1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Friends and admirers of the 380ACP

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by juanitovet, Dec 24, 2012.

1. juanitovet

juanitovet Loaded Pockets

Good afternoon!!! I am awaiting the arrival of my Lunada from USA and to complete the team want to buy another gun. I am a fanatical devotee of the 45ACP, but am aware that my Glock 21 is not a weapon that is said "discreet". In addition to this, I have three other guns (which already go up photos) a Jericho 941, an Bersa. 22LR and a national copy of the legendary Ruger Mark 1, also called Saurio 500. 22LR. The idea is to buy a gun to bear discreetly in the front pocket of the Lunada and on occasion in a hidden waist. The question I have is the caliber, since in these small arms large gauges tend to do little controllable, in addition to removing capacity. This consultation addressed to fellow commentators who carry guns.380 ACP, since it is the gauge that I have in mind that with the right ammunition has nothing to envy to the 9 mm. in that stopping power refers. Another advantage is the storage capacity of ammunition with a very small size. My first choice is a Bersa Thunder 380, because, as I said, I have another gun of the same brand and I think they are very reliable. Ideally I'd like to get used one of the first models to be steel and would allow me to shoot safer ammo + P or + P +, than in this caliber would much increase the stopping power. I would love to be able to buy a Glock 26, but if my life is priceless, my pocket if. Also do not think that the 10 + 1 and 2 more in the magazine extension are an argument much more stronger than the 15 + 1 of the Bersa. I am open to suggestions and recommendations. A big hug Juan

2. armedtetrapod

armedtetrapod Loaded Pockets

380 is incredibly expensive and less reliable even in the best quality of gun because of the short cartridge. Add this to the lack of stopping power, and it appears to be a terrible option. 9mm has increased ballistic capabilities with a minimal increase in size. Could you clarify your typo: "I would love to be able to buy a Glock 26, but if my life is priceless, my pocket if"

3. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

Ruger LC9 is not much bigger the the Ruger LCP which shoots 380 ammo. For virtually the same size, you can have all the advantage of 9mm

4. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I thought Argentina didn't allow 9mm (or other military calibers) for civilian use - in fact there are Glocks in .380 for certain South American.

5. thatguy

thatguy Loaded Pockets

In 380 I have and like the Sig 230/232... I am using the Gold Dots which get good reviews.. BUT the new Barnes solid copper also get good reviews and seem to stay together and expand as designed...

Brian

6. juanitovet

juanitovet Loaded Pockets

Sorry for the delay in responding. With regard to the. 380ACP, I am aware that is a "marginal" caliber, but I understand that in the hands of someone trained, with the proper ammunition and 15 bullets in the charger, you can impose respect. Anyway the advice that I was given with respect to a 9 para. am evaluating for. As I said before, I have a Jericho 9 mm and the caliber I really like. With respect to the Glock is that quality is unquestionable, in fact (as said above) I have a 21, but it seems to me that the Bersa 9 mm option, not a bad idea or has much to envy. Thank you very much for your advice and I hope to continue to receive them. A strong hug. Juan

7. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I consider the .380 to be the minimum self defense caliber, though certainly a capable one. However I would only choose it in very small format pistols. Pistols like the P3AT or the LCP are great for pocket or very deep carry. Their downfall is small capacity and the round itself. For just a slight step up in size, the size of a Bersa Thunder, you can have a 9mm in the form of an LC9 and many others. All else being equal, I'd go with a 9mm but that's just me.

8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Nothing wrong with a .380 ACP. If I was in your shoes and I could swing it, I'd go for the Glock 28. Unfortunately, in the US this model is unavailable to civilians for some reason.

9. sotto2

sotto2 Loaded Pockets

I have a somewhat interesting .380 story. Several years ago now I was shooting my Rossi 88 snubnose .38 spl revolver with wadcutter ammo and also my AMT .380 Backup using Winchester HP Silvertips. I was shooting at a moderately thick plate of corregated sheet metal. The .38 spl wadcutter rounds would dent the metal but not penetrate it. The .380 HP ammo blew right on through at the same exact distance from the plate. That taught me a very valuable lesson about the relative penetrating power of those two cartridges.

10. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

.380 ammo has improved quite a bit in the past few years, you can get some fairly "hot" loads for them now. I have a Colt Mustang in .380 and it's a nice little gun. It's not my first choice of course, but a small "mouse" gun in deep concealment beats no gun any day of the week.

11. Cokeman

Cokeman Loaded Pockets

What exactly is a wadcutter?

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

The bullet is literally a cylinder. They punch a clean hole in whatever you shoot. I carry hard cast 150gr. wadcutters from Buffalo Bore in my .38 Spl. I've literally split an oak bowling pin in half with one round. A lot of match grade rounds were made from wadcutters and semi-wadcutters. See the link below.

See here.

13. Cokeman

Cokeman Loaded Pockets

What's their purpose? Same as a shotgun slug?

14. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

They punch a very neat, clean hole in paper, good for target shooting.

15. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

To quote the fine people at Buffalo Bore, "It cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter", full diameter hole in human flesh just like it does on a paper target. It penetrates deeply (roughly 14 to 16 inches in human tissue) and its full diameter profile maximizes blood loss as it cuts and crushes (not slips or slides) its way through tissue."

16. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

meh

17. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

You don't have to like it, but he's right.

armedtetrapod likes this.
  18. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

ok.