1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Frugal Alternative to Mcgizmo clips?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by stickydoorknob, Sep 12, 2012.

1. stickydoorknob

stickydoorknob Loaded Pockets

My EDC had always missing small keychain clips to easily detach my tools when it is needed, but I never made a upgrade because the prices on those Mcgizmo clips are outrageous, pricing around $3-$6 a piece, which really adds up when purchasing multiple amounts. Does anyone know of any keychain clips that are just as reliable, but more reasonably priced than those offered by Mcgizmo?

2. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

TEC accessories does!!! I love these clips. I haven't had any problems with them.

I have two tools using these clips. Haven't had anything drop *knocks on wood*.
    [​IMG]

3. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

Google Miniature Snap Swivel Hook or Lobster claw.

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

KAMM nailed it!

The Icing On The CAKE: the owner of TEC accessories is an EDCF member & Supporter; he goes by TECENG here. A Scholar, and a gentleman.

Have used these since I found out about 'em. Have given away maybe 50. No complaints & no failures!

odg, jag-engr, e2dwml and 2 others like this.
  5. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks. Been looking for those.

KAMM likes this.
  6. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Loaded Pockets

I've got a bunch of McGizmos but agree that the ones from TEC Accessories are great also. I've got 10 chrome and 10 black and have never had any failures with them either, which I can't say about the McGizmos as I've had one or two of their springs pop out on me in the past.

I also second what's been said about Tom at TEC Accessories. I've had nothing but stellar service from him in the past. I own a couple P7 clips (including one that Tom replaced after I lost one), the the 20 clips I mentioned above as well as the PicoPen.

7. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Do you have a big5 sporting goods store nearby?
    They now sell Nite Ize miniature s-biners in a package or something like that.

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have some of those from Tom, I just got to find the time to get them on the store. He provides me with really cool stuff.

Remember both Tom and McGizmo help keep this place going but selling me stuff. Tom goes the extra mile over and over again by doing other things as well.

Gnarly likes this.
  9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The forum sells McGizmo Clips but they are not $6.00

10. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I've bought 1 or 2 with my last few orders from the Fourm Store. Now I have several extras in different sizes.

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Last edited by tower, Sep 18, 2012
    snafu9 and uneekwahn like this.
  12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

What is this black you speak of?

Why am I the last to find out TEC has black ones?

Obviously, I didn't get the memo.

[​IMG]

13. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

Hmmmm, we don't have black ones. Perhaps he means he got similar ones from another source in black.

14. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Frankly, this somehow disquiets me.

mooshisho and TECENG like this.
  15. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Slightly off-topic, tried searching but no luck. Anyone that has both the TEC clip and a McGizmo (20mm if lucky) mind snapping a pic of them side by side for comparison?

Only have experience with the 20mm McGizmo cause it shipped with my TEC Ti glowfob. It was a useful lil thing, so easy to remove my flashlight and loan it to my brother. He promptly lost the light and the clip that was hangin out with it! :( Going to search the yard but will want more clips even if I do find the light.

I'm trying to think of it as a nice excuse to get another Maratac AAA in copper. And NOT loan it out to anyone. :p

16. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

I tried a few sizes of their s-biners on my keychain last year. Unfortunately I had multiple instances in a week where they became unengaged in my pocket, which is obviously a critical failure for a keychain retention device. I was disappointed since I really liked the look and design.

Meanwhile, the McGizmo clips I've been using for ... six? years now are still going strong with only, I think, one time in which one came off in my pocket, and not one failure of a gate itself. Got a dozen of them with some bead blasted in a group buy from Berkeley Point on CPF long ago. They're currently securing my Ladybug Salt, Fenix LD01, and Schrade Ti tool. They're invaluable for quick deployment, and a nice bit of keychain bling to boot. Plus the clip on the LD01 makes it easy to transfer it to a neck lanyard for when I want a flashlight handy but not keys (camping, hotel room, etc)

Speaking for myself, If I somehow lost mine I wouldn't think anything of dropping $20 to get a new supply. I really can't think of anything else I've spent so little on and used for so long without failure on a daily basis.

17. NaturalMystic

NaturalMystic Loaded Pockets

My mistake, I got the black ones from PhotonLight. Sorry for the mix up!

Anthologics likes this.
  18. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

A super frugal alternative is to head to wal-mart or any big box store...for around 2-3 dollars you can find the clips EvilPerson recommended on either curly bracelet keychains or lanyard keychains. I buy those, toss out the curly bracelet or lanyard and keep the clip.

Mwing likes this.
  19. GEAUXBIG

GEAUXBIG Loaded Pockets

Going to make a trip to Wal-Mart and check those out.Thanks for the tip! I will still order 7 or 8 of the 20mm McGizmo clips but the ones at Wally World will make for some good cheap extras!

20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Another vote for the TEC Accessory Clips!

Maybe I have clunky, uncoordinated fingers, but I find the rounder TEC clips much easier to operate than the MM clips.

Anthologics likes this.