1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fun EDC stories...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Ted Andkilde, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

I'll start.

My chiropractor of many years is a wonderful caring person who takes a strong interest in the "total health" of her patients, I consistently disappoint her with my life choices :).

Anyhow, as I was emptying my pockets the other day before my weekly beating, she commented on my bic lighter. I assured her that I had not taken up smoking, she pressed me on it, I responded with "Hey, every once in a while you just need to light something on fire" which seemed like a perfectly rational explanation to me, but left her apoplectic, and the longer she couldn't speak the funnier it became, until we were both laughing loud enough a tech popped in see what all the noise was.

Your turn...

Last edited by Ted Andkilde, Jan 31, 2014
  2. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I go to my chiropractor, I unload the same way. His second question, after "how are you?", is "have you gotten to go shooting lately?" while I leave my Kimber on the table. :) Then he shows me his great memory as he picks up the conversation where we left it off...sometimes a year ago.

Thats not funny, but he is:D Funny man.

3. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Anyone EDC a teddy bear? Seriously, for about a year I was the proud owner of a Mitsubishi FTO gpx (it's a car for those unsure) that was a real fun ride, fast and maneuverable (had it up to just shy of 140mph one day but I digress). Anyway, the car came with its own resident teddy bear wearing an "I heart Mitsubishi" shirt. For some reason I always forgot to remove it from the car and it always used get commented on. I think it might have been instrumental in securing one or two dates as well. As it happens, one of those dates, an nice Asian girl who thought teddy was cute, was getting in the car when she noticed that on the sill were the letters "FTO" in large exciting script. She pointed to the drivers side and asked me what it meant. Being a somewhat whimsical person I told her it meant "For The Owner", to which she added "what about the same letters on the passenger side?" To this day I do not know what prompted me to reply "On that side it stands for Foreign Tarts Only". Never saw her after that night... funny that.

Anyway, not exactly gear related but I did EDC a teddy bear for a year! :rolleyes:

4. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Loaded Pockets

^ Sacrificing a shot at love for the sake of a good joke... Priceless!

deeker, bjshep, C.Boland93 and 4 others like this.
  5. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

Had to take a drawing class as an elective for my ME degree. I was setting up a 1'x1' square of cardboard with things that described me. I had a bobber, a Vic Tinker, a hot wheels car, my ti spork, and my motorcycle key all taped/ tied to the cardboard. I had the SAK open and the blade was slid into the first layer of cardboard. As i was putting up one day the teacher asks to see my knife before i got it in my pocket. It's a campus legal knife, but i was still kind of worried. So she starts opening all of the tools at the same time and i told her, "please be careful, i keep my knives very sharp" and she gives me a speech about how she looks like a hipster art teacher but was raised in the south... and promptly cuts herself. She didnt even realize it until the kid next to me saw the blood running down her hand and puked all over his bench. I gave her neosporin and a band aid out of my bag. She asks if i'm a boy scout and i show her the eagle on the knife she just cut herself with and she got real quiet. No idea why i got a C in that class....

Mr. Martines, dork, neon and 10 others like this.
  6. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

Was at a hockey game ( local semi pro team ) with friends last fall and was getting the usual ribbing about my "murse" which was sitting on my lap because not a chance I would put it on the floor in that dung heap!...... Oops I digress ....
    Anyway some one asked the usual " what's in the bag" and my buddy says " everything" so before I know it the entire section is playing the old game show game of do you have.

SCREW DRIVER?
    Don't waste my time -3 with keys

LIGHTER?
    boring- bic and steel

ZIP TIES?
    who doesn't -6

TAPE MEASURE?
    Stanley mini 6 ft

BETCA A BEER YOU DONT HAVE A TAMPON!

Sorry chuckles 1 and a pad? Daughters "famine kit"

:censored: good beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I know this will be funny down the road when I'm living with my second wife, but I just managed to nicely slash open the down duvet and cover on our bed while trying to thread paracord into the stupid little cord holder on the Sebenza. Wonder if she'll get the knife in the settlement?

8. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I remember Halloween 10 years ago when I went with Echo2 to his brother-in-laws house to go Trick or Treating with the kids...
    Echo2's wife was laughing at us saying the men had a better time than the kids walking around the neighborhood playing tag with our
    flashlights.

9. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Commitment at the highest level, props to you @DavyJ :)

Cheers, Ted

10. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

A long time ago I decided that my multitool / SAK can't be in my waistbag but it needs to be in my pocket and this was the reason behind it:

It was a typical morning... I woke up, took a shower, drunk my coffee and walked to my motorcycle in order to go to work. Last night's rain somehow managed to enter somewhere where it shouldn't and my motorcycle couldn't start. After trying and trying, the battery died, so I pushed the motorcycle 50 meters down the road where my tires guy has his shop (he also sell batteries and has all the relevant equipment)... I told him what happened and he started walking inside to get a screwdriver so he can remove the plastics and reach the battery... I stopped him, opened my luggage box, opened my waistbag which was in it, proudly pulled my Juice XE6, unscrewed the screws, removed the plastics, e.t.c. He was impressed with my preparedness! :D ...and asked me for my keys to place them at the ignition. So, I put back the Juice, locked the luggage box (so if the bike started, I won't need to turn off the bike just to lock the luggage box, I could just ride it and leave) and placed the keys to the ignition.

After "some magic" and with the help of a second battery, the bike started happily, we removed the second battery and left it running for a few minutes just to make sure it won't stop 1km away from help. Great! I had a 12km ride to the office to recharge the battery. So, we just needed to put the plastics on and I was good to go... I looked at the plastics, I looked at the screws, I looked at the locked luggage box (with my Juice in it), I looked at the keys on the ignition (which I wouldn't remove for any reason before reaching office) and then I looked at my tires guy embarrassed... He looked at me smiling and said: OK, I'm gonna get that screwdriver now :D

Lesson learned! MT/SAK is now always in pocket and bike keys / luggage box keys are connected via a quick split connector. :p

Last edited by Aleister, Feb 2, 2014
  11. happykal

happykal Loaded Pockets

I got 2 good story's. Chiropractor seems to be a popular theme...sore back from carry too much edc I guess. Any way today at my chiropractor he tryin to adjust me and keeps telling me that I'm too tense. I say hold on and pull my kershaw out of one pocket and my protac 2l out of the other and handed them to him. He's seen me unload my pockets before and never really payed any attention. Well today he decided to look at the blade on the kershaw RJI. He tried to open it slowly but it's assisted. He just looks over at me. "Why do you carry this? To open your mail or what?"

"To cut or open things. Besides those are some pretty aggressive envelopes."

"Why don't you carry a small Swiss Army knife rather then this thing."

"Oh I do it's in my coat pocket."

He just shook his head.

The other story could have been bad but I thought it was funny. At my work there's random searches when you go through security to exit the building. I got the red buzz light and had to empty my pockets. I switched coats before coming to work because my other coat was dirty. Transferred my gear over to the clean coat and didn't check the pockets before wearing it. I ended up with 4 knives, a LM charge, keys, lip balm, three twelve gauge shells and a flash light In the dish before they wanded me. Thank fully I live I a small community full of hunters or else the shells mite look suspicious. I was nervousness and a little embarrassed by my small arsenal. The guard just laughed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironside and CootShooter like this.
  12. Ben Berenfield

Ben Berenfield Loaded Pockets

Well my story is a wee bit embarrassing. I'm in college and new to this EDC forum but I absolutely love it. Anyways, I generally edc much more loosely in college. I'm a big guy at 6'4'' and 250lbs and I do college Track & Field (field events) so I generally am not too worried while at college. Sometimes I carry a CRKT williams tactical pen, usually a SAK Cadet though but for when I'm leaving campus I carry something bigger, maybe a Spyderco Tenacious or a CRKT Ripple. Well I had left campus to go eat with some friends and made it back for my evening Criminal Justice Class. It's mainly CTE students meaning they're much older, and I'm the youngest guy there. Our teacher is this pompous little :censored: that acts like he is better and brighter than everyone. He is ex-marine which I totally respect, but what I can't respect is his treatment of fellow human beings. Well I was late to class and of course he called me out on it. "Big Ben...ben ben ben. Again? Really? Typical college kid. Off drinking or smoking the ganja?" Everyone snickered, glad they weren't the target of some seriously dry humor. I'm pretty easy going so I smiled and said something like "you know, gotta get my next hit" and mimed drunkenness while I made my way to my seat. He told me to come up to the front of the room and said "kids these days. So easy and loose and never prepared for anything in the real world. It makes me sad how foolish y'all are." This offended me slightly so I proceeded to empty my pockets on his lectern. G Shock, Spacepen, Streamlight, and a Tenacious put a funny expression on his face. He kinda eyed me up and down and said I had permission to stay in his class. To this day I am the butt of his jokes in class, but I don't mind. I always zing him back, and he showed me his little "collection" after class once. That cranky little old man is serious! Multiple Sebenzas, a few high end knives I'd never seen and a few he MADE using the campus welding facilities. So cool. It isn't a great story but hey, EDC-ing is invaluable. The knife provides a lot of personal security and helps with daily tasks and the girlfriend really appreciates the flashlight when it's late at night and time to head home!
    There's my two little pennies for now

Quantum, Firemission, Roger and 2 others like this.
  13. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I was explaining to my soon to be sister in law that not all flashlights come from the checkout lane at your local inconvenience store. I tried to explain to her that when your life relies on a good flashlight you take them seriously and do your research. I also happen to mention The candle power forum. She laughed for a few minutes...I DIDNT!!

SAKplumber and Aleister like this.
  14. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

Many years ago I, also, laughed when I first hit on CPF while searching for (one) flashlight (you know, just so I have a flashlight in my home :D ). After laughing with all the "crazies out there", I ordered my first two, then I read a hundred articles, then I ordered another ten, then I found fonarevka, wikilight and fonarik, then I ordered twenty more, then I found BLF, then I ordered fifty more plus a Lux meter, a soldering iron, drivers, leds, and a hundred batteries, then... I realized that I became one of the crazies... :D

Years passed... Now for every five flashlights I gift, I order just one, but I know exactly why I need that one :D

Roger and Djs105 like this.
  15. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

My friends I hang out with everyday know I'm into gear and EDC and obsess over it. (heck, I even gave them some old gear)
    They always joke about my stuff and we have some inside jokes, one of which is "this is my EDC ____ (random object Ex. person, potato, car, bustop, etc.)"
    They also know not to touch the EDCF Spyderco Native 5. My precioussss.
    Awhile back, I got this folding bike from a relative and I cleaned it up and fixed it a lil bit.
    They were lookin at it and one of them points to the little combination wrench on the back of the bike and jokingly says "hey, it comes with a peter atwood."

Also, at one point last year, I was carrying a Mantis Vuja De balisong karambit for about a week (I had lost my knife and it was the best replacement I had. Now it is a good knife, I love balisongs and karambits and this knife combines the two. It is a funny little knife, I will admit. Anyways, I needed to cut a huge sheet of cardboard at work, so with a quick flip, out comes the Vuja De. One of my co workers, who was an older guy, says "dang, that was like one of them switchblades" and starts laughin. I just started laughin, too. I don't know why it was funny, but it was. Kinda glad I don't EDC that knife, anymore. It definitely has some "scary" factor if you don't know knives.

SAKplumber likes this.
  16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I still remember giving my dad his first edc knife (kershaw cryo) to use mainly for work. He was so impressed with it and loved the assisted opening that he pulled it out right in front of my mom taunting her and pretended to rob her. Lol

17. dictatortot
    • In Omnia Paratus

dictatortot Loaded Pockets

Wasn't sure where to put this story. The short of it is I really needed two tools this past weekend but didn't have them on me. What a frustrating feeling!

First situation I was drinking some beers with my parents. We were sitting out in the woods behind their house, and we had the foresight to bring extra beers with us. However not a bottle opener to pop open round number two. Knocking the bottle caps off on a stump wasn't working either. This was frustrating because I almost always have a SAK on me. Not that day, though.

Later that weekend I was in Vermont at an outdoor gun club shooting with my Grandfather in Law. We were warming up with a .30-30 with the old pinhole aperture sight, then we switched to a scoped
    .300 Weatherby. After seeing the scope was off, we were trying to zero it in and needed a pair of pliers. This time I had my SAK but no pliers. Very frustrating!

Today I went and looked at multi tools to possibly replace my Super Tinker. The larger Leathermans felt very solid, but too large and heavy for what I need. The tools on the smaller Leathermans felt flimsy despite the overall size of the unit being perfect for a pocket. I ultimately picked up a Victorinox Spirit with the serrated blade and scissors. I feel like the serrated blade will be a nice compliment to the the small Insingo I'm currently carrying. It's also nice to have an actual 3-d Phillips screwdriver in my pocket!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my white collar weekdays/amateur handyman weekends, I'm thinking this might be a bit overkill. Still, I'll try it out for a few days and see if I can't decide on a good means of carry for the Spirit.

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

[quote="dictatortot, post: 1931237, member: 54249".. Still, I'll try it out for a few days and see if I can't decide on a good means of carry for the Spirit.[/quote]
    Its not too big for pocket carry. A Skinth is even better. MumboJumboo just bought one in the BST that was fitted with the ClipDraw:)

19. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I was working on a construction site back in my early 20's as a foreman on a fire alarm installation crew. I had a guy on my crew who religiously sat in the Porta-Pot for an hour after his hour long lunch. So for two hours he was cutting out of helping anyone else (everyone else took a 15 minute break for lunch so we could leave early). We were all getting tired of it and I decided that we needed to resolve this situation. Now, this was no ordinary Porta-Pot.. it was one that you were able to lift up to different floors, so it was very solid and had a giant ring at the top to attach a crane to. It wasn't uncommon to see the crane attached to it, so this guy goes in one day after lunch without noticing. I walked over, hooked a chain around the body of the Porta-Pot and used my EDC keyring (a large climbing carabiner) to "lock" the chain in place. At this point he realized something was up and started trying to get out. I then attached the "drag" line cable to the chain around the door and we proceeded to lift the Porta-Pot up, then Horizontal. We let him out after a few minutes and I gave him the Baby Wipes I kept in my bag to clean up. I also donated a clean shirt to him. Needless to say, he never took a :censored: on company time again.

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I heard people do similar things with mobile chemical toilets when drunk at open air rock festivals. Even some “domino” with multiple in a row. Good thing I’ve never been at one. ;)

FenixArcher likes this.