1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

France and England

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Synaptic Misfire, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Hey guys need a favor, got a friend going on his honeymoon to Paris with a day trip to London. He asked me what he could take with him, I advised no tactical folders, AO, lock blades or fixed blades but I am not sure about Leathermans and SAKs. Also what about flashlights?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

A camera and an open world-view. You don't need tools, these are modern cities fercryinoutloud.

Paris: get a baguette, croissant or whatever on Sunday, because Monday will be tough to find fresh goods.

London: Picadilly, Trafalgar, spread out from that area. One day is just not enough.

Lastly: have fun, meet people, show everyone (US?) that we are not all .... lame.

3. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I don't know about France. Some places in London disallow any knives - the London Eye is notorious for this. Otherwise non-locking folders with blades under 3" are OK. Leathermans and SAKs are OK if they fit that, and the more "tool-like" and less "weapon-like" the better, but in practice it's unlikely to be an issue unless you go to one of the places that search, or get arrested for some other reason.

Torches will be fine, as long as you remember they are called that and not "flashlights".

4. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

One last thing: brush up on your French. You absolutely need to speak French, at least to start a conversation about how ignorant you are :) We got plenty of help from older people; actually I can't remember when anyone was rude at all-- just like in any big city you'll run into someone gruff/direct (but not exactly rude). Just try to use French; word pitch placement helps. Take classes.

The culture is into protocol (similar to Asians)-- you say, "excuse me sir or madam" -- it's not a big deal, just part of the tongue:

Excusez moi, madame/monsieur? Parlez vous anglais? Ou est la gare?

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The sad part is, I don't think you're being sarcastic. :(

6. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

All you need is a corkscrew.

7. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

This is mostly important in Paris, most anywhere else they are more accommodating but Parisians find it offensive if you don't at least try. They will speak to you in English if you butcher the language enough, most of them speak English they just want to see an attempt on your part to learn their language.

SAKs should be ok. I picked up a Tinkerer in Switzerland and kept it with me during my tour through Europe. Just be mindful of what you have on you.

8. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

In the UK the knife law bans anything over 3" in length or locking/fixed blade construction.

Something like a SAK is ideal and a perfectly legal carry.
    Leathermen depend on the model - I have a kick here which is perfectly legal, but pretty much all the current (full size) models above that have locking blades, so technically are illegal - at the same time I would say that a Leatherman is generally seen as a tool rather than knife, but on something like a honeymoon I wouldn't want to test it. The kick and smaller non locking models like the squirts are all cool though.

9. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you, that is the kind of info I was looking for!

10. riprater

riprater Loaded Pockets

Just got back from London and Paris. EDC items used the most:
    bandana--for drying hands. Dryers didn't work worth a flip.
    Valiant Concepts pen--for filling out customs forms, signing credit card slips and marking things on a map. Side note--I found a clip that fit it perfectly off of a cheap skinny tourist pen--made it handy for clipping to the top of pages in guide book and top of map. Post pics later
    Suunto Observer watch--used the compass when coming out of the tube system to get my bearings.
    Pill fob supplied some much needed Immodium AD at one point.
    Arc AAA-p provided some light digging around in my bag.
    Leatherman Squirt P4---used the pliers once to adjust my new found clip. They do make you empty your pockets at the Eiffel tower and the Louvre.
    Atwood Tactical whistle rode on my keychain just in case.

Not sure if your friend has already traveled, but maybe someone else can benefit from this.

11. Elmo

Elmo Loaded Pockets

take the Eurostar train through the Channel tunnel and avoid most of the :censored: :idiot2:

12. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Well my bud left yesterday with a SAK Farmer, Leatherman PST and a Mini-Mag in his check luggage so he should be solid. I will know more in a few days.

Thanks to all who replied.

13. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Not illegal, just not allowed without a reasonable excuse. Its a subtle but very important distinction.

14. jimspriggs500

jimspriggs500 Empty Pockets

Remember, they still have scanners and luggage/person searches for The Channel Tunnel, just like an airport. Don't rely on the officials knowing the rules as well as you do.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Not much of a distinction, since it depends entirely on the LEO who stops you. If he happens to be the type who believes that no civilian has a good reason to carry a knife in public, then you're screwed.

16. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Who cares what they think. The law is the law.

Im not advocating you EDC a Persistance, but the law is clear that its perfectly legal to have it if you need it for work or some hobby your doing or whatever else.

Plus there was a case a few months ago when someone "forgot" he had a lock knife on him (not a teenage yob, obv) and he got a years suspended sentence. Its a myth that here in the UK the system is out to lock up otherwise law abiding civilians - it cant, it just doesnt have the money to prosecute you or the space to house you for a prison term.

Follow the law and you will be fine, the law specifically says that with the exception of outlawed stuff like gravity and butterfly knives there are no illegal knives, just illegal situations.

17. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Something like a SAK is ideal and a perfectly legal carry.anything other than 3" in length or locking/fixed blade construction.
    As per the mentioned kit ,what would be the ideal for your Uk legal carry?
    thanks

18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

True, I was basing my post on a general EDC approach where the blade would most likely be considered as illegal without a good reason (which sadly 'because it is a useful EDC' is not), but as you have mentioned you are allowed to carry a blade outwith the normal restrictions should you have a valid reason to - for example a chef carrying his knives to work would be acceptable, or carrying a Leatherman to work on a building site.

19. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Whilst not so relevant to the OP's friend and i agree entirely with what you say, it is important to know the difference if someone were to come to the UK on a camping holiday or something like that.

Given this could be a thread of useful info should someone wish to research a visit here in the future its my opinion its always helpful to expand on the generalities - it also helps dispel the false rumours that all knives are illegal in the UK. We get a bad press for our knife laws, often due to the spin on how its reported in the media.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A few years ago, there was a newspaper vendor who was cutting open bundles of newspapers. A police officer who walked by noticed that he had two knives on him. When questioned as to why he needed two knives, the vendor said that he sharpened each one every night but needed both to get through the day cutting the bundles free of the cords that held them together. (Apparently, he was using cheap knives).

Well, the officer decided that he didn't have a valid reason for having two knives on him, in public. And the vendor was arrested. Doesn't matter what one considers to be a valid reason. What matters is what a police officer considers to be a valid reason.