeter, I can't remember. It also had a table of average temperatures for every city throughout the year, which really wasn't much use but was a good conversation piece. Have moved onto a Suunto X-lander which does fine for me.

7. Twitchy

Twitchy Loaded Pockets

They are decent pieces of kit for the money. Good functionality depending on model. Some are even quite attractive looking. But the downside, as Abbey Lad has discovered, is that there is a huge spares issue. I had the strap on my G-Shock break only to be told that to replace it would cost more than the replacement of the watch. It seems that Casio is intent on maintaining the 'disposable' aspect of the G-Shock range.

8. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

No current g-shock model has sensors,

the only models that had sensors were:
    - DW6100 only thermometer
    -DW6500 (skyforce) altimeter-barometer thermometer
    - its successor the DW9100 (Riseman) altimeter-barometer thermometer
    - DW9800 (wademan) digital compass and thermometer
    (do I forgot someone?)

They are all discontinued now and almost reached the collectible status.
    If you want sensors you have to look in the ProTrek (Pathfinders in the USA) range
    my brother got a nice PRG-70 with triple sensors and tough solar technology.

I myself wear a "classic" g-shock G-5500-1jf :cool:

9. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Hey Shrap, can you suggest some decent auto-wind watches with the chrono features for under, say, $150?

10. MattR

MattR Loaded Pockets

DW-5600E-1V is all you need. Atleast thats what I have, its the classic G-Shock. In my experience watches with Altimeters and thermometers are fairly innacurate. I have seen a Suunto Altimax (around a $400 watch) where once adjusted to your body heat the thermo is very innacurate and even if you take the watch off and set it out in the ambient it took almost 15 min. to get an accurate reading. Most of these watches used cheap piezoresistive sensors for the Barometer/altimeter that are way to small to get an accurate reading. A friend has a Casio Triple Sensor and the Alt. on his differs anywhere from 20 ft. up to 250!! inexcusable in my book. Some may be better than others. IMO get a watch to tell time, and a separate instrument for Baro/Alt. that is specifically for that. I have been looking at these lately such as the Kestrel line of weather instruments. G-Shocks are awsome though, cant go wrong.

Matt

11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Just to add, my G-Shock is over 8 years old. Battery replaced once, about $12 US. The straps are the weak point, but I remember getting G Shock straps from other than Casio brand. Yes, big on my wrist also.

12. NoName

NoName Loaded Pockets

Nothing beats a G-Shock if you're going to rough it out. I definitely need mine for the outdoors.

My brother once accidentally dropped his from 10 floors up, and it was still functioning!

13. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

there was a guy on another forum who once dropped a G from a 25 storey building
    it landed on a car parking and it survived with minor scuffs...
    Other guys boiled or frozen their G and several passed over them with their trucks just for fun...
    You can't go wrong with a G

14. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

been wearing a blue GL-7500 for two years now. whacked cement walls with it numerous times and it's taken two hard whacks from rattan sticks during filipino martial arts training. didn't skip a beat. i keep waiting for the battery to go, but other than that.....

15. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Been wearing my G-Shock (Model DW-6600) for at least a few years now, during work and play time. Still on the original battery and it keeps time really well. A little bulky, but these things can sure take a beating. Definitely something I would buy again in a heartbeat!

I had been using various Timex watches but they just weren't cutting it.

Here's a link to a picture on Wikipedia which happens to be the DW-6600 model:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G-Shock.jpg

16. peacefuljeffrey

I've had a G-Shock since I was in about 8th grade (1984).

On my wrist right at this moment is a new Timex Ironman that I got at Walmart for $30.

I don't dislike G-Shock, in fact I do like them. But I find plenty to dislike about them.

Here is a list of what I don't like about G-Shocks and what I would like Casio to change or fix (these pertain specifically to the DW-5600 -- the basic G-Shock watch)

- The more current models of the DW-5600 have FEWER features than they USED to.
    - Gone is the Dual Time function.
    - Gone is the "Reminder" function.

- The Chronometer function switches digits after one hour: the hundredths of a second turn to seconds, seconds turn to minutes, minutes turn to hours. I don't like that (although I admit the same thing happens with this Timex I just got).

- User cannot turn off the beeps that occur on pressing buttons. (The Timex allows this, but oddly, only when switching between modes; when using chronometer it still beeps for start/stop.) I want a watch that can be completely quiet and stealthy.

- Rather than have the user set the day to match the date, the Casio has a "smart" calendar. When you enter the year and date, it knows the day. BUT, this is good only until 2039. While I don't really expect the watch to be used through 2039, I don't like the fact that its calendar is essentially useless after that. Why not just have the user set the day when he sets the date?

- Casio can't seem to make up its mind about which button should operate the backlight. On my current DW-5600, it's the bottom right button. Used to always be the top right. Why switch? It throws me off when I switch to a different Casio I use.

I sure wish that the band could be more firmly attached than just by using the standard pathetically weak pins. I bet that's all about liability: should the watch get caught on something, they want it to break away. Pishposh. I want it to be STURDY!

Major gripes about Casio G-Shock watches in general:

-Most Casio G-Shock watches are made to be TREMENDOUS -- so tremendous that many of the models are laughable.
    -Most of the models are "dolled-up" with a lot of useless, stupid, pointless, ostentatious little LCD "blips," like those circular seconds-counters. Sorry, I don't need that--the seconds digits already count the seconds for me. I see them as useless flash.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a Casio or a Timex watch out there that has ALL of what I want and NONE of what I don't. I guess I'd have to engineer one myself. Too bad I'm not an engineer. :(

17. NoName

NoName Loaded Pockets

Totally agree! WTH are those things doing on a watch that's supposed to be uber tough and practical!?!

18. peacefuljeffrey

There are very few things made in this modern world that are strictly about "uber toughness and practicality."

Some guns. Some pocket knives. Almost no watches. No cars (and I mean NO cars!).

Even a lot of "tactical" pocket knives have that stupid recurve in the blade that makes it impossible to sharpen them on a simple, flat bench stone. Why?! I'll tell you le-why: because it "LOOKS cool. :rolleyes: You can probably already tell that in this modern world, looks trump function, because everyone is into appearances and doesn't give a darn about substance.

19. Twitchy

Twitchy Loaded Pockets

No cars? I beg to differ - the Mercedes Benz G-class. But only the German military version.

As for watches, there are some that would meet the required criteria, but they do cost. Of particular note are the Breitling range, especially the Emergency (wish I had both the cash AND a pilots license).

20. peacefuljeffrey

I recognize that the straps are the weak point. Generally, it's not the PINS that go, though, but the flex point in the band where it goes through the buckle. That begins to deteriorate.

You say it cost you $12 to replace the battery of your G-Shock? What model was it, and was there anything special required for opening the watch?
    I ask because I simply did the task myself, recently. Four screws, easily opened with a single selection from my cheap set of mini-screwdrivers (a gift from my ex-girlfriend that is very useful). I found that the o-ring needed replacement, so I ordered one from some outfit in NYC (or at least, 212 area code), and along with it I ordered a replacement bezel (the plastic face of the watch) since mine was cracked. The o-rings were $1.50 each, and the bezel was $8. Two o-rings, one bezel and shipping later, I had spent only $15 and the watch is good as new (although I want a spiffy new band so I have to check Sears for that).