1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Free Stop the Bleed Training

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by volvoboy, Nov 23, 2017.

1. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I posted this information in a reply to another post in the forum but thought I’d post it as a freestanding item. I am going to a “Stop the Bleed” program at one of my local libraries next week. It is part of a national effort by the American College of Surgeons and others to provide this training. It’s free and sponsored by our regional EMS Council. I’ll report back after it’s over.

Here is a link to find this program offered near you: http://www.stopthebleedtraining.org/

2. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I went to the Stop the Bleed program. Lasted 2 hours. About an hour of lecture on bleeding control. Then we broke into three groups and rotated through 3 stations. In one station we each put a CAT tourniquet on ourselves and on a partner. At the second station there was a wound simulator and we had the opportunity to pack a wound and apply an Israeli bandage and an Oleas bandage. The third station was a look at one of the host EMS agencies’ ambulances and their mass trauma response kits (each has 40 CAT tourniquets, 40 Israeli bandages, chest seals and 200 pairs of gloves).

So, although some of the lecture information will be old hat to many on the forum, it was good information. The opportunity to use a tourniquet on myself and a partner was worth it (I have CATs but have never actually applied one) and doing the wound packing was neat.

They also had bleeding control kits for sale as a public service (plus they made a couple bucks on each to support the program).

If you get a chance to go to one of these programs in your area I’d encourage your attendance.

HardToHandle and kensington like this.
  3. Kevin Walker

Kevin Walker Empty Pockets

I attended one of these in October and we only got to apply CAT and SWAT-T tourniquets, along with some wound packing with rolled gauze. I wish we had the opportunity to use Israeli bandages and the Olaes ones. I've been thinking about adding the Olaes flat packed bandages to my kit. Would have been great to try before I buy. They're not expensive, but still.

Anyways, I'd say take one of these classes. They're free. Why not?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think I spent three months skipping over the Stop the Bleed promotional Goruck did every time I pulled up a YouTube video. I watched it once, skipped it perhaps 200 more times.