1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Free standing backpacks

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by benhar, May 5, 2020.

1. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

So I just got my Evade 1.5 in, and as I’m trying it out, I can’t shake the notion of wanting to try the TAD Axiom 24 as well, it just looks like an awesome bag. But aside from price, I hesitated due to it not looking like it will freestand.

Which brings me to my question... I’m curious why the ability to freestand isn’t discussed more? Perhaps more priority is put on how a bag travels, but personally it drives me nuts to sit down in a meeting with tight sitting, only for my bag to tip and sprawl because I didn’t prop it well enough or because I moved my chair a little. It was one of the big reasons I got the Evade to replace my Synapse 25.

RogerStenning likes this.
  2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

While I've not tried the Evade bag, I've used many others over the years, from a variety of manufacturers. I have yet to find a pack that has the capacity I want, that successfully stands up on its own, unless it's an old military L-Frame pack. The problem is the material that modern packs are made of has to be a compromise of strength and weight, which tends to cancel out any possibility of freestanding packs, even when using rigid organiser pouches within the pack, as eventually, something will settle, alter the balance of the pack, and whoops, over she goes.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Not a feature that takes priority over other pack features.

Standing pack and strap ends too likely to become a trip hazard especially if lights get dimmed for a presentation and someone comes in late.

If push came to shove, I would probably invest in something like a HeroClip and call it a day.

ATB,
    Sam

Nick4305 and RogerStenning like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I didn't get this bag for the standing ability but the 1st Tactical Tactix bag that I have not only stood politely from the start but it has a whole flat pocket on the bottom of the bag that you can slide a hard sheet into to make it stand even more than without it!

I stuck some 1/2" blue foam pad in there and it does the same thing.

5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Those are, it has to be said, amazing bits of kit (I have one too, for my 5.11 Rush 24 pack) :)

6. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

Thanks all, that Heroclip looks interesting. Can definitely see times that would be useful.