1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Frank's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by thefrank, Mar 11, 2013.

1. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

It's a really great knife but probably not for everyone. I bet most people will prefer a larger locking knife. For my purposes this is perfect, I would give it 9.5/10. It is of course not as heavy duty as a locking folder but tougher than traditional slipjoint knives and while it is very compact in the pocket it feels comfortable in the hand. The fit and finish is flawless. The blade has a really nice stonewash. I also like this steel, it holds an edge but it's still easy enough to sharpen. After a short break in time mine is super smooth and despite being a non-locking knife it won't close as long as you hold it and apply pressure on the spring. I also like the fact that you can quite easily swap out the scales and totally change the look of the knife. The only negative thing I can come up with is the clip, it often gets stuck on my pocket.

So it really depends on what you want. If you are looking for a high-quality, small non-locking folder then I would definitely recommend this. If you want basically the same functionality but on a smaller budget then the Spyderco Pingo is a good choice. And if you like the look but rather want a locking knife then TRM also has the Class Action flipper.

2. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Northwoods Hawthorne Jack, Maxmadco bolt action pen, Zach Wood Prybar and NutSac Bags Satchel

[​IMG]

3. CAPOC38A

CAPOC38A Empty Pockets

Thanks for the honest straight forward review.

thefrank likes this.
  4. CAPOC38A

CAPOC38A Empty Pockets

5. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Yeah, the name is awesome!! :D In most cases I would say that a cool/funny name is more likely an indicator for a low quality product but here it is the opposite. I have only had this bag for three weeks but so far I am very impressed with the quality!

6. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Bird watching EDC with Northwoods Hawthorne Jack, Atwood Pest and Celestron Nature DX binoculars

[​IMG]

7. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Pingo and Atwood Mini P15 Prybaby in zirconium

[​IMG]

SV-97, 313, Ganymede12 and 2 others like this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

:censored: you, Frank.
    I just read through the last two pages of your thread, and I don't think I can afford to read further back.
    Never heard of Nutsac bags, sure want one. Never heard of Fellhoelter pens either, sure want one. I might even reconsider putting the Techno back on my knives-to-get list. I recently ditched it to make room for the SpydieChef, but I might just have to get both...
    I've been looking for waxed canvas bags for a while, but kind of given up on finding what I'm looking for. Looking at NutSac bags offerings, I think the Mag-satch is just about exactly what I've been looking for. The pen though is way out of budget. I leave pens everywhere. Loosing a $175 pen (or more like $250 before I have it delivered to Norway) would just be too painful. I'm not very much into pens, but I really like the compact size and the finish on the titanium more than any other EDC pens I've seen so far. You wouldn't know of any budget friendly alternatives?

Keep up posting inspiring pictures of your EDC, Frank. Great work!

9. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

:giggle:
    Thank you! :D I think all this forum is about is making you believe that you need more and more cooler stuff in your life!

The NutSac Bags brand is relatively new. I have had my bag only for a few weeks but so far I'm very impressed by it! The Spyderco Techno was my first pocket knife (apart from SAKs) and it has been an EDC favorite ever since. There are certainly more functional knives around but I really love that design!

The TiBolts are indeed a bit pricey but it is hands down my favorite EDC pen out there. It looks great, it is very comfortable to write with and the bolt action is a lot smoother than anything else on the market. I know of course what you mean with losing pens. When I use cheap pens at work they never last very long. But when I use an expensive pen I am a lot more careful with it!
    There are of course a lot of alternatives in every price class out there. The best deal for the money is in my mind the stainless Parker Jotter. For under $10 you get a great pen with a very elegant design. I used one for over 15 years before I got into more exclusive EDC pens. Going up from there you mainly pay for coolness and for having something more special but it's difficult to rationalize the expense.

Here are some options between the Jotter and the TiBolt:
    - CRKT Ruger Pen: That is the official budget version of the TiBolt in aluminum. I don't have one but I have heard mostly good things about it.

- Boker pens: The aluminium and micarta versions of the .45 and .50 bolt pens start around $30 but I have seen very mixed reviews on them. Some people are very happy, others say they are complete crap. I have the impression that the QC is not the best. I have the .50 in titanium which is pretty good but it's also significantly more expensive.

- Tactile Turn Slider and Glider bolt action pens: In direct comparison with the TiBolt they clearly fall behind but they do start at $60. The copper and brass versions look very nice but keep in mind that they are not exactly light.

- Hinderer Investigator and Extreme Duty pens: great pens if you want to consider something with a cap.

- Maxmadco bolt action pens: They start at $85 and they are very good pens. The bolt action is super smooth because the insert is delrin but the bolt is a screw which is small and has sharp edges. It does not protrude as much as the bolt on the TiBolt but it is also not as comfortable to play around with.

- Tuff Writer pens: I have never owned one and I don't find them very special but from what I hear they are also very good pens.

- Ti2 Design Techliner: they use a magnetic cap and have a very good reputation. I don't have one but I always wanted to give them a try. I think they start around $60.

- Karas Kustoms: entry level custom pens, they come as bolt action, clicky and with cap. Not bad but in my opinion the Tactile Turn pens are better at a similar price point.

You can also go to Blade HQ, Knifecenter and other shops, they have lots of other pens you can browse through. My recommendation is to either go with a good low budget pen (Parker Jotter, Zebra...) or with something over $50. If you are not in a hurry then you can also keep an eye on places where people sell EDC items. You can often get great bargains when you buy something used!

10. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Friday pocket dump with Boker Cox

[​IMG]

SV-97, 313, Gary Gross and 1 other person like this.
  11. aicolainen

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and detailed answer. It was much more than I had hoped for.

I'm not in much of a hurry regarding pens, but got inspired by seeing your Fellhoelter, as that resembles very well what I'm looking for. I looked at the CRKT you mentioned, but it just looked $100 cheaper. I might take on a QC gamble and try the Böker 50 cal in alu one day. I'm not writing novels, just looking for a compact and robust pen to have around when the need arises, so the Böker might be good enough.
    There is practically not a second hand market for EDC items here in Norway, so I'm probably looking at buying something new.

The Spyderco Techno is probably not for everyone, but I like it and would like to try one. Actually I was hoping Spyderco would follow up and release a new version based on Marcin's 2. generation Mouse. That really look like a nice and practical knife.

The Nutsac bag I will definitely try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. aicolainen

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough and detailed answer. It was much more than I had hoped for.

I'm not in much of a hurry, but got inspired by seeing your Fellhoelter, as that resembles very well what I'm looking for.

I did write a very detailed response to your pen suggestions, but Tapatalk somehow made it all disappear. Here's the short version.

I don't have a habit of writing much with pens, I would like to, but I'm very bad at organizing notes, so usually I just make notes directly on my computer. Working as an engineer I do make quite a few sketches, but prefer pencils for that type of work. Since I'm just looking at making some occasional notes, I'm tempted to gamble on a Böker 50 cal in alu. It seems compact and robust, which is my main priorities for an EDC pen. I could always upgrade if I suddenly start writing a lot.

The Nutsac bag I will definitely try out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

My pleasure! I totally understand your situation. With these things it is always about priorities. For me the pen in my EDC is just as important as the knife. But for most people in the EDC universe the extra money is probably better invested in a cool knife or flashlight. There is no point in spending $150 on a pen unless it makes you a little bit happier whenever you take it out and use it.
    Just because you mentioned using pencils: The TiBolt Releaded is a mechanical pencil with the same design as the original TiBolt, it uses one of these mechanical pencil inserts from Schmidt. I don't have one so I cannot say much about it first hand.

I know that getting EDC items can be a bit more difficult and more expensive than in North America. But it's still worth keeping an eye on good deals, e.g. EDC groups on Facebook. A lot of people are actually willing to ship abroad and as long as you are fine with taking the reasonable risk of uninsured shipping it is not that expensive. It also helps your wallet if they declare a $15 pen! :D

aicolainen likes this.
  14. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

For months I have been waiting for this knife and now the new Trestle Pine Topper has finally arrived! After the Superior, the Portage and the Grand Portage it is the fourth folder from Trestle Pine and I am very happy to say that it is all that I hoped for!
    It's a gunstock pattern with a S30V steel, saber ground clip blade that measures just under 3". It also features a cap lifter instead of a second blade. The handle of this one is made from old-growth oak with a beautiful wood grain. Of course this run comes again in many different handle options. Weighing in at 3.4 oz it is clearly no lightweight but with a closed length of approximately 3.5" it is still a very pocket friendly knife. One thing I really like about the TP Knives is that they without shields or laser etching. They leave no doubt that they were built to be used. With that thick saber ground blade it feels even sturdier than the TP Superior. Someone on Facebook said this morning that the Topper reminded him of a Buck 110. I think this is indeed where some of the inspiration for this knife came from. It is as if you took a 110 and turned it into a nicer, more pocket friendly slipjoint version with high quality steel, beautiful wood handles and the additional functionality of the cap lifter!
    The Trestle Pine folders are made by Queen Cutlery exclusively for TSA Knife Shop. My TP Superior and also the Portage are really good quality knives. My personal experience with other Queen knives is not so good though and I have also heard some mixed things about the Grand Portage so I was a bit nervous before the Topper came out. But the fit&finish on this one is really good. Maybe not quite as good as some of my GEC made knives but close enough. The clip blade has really nice walk&talk, the cap lifter may need a drop of oil and some break in time. The grind may also need some attention but I have the feeling that this one will become a truely great EDC knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

313, twin63 and CAPOC38A like this.
  15. ashridge

ashridge Empty Pockets

Personally I use a Caran D'ache 849 pen - classic 1969 design, available in a ton of colors and finishes (I prefer the 'original' lacquered alloy) and costs $25! It uses the same pen refills that go into their $1000 pens, I find it great to hold and it's nice to fiddle with as you can unscrew the click mechanism...