1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Frank's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by thefrank, Mar 11, 2013.

1. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

My EDC has changed quite a bit over the past months and I think it is time to give in to the narcissistic urge to create my own thread! :showoff:

I was not aware of the EDC scene until a couple of months ago but I actually have been "EDCing" some kind of tool or gadget on my keychain for the past 20 years probably. For a while it was a Vic classic, then some strange aluminum bottle opener, at some point I added a screw driver... But for the last few years it has just been my keys and a titanium bottle opener from Paragon.

My keychain toys don't really see a lot of heavy duty but I'm also not a fan of keeping stuff in a plastic bag in my drawer so almost all of them end up on a keychain and will be carried at least from time to time. At the end of the day they have often been used to take out some screws, open the jammed lid of some machine, open a shipping box - or at least a cold beer!

I'm not really interested in knifes or classic leatherman-style multitools, rather one-piece tools (from cheap to expensive), tiny flashlights and lanyard beads! If you are curious where I buy that stuff I recommend you check out this list I put together:
    http://edcforums.com/threads/sources-for-one-piece-keychain-tools-lots-of-links.105723/

Enough gibberish... time for some pictures! This was my last keychain setup before I started my EDC adventure:
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn, johnny five, Weej and 10 others like this.
  2. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

These are some keychain and EDC pictures from the past few months, they all have been posted somewhere else before...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a "low budget" setup:
    [​IMG]

... here together with it's polished twin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not finished yet...
    [​IMG]

3. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Since I have by now five keychains (and soon probably more...) I simply put my keys and the door fob on a small carabiner, so I can easily switch between my keychains: :D
    [​IMG]

Here some of the paracord, split rings, beads and other things I have been hoarding to make more toys. Hatchetjack here has been obviously a great source of inspiration, especially for raiding the local hardware store or the bike shop!
    [​IMG]

4. Nutdip

Nutdip Loaded Pockets

You sir... are excellent at pictures! Love the stuff. :cool:

5. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Thanks, glad you like them! Unfortunately I'm a rather lousy photographer but I my girlfriend happens to have a decent camera so I take 10 pictures, pick one and then let some online photo filter do most of the magic! ;)

6. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I wanted to have a wire cord stopper on my lanyard with the dragon bead, but I could not find bronze wire, copper was too reddish, black looked too cheap... I ended up using brass but it was too shiny and light at first so I played around with a lighter until it was completely black, than cleaned and polished it a bit. Now it has the perfect color! (not sure if its really visible on the picture, the left one is the original shiny brass, the other two have been treated.)

[​IMG]

7. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

Very nice looking EDC and great pictures! I am going to make a prybar similar to your Atwood because I just don't have enough money for one! (Well actually I don't even have enough for a Spyderco Tenacious at the moment :( )

theirishboxer and Weej like this.
  8. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I know... these six letters on Peter's tools are quite expensive! ;) There are other tools which are certainly more reasonably priced but self-made is of course much cooler! I wish I had the tools and skills to try some stuff myself...

theirishboxer, Weej and AK Adventurer like this.
  9. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I used a half-link and master link to connect the keys, the wrunt and the lanyard. It makes the keychain a bit bulky but I think it's a pretty cool way to connect three items.

[​IMG]

10. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

You have some amazing keychain setups!

11. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

The thingy on the right here, I have absolutely no idea what it is, but I need one badly...

Lovely setups though!

theirishboxer, Weej and sliverhawk like this.
  12. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Thanks a lot!! But I get most of my inspiration from other posts here! Until half a year ago I had no idea what cool things you could do with your keychain! ;)

That's a short steel tube with 3 damascus beads on it. It's one of the limited "beads" from TT pocket tools. I think Todd had only 3 or 4 of them for sale and they were gone pretty quickly but there is always a good chance that he will make some more of a successful design in the future!

13. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the fast reply!

It's a Bonny looking thing, wasn't sure if it was a whistle or something. I really like it, thanks for helping empty my wallet!

14. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

Any time! ;)
    You could probably use it as a tiny pry tool but it's not supposed to be good for anything - except looking good! :D

15. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Great stuff you got here!
    Where'd you get the gorgeous dragon bead? :)

G.

16. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

You don't really want to know... It's from Steel Flame. I got quite a good deal for it but it was still the price of an average Atwood! Then again I do like it better than my Atwoods! :D

17. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

18. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

I warned you! :bounce:

You can get them significantly cheaper on USN but it is still a lot of dead presidents for a small piece of bronze. But honestly, if I could just buy one thing from all the keychain toys and bling I got it would probably be that bead!

19. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets

These are my girlfriend's keys. Usually she makes fun of my keychain obsession but she actually liked the paracord lanyard I made. She loves biking so I used a master link as second lanyard bead, it can move up and down the paracord.

[​IMG]

20. thefrank

thefrank Loaded Pockets