1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Front Pocket Organizer

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by MedusaOblongata, Jan 23, 2013.

1. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Made from Velcro, elastic, and leather, shaped to fit my left front pocket.
    The backing is made of two sheets of velcro stuck together, so I can sandwich spare keys, or anything else that's flat, in between them.
    Pockets of thin leather shaped to fit pens, Preon1 (or 2xAAA flashlight), chapstick, and money clip.
    Elastic pockets to hold spare batteries and mini-bic, or whatever else instead.
    [​IMG]

jag-engr and Cornholio2188 like this.
  2. abyssal79

abyssal79 Loaded Pockets

I just got an old leather coat from Value Village for $10 for a similar project. I've disassembled the coat (took 2 hours to get rid of all the thread!) and am finalizing the design. My current fabric version is wearing through, lasted about 8 months.

Any tips for what to pay attention to when working with leather? It'll be my first leatherworking project.

3. MedusaOblongata

Unless the leather's really thin, most sewing machines will have trouble with it.
    If sewing by hand, use very thick needles so they don't break, and a good thimble or needle nose pliers to push it through.
    Leather doesn't stretch as much as most fabric does, so make sure you size it right so the pockets aren't too small.
    Holes in leather don't disappear like they do in fabric (as you see in your destitched jacket), so make sure the holes are in the right place before you sew or poke them.
    If you fold over the top edges of the leather for a more finished edge, which isn't strictly necessary since leather doesn't fray as fabric does, it will add a considerable amount of bulk.
    Since leather isn't stretchy like elastic or some fabric is, you could have retention issues if you don't want your items to fall out when you turn the pouch upside down. If I turn my pouch upside down, everything falls out.
    If you want the leather pocket shaped to fit a specific item, you can get the leather wet in hot water, then stretch and press it around the item, for a molded pocket (as gun holsters and kydex sheaths are made), but then you won't be able to replace the item with one of a similar size. My pouches above were specifically made generic enough to hold other items instead.

jag-engr likes this.
  4. abyssal79

abyssal79 Loaded Pockets

Whipped this up in the past couple hours, first prototype. Link

5. Kuscoot

Kuscoot Loaded Pockets

Wow! NICE job!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

6. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

nice one.

can you easily remove the items out of their holster? (one handedly and still keep the others "hidden" inside the pocket?)

does it just hang inside the pocket or is there some way of attachment so it cant be pulled out easily (or dropped by accident)

got additional pictures of the velcro part?

7. MedusaOblongata

I can remove the top 5 items easily, and replace them, without removing the holster from my pocket.
    Since it fits the shape and size of a pocket so closely, there's no way it could come out on its own or accidentally.
    I'll see if I can get some more pictures when I get home from work tonight.

8. MedusaOblongata

So the leather and elastic are just sewn onto the backside of a sheet of loop velcro. Then there is a piece of hook velcro, the exact same shape and size, that sticks to it, so I can sandwich flat items like spare keys and folded bills between them.
    Here are the two pieces apart:
    [​IMG]

And here it is put together:
    [​IMG]

jag-engr likes this.
  9. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

ahaa. clever. thanks for the explanation.