1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Free Stop the Bleed Training

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by volvoboy, Nov 23, 2017.

1. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I posted this information in a reply to another post in the forum but thought I’d post it as a freestanding item. I am going to a “Stop the Bleed” program at one of my local libraries next week. It is part of a national effort by the American College of Surgeons and others to provide this training. It’s free and sponsored by our regional EMS Council. I’ll report back after it’s over.

Here is a link to find this program offered near you: http://www.stopthebleedtraining.org/

2. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

I went to the Stop the Bleed program. Lasted 2 hours. About an hour of lecture on bleeding control. Then we broke into three groups and rotated through 3 stations. In one station we each put a CAT tourniquet on ourselves and on a partner. At the second station there was a wound simulator and we had the opportunity to pack a wound and apply an Israeli bandage and an Oleas bandage. The third station was a look at one of the host EMS agencies’ ambulances and their mass trauma response kits (each has 40 CAT tourniquets, 40 Israeli bandages, chest seals and 200 pairs of gloves).

So, although some of the lecture information will be old hat to many on the forum, it was good information. The opportunity to use a tourniquet on myself and a partner was worth it (I have CATs but have never actually applied one) and doing the wound packing was neat.

They also had bleeding control kits for sale as a public service (plus they made a couple bucks on each to support the program).

If you get a chance to go to one of these programs in your area I’d encourage your attendance.

HardToHandle and kensington like this.
  3. Kevin Walker

Kevin Walker Empty Pockets

I attended one of these in October and we only got to apply CAT and SWAT-T tourniquets, along with some wound packing with rolled gauze. I wish we had the opportunity to use Israeli bandages and the Olaes ones. I've been thinking about adding the Olaes flat packed bandages to my kit. Would have been great to try before I buy. They're not expensive, but still.

Anyways, I'd say take one of these classes. They're free. Why not?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I think I spent three months skipping over the Stop the Bleed promotional Goruck did every time I pulled up a YouTube video. I watched it once, skipped it perhaps 200 more times.

5. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I was fortunate enough to meet Dr. Alex Eastman at an ALERRT conference that I attended a couple of months ago. He is the creator of the Stop the Bleed Campaign as well as a SWAT physician for the Dallas Police Department. Making this training as common as CPR is critical in reducing the fatality rate in hostile mass casualty incidents. Good on you for attending the training!

volvoboy likes this.
  6. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Is there an updated link?

7. ArkansasFan30

You think in ten years we'll find tourniquets mounted like AEDs?

volvoboy likes this.
  8. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

Yes--its happening now. Just flew back through the Charlotte airport and they have added bleeding control kits to their AED cabinets. Wish I'd have taken a photo. The medical retailers (Rescue Essentials, etc) are selling the adaptor kits and cabinets now. It's a pretty neat idea.

9. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

Here is the updated link for courses: https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/class/search I have noticed that this is not a comprehensive list, and many localities are sponsoring local courses so it may be good to do a google search for your local area for stop the bleed courses.

10. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Thank you! I keep seeing Facebook or news reports about classes that just happened, but cannot seem to get info about upcoming classes. I'll keep trying!

11. TakeDeadAim

TakeDeadAim Empty Pockets

I hope the disposition of bleeding control kits does not come before training. It will be like handing out Narcan to anyone with a pulse, now we have parents giving their kids the "miracle drug" and tucking them in, only to find them dead in the morning because the Narcan wore off before the opiod.

12. TakeDeadAim

TakeDeadAim Empty Pockets

Who sold or gave you a CAT without training? People have to realize just having a piece of equipment does NOT make you safer or help you save lives, training does. Way before there were commercial tourniquets trained professional were saving lives with them. You can have all the public access AED's you want but time and time again the research shows what saves lives is high quality CPR from a trained provider. Get involved and get trained, get your family, friends and co-workers trained.

13. ArkansasFan30

I actually just saw a picture of a bleeding control station on Instagram set up like an AED box. I made the account to follow interesting parties and this serves as an example.

14. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Aren't the NAR audio bleeding control kits designed to work along the same principle as an AED so it talks you through step by step how to use everything? https://www.narescue.com/audio-bleeding-control-kits

It seems like a good idea IMO. Applying a TQ isn't too difficult and if people are being talked through it, they'd be more willing to try.

I'd like to see these mounted next to AEDs on every street corner ideally. They're also about a third of the price of an AED

firemedic183 likes this.
  15. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately its not always so easy. I joined my firm's Emergency Response Team to get to the front of the waiting list for CPR training, which was great. But they don't offer Stop the Bleed. In fact. I can't find a STB class/trainer anywhere in San Francisco. It's a bit discouraging, but I'm not going to give up.

S.F. is focused mainly on ERTraining for earthquakes and such, so plenty of urban CERT training, but the STB seems to be left up to CPR trainers, and not many offer it.

16. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I agree completely with this post!! My 6 year old can correctly apply a TQ. The flow chart that comes with pictures is provided with stop the bleed kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volvoboy likes this.
  17. volvoboy

volvoboy Loaded Pockets

Well, I have training (retired Nationally Registered EMT, current Red Cross AED/CPR/First Aid training, CERT training, the Stop the Bleed training, SALT Mass Casualty Triage Training, Core Disaster Life Support, and Intro to Tactical Emergency Casualty Care).

That said, tourniquets aren't medically restricted devices and haven't been in my professional lifetime, so they are in essence an "over the counter" purchase item. I purchased my tourniquets (I have tourniquets in my car first aid kit, my EDC bag, my home first aid kit, and my bug out bags) from Rescue Essentials, NAR, and Skinny Medic, depending on who was having a sale at the time.

You are right that training is important, and with regard to trauma that is one of the objectives of the Stop the Bleed campaign whose training I mentioned at the start of this thread. Like CPR training started around cardiac care, the STB training is focused on providing widespread civilian training on handling trauma and hemorrage. It (like CPR training that focuses on hands-only CPR training), recognizes that civilian "first care providers" can learn lifesaving skills in a relatively short training program. Quick bleeding control is critical to survival in a similar way that early CPR and early cardioversion is critical to survial after cardiac arrest.

Stop the Bleed Kits are now appearing beside AED cabinets in many public and private places so that lifesaving equipment is available for the civilian first care provider until EMS professionals arrive. Hopefully there will be a trained civilian first care provider on scene. If not, though, both AEDs and STB kits have short simple directions that can help even untrained persons take action until professional care arrives. Not optimal, but better than standing by and watching someone bleed out.