1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Foursevens Mini MK II is hot!!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by montejames, Dec 8, 2016.

1. montejames

montejames Loaded Pockets

Just got a Foursevens Mini MK II and it's bright.

Small at 2 and 1/4 by 25/32 with an rcr123 it hits 1020 lumens.

Smallest and brightest of my 123 lights. I'm impressed.

Wish it had was push button and not a twisty.

reppans likes this.
  2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Yup.. it's a pocket rocket.

I prefer clickies too, but twisties are cool at this size.

[​IMG]

3. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Note that it requires the custom battery as part of the "combo" kit to hit 1020 lumens else 550 cited.

4. montejames

montejames Loaded Pockets

The light produces 1020 lumens for 15-30 seconds, before ramping down to 550 lumens over the next few minutes with a rechargeable but can run a standard CR123 in a pinch. Without the rechargeable all you get is 500 lumens. The "custom" battery is just a high draw rechargeable.

1000 from a light the size of a roll of Tums is a new experience.

Do I make a holster or lose it to the washer in my watch pocket? It's so tiny you can lose several in a watch pocket.

kensington likes this.
  5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

This does look like an interesting light I must say even though it ramps down after a few seconds,....500 lumens is more than enough in most cases.

I'd prefer it to be a clicky too or at least have a magnet in the tail like the Atom I have, that's the only Four Sevens torch I have actually.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm laughing because I remember when double CR123 could only do about 110 or 120 lumens max. People defended the Arc light as a keychain light because 5.5 lumens was enough light for most things you'd need to do. Either we're all going night-blind, or the standard for "enough light" is changing drastically.

Norseman, Gary Gross, MKLight and 5 others like this.
  7. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

For a clicky, take a look at the Four/sevens PK, not as bright as the Mini MKII but can be used as a push button. I believe it is on clearance as well

earthman likes this.
  8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It is not on clearance and it is nowhere near as compact as the Mini Mk II.

FWIW, the original Mini could be converted to a clicky with a Nekomane body and a 1st gen Fenix tail cap. You needed to grind one end of the Nekomane tube and put a ring of copper wire in the other end as spacer to center the tube between the Mini bezel and Fenix tailcap.

I asked on CPF if the threading on the new Mini and the old Mini are compatible, but I never got an answer. A side-by-side of the threads would likely indicated that they are not compatible.

9. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I have the Autumn PVD Copper Mini MK II and the threads do not match up with my aluminum Mini.Unfortunately I don't have an aluminum version of the MK II for comparison. The Mk II has programmable mode options but the mode switching is not as reliable as the original Mini. It seems to take a really quick twist to get the modes to change and the twisty takes some effort. My Minis are much more user friendly and mode switching has always been reliable.

The MK II is very bright with the supplied li-ion. I keep mine set to high/low since the mode switching is finicky. I wish Foursevens would offer an aluminum neutral version of the MK II. I have a feeling the aluminum model probably has a better twisty action and the lighter weight is better for EDC purposes IMO. The Mk II is a nice light but so far I like the original Mini much better as an EDC light despite the amazing output of the MK II.

Moshe ben David and MKLight like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@ZMZ687: I just received one of the Mini Mk II. I SO wish I had seen your post and consulted with you. Out of the box just playing with it I almost immediately somehow changed configuration selection. Re-selecting is absolutely tricky! I can just picture this happening in the dark somewhere. NOT what I would call a reliable EDC item!

I've just emailed Foursevens to try to get a return authorization; I expect not so simple since they've shut down operations with a new owner to take over in January...

Oh well. At least it didn't cost me a huge fortune...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

They are great little lights and if you want one with a Clicky they are the Olight S-Mini!

12. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse myself. I've always been leery of twisty lights and the Mini Mk II has confirmed my fears. I love how bright the light is for something so small, but twisting action is flaky. I too tried contacting support but I doubt anyone will respond.

13. Moshe ben David

@landwire: yeah, I'm not holding my breath on any response from foursevens at least not until the new management is there. I'll probably have to rattle that cage some more.

What really aggravates me is that my PowerTac E1, which is no longer in production -- but which I've had for about 5 years -- is a twisty; but perfectly straightforward to use. The difference I think is that back then lights were not being made with multiple 'configurations' (low - med- high, etc) and hence the twisty approach was not complicated.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

So after doing some research and fiddling around, I found out that the following:

The various Mini MK II configurations all have memory mode. It will resort back to the last sitting it was on before it was turned off. I'm not sure how I feel about this. More so since I am reading this from other websites reviews and specs and not from the Fourseven's website.

When you have a configuration with multiple settings, you have to twist on and off in a 1/2 second or faster to switch between brightness settings.

The general consensus from other reviewers is that this light is really a 300 lumen light with a burst mode up to 1000 lumens.

Given the brightness ability, I was half-way expecting a daily-ish working man flashlight. In reality, to me, it simply a rather bright backup pocket flashlight. If I need better run times or a better grip, I need to look at a bigger size flashlight. It certainly has it place or role, but one should be careful not to exceed it. I think I was expecting for more from it than what it was meant to provide.

15. Moshe ben David

@landwire: you and me both!

I've also been fiddling with mine. Somehow -- don't ask me how -- I was able to leave moonlight mode and get into a brighter setting. Not sure if it was medium or high or the full blown burst. Unfortunately, somehow I exited and landed back in moonlight. Simply cannot figure out how to use this thing reliably. I also ascribe much of the issue to the time constraints.

At this point I don't even see a use for this thing as a backup light. How in the hell it got such stellar reviews is beyond me. I feel like I was suckered.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love mine!

reppans likes this.
  17. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

FourSeven has unique, and somewhat complicated UI. If you have moonlight, then the light is set on Config 6. The mode memory sets after the light has been off >1/2 second. As landslide mentioned, turning off, and then on, in less then 1/2 sec will cycle to the next mode, A unique 47 UI feature is that If you first turn the light on to a memorized mode, then the next mode cycled will always start at the beginning of the sequence (ML>L>M>H), or what some refer to as a 'snap back' [to beginning] feature. So if you turn on M, and want to get to H, you will have to cycle through ML, L, and M first.

The snap back feature is great for us night-vision/low-lumen/battery-conservative folks. We can stay in the lower modes without ever having to cycle past the retina-searing/battery-burner modes - eg. to cycle from L to ML, just do a slow off/on cycle (>1/2 sec, locks memory) followed by fast off/on cycle (<1/2 sec, cycles) which 'snaps back'.

FWIW The first gen MKii (mine shown at top) had a incredibly short 'off' period to cycle which made mode switching quite flaky... many folks complained, incl. myself, but the latest iterations with moonlight at the start of the sequence feel about perfect in timing to me. I bought several MKii Turbo versions (both Stainlesss and Alum) this clearance sale and love them.

18. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I guess part of my problem is that I was expecting the light to function more like my Mini AA2. No memory mode and you can take a lot longer to switch between brightness modes. The twisty action is also silky smooth. That all said, I still prefer the tail clicky such as the Quarks. The UI on the Quarks is awesome, but that another praise for another day.

As far as the MK II goes, they are growing on me. Configuration 2 (Low - High) seems to work best for me. The 2-way clip came in handy quite nicely. I needed to do some work outside last night. I was able to clip the light on to a ball cap and see just fine. When I was done, I was able to go back to pocket clip. The flashlight was light enough that it wasn't a concern.

19. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

The Mini Mk II seems to work best as a 2 mode or single mode light. The mode switching is just too unreliable for 3 or more modes IMO. At least it can be configured to single or two mode. With 4Sevens in transition all the models were put on "all sales final" so you have what you have. I like my Mini Mk IIs for what they are,tiny lumen blasters, but they have some limitations and I wouldn't use either as a stand alone EDC light.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Love mine so far, despite the overcomplicated UI. I foolishly neglected to buy the combo battery and torch pack so I am using a disposable cr123.
    I'm finding that it is accidentally turned on a lot in my jeans pocket. And yes. It gets very hot.