1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Full Size EDC versus Miniaturized EDC...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by dmattaponi, Nov 20, 2020.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I’ve been working remotely since this whole pandemic thing started. Prior to this I’ve always carried a pretty standardized set of EDC items (91mm SAK, AA flashlight, etc.). While working from home I’ve slowly transitioned to a more miniature sized (58mm SAK, AAA flashlight or smaller, etc.). It’s given me time to realistically work through one of the things I’ve read on the forums so many times through the years...that being, that a smaller sized set of EDC items will generally do everything the average EDCer need done on a daily basis. Well, having now tried it for a while, I wouldn’t argue against the basic premise BUT, I’ve also found that a more “standard” sized EDC makes things easier, works generally better, and more powerfully and reliably. A full sized SAK allows for more tasks to be completed, handles better in the hand, is more efficient, and accomplishes a task with more ease. The AA flashlight is generally more powerful, but more importantly is easier to hold on to, runs significantly longer in use (which makes it the more reliable choice). So although I like the tiny tools, when it comes down to it I find my regular sized edc items to be significantly more useful, than “making do” with the smaller ones. Not to mention these “larger” sized items are still plenty small enough to be easily carried in a pocket.

Why post this? I’m just putting it out there as “food for thought” for any newcomers who might be here researching and looking into edc, to contrast with some of the other things they may read around here. Both points of view are valid, just differing in their approach.

Feel free to contribute your own thoughts, whether you agree or disagree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#1 dmattaponi, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    AlgoOPC, FiaOlleDog, jcombs and 3 others like this.
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I agree, especially when talking about on-body, immediate access gear. I work in an office and typically wear dress pants and button up shirts (occasionally a tie). Flashlight and knife clips just don’t fit with that attire, so my day to day on-body carry is a Vic Classic and an Olight I3E. It’s a compromise, but to be honest those 2 items are more than adequate for office tasks - opening a package, searching for something that’s rolled under a desk, etc.

On my own time, I still carry a small SAK and a AAA light, but only as backups. Primary carry is a full size folder and larger light (usually an older Quark AA). I prefer using the full size gear, even if the smaller tools would be sufficient. As you stated, the larger tools are more comfortable to use and typically have added capabilities.

All of this is personal preference. I’m glad to have access to good quality minimalist gear when needed, but will continue to carry full size gear as often as I’m able.

3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

You just can't beat full size or dedicated tools at the end of the day but if you can't have those then the smaller options are better than having nothing I say, they may just get you out of a jam.

AlgoOPC, MatBlack, FiaOlleDog and 3 others like this.
  4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Agree. I have a SAK Rambler and Jetbeam Mini One flashlight on my keychain. The pair is plenty capable for many tasks. But the larger tools are just more versatile and comfortable to use.

So usually a 91/93mm SAK, Spirit or Wave are in a pocket organizer with an HDS flashlight for normal edc with the keychain pair as back-up or when circumstances prevent.

AlgoOPC, twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I’ve been getting buy over the last few months with a 58mm SAK and AAA flashlight. As it’s getting darker I might up the flashlight, and probably - by default really - up to a bigger SAK.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

What are you thinking on the flashlight front? What size battery is too big for EDC purposes would you say? I have a couple of 18650's torches that I like but I'd say that they are too big?? So I've stuck with AA size that can also run on 3.7 volt 14500 battery, that's the best of both worlds I feel.

7. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

If I’m only carrying it because I “might” use, Ive a couple of AA thrunites or a olight s10 (just regular AA amazon rechargeable) which is enough and doesn’t fill up a pocket already full of other “new” stuff like a mask and antibacterial gel. The difference between a AAA and AA is quite big in my view.

If I’m going to use a flashlight I’ll dig out an 18650.

earthman, dmattaponi and twin63 like this.
  8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I would agree with you on AA/14500 light being the best of both worlds and a great edc option. They are bright enough for most task (especially if they have the 14500 boost) and still easily pocketable, all while having an easy to find battery.

dmattaponi likes this.
  9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

For me nothing has changed too much so nothing has changed to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  10. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

It's pretty amazing how many lumens these sorts of lights can put out, even just for a short time before stepping down. I'm still impressed with my old Olight S15R for example, throws way more than I expected, helped to find a lady's dog in my local park last year, obviously it's not intended to be a flood light etc but it got the job done after some scanning around.
    That's the thing about any EDC item isn't it, chances are that's what you will have to use at the time in need.

dmattaponi, twin63 and SOS24 like this.
  11. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I agree with small tools are more EDC'able while (slightly) larger tools are often more powerful and reliable.

I also carry a SAK Manager and a ThruNite Ti3 on my keychain - and it get's used several times per day.

Hence upgrading to a SAK Hunter and a Lumintop Tool AA (with 14500 battery) provides more capabilities in terms of lumen and number of tools-at-hand.

Looks like I will mix-and-match by swapping the Ti3 for the Tool AA (and yes, I do feel the different in my right front pocket in terms of flashlight size and weight) but keeping the SAK Manager. This may seem odd and not compliant with the level-discipline in terms of tools sizes, but YMVV.

#11 FiaOlleDog, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    dmattaponi likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Boy I must have some lazy "Level Discipline" in my EDC these days.

I just carry what works the best and lasts the longest that I can live with having in/on my pockets.

And carrying more than 1 of what I use the most.

FiaOlleDog and dmattaponi like this.
  13. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

My EDC stuff has gone the same way as my pocket knives and guns. Small as I can get by with. Over the years I've been downsizing constantly and cutting way back on the ridiculous amount of stuff carried. My pocket knife has been a keychain size thing like a SAK classic or executive, or a Christy knife, and in the past ten years I got by very well. This in spite many cross country trips by car, camping at most the national parks. My fire source is a mini Bic lighter, and my tools are a Leatherman squirt. If I need a can opener, my old army P-38 is in my wallet. On my keyring is my Fenix E01, and its lit up the insides of tents in Yellowstone, Mesa Verde, Grand Canyon, Bryce, and others. Its found stuff dropped under a car seat, and its my walk the dog t night lite. Small enough that its always on my.

I used to subscribe to the 'two is one and one is none" nonsense, but then it was like coin gout of a form or temporary insanity when I looked around one day at all the crap that has accumulated in my life, and I got rid of most of it. Now, it it doesn't fit comfortable in my pocket, I don't cary it. I finally woke up to the fact that I'm not the caped crusader saving Gotham, I'm not any hollywood hero fighting off enemy paratroopers. I'm just a retired machinist that goes fishing a lot.

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been stuck in the dark too much to only carry 1 light.

Nick4305 likes this.
  15. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Full-size - Explorer Plus and AA flashlight. Easy to keep hold of and still easy on the pockets. More powerful, better runtimes, better tools.
    [​IMG]
    Minimalist - Minichamp and AAA flashlight...not as handy, not as powerful, much less runtime. Tools won’t handle the jobs that an Explorer will...screwdriver as an example. They’re still very nice to have around, but if I were to choose one or the other, it would be the pic above.
    [​IMG]

The Squirt remains the same in either case because it is a great balance of very small, and yet still easy to handle.

The pen looks small, but opens up to full-size and is much easier to write with (if you have some writing to do beyond a signature) than some tiny, thin pen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#15 dmattaponi, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020