1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Use a pen with some kind of converter. The action of refilling the pen will keep it cleaner and improve flow. I am finding out what papers work and what don't. At my desk, I keep a moistened paper towel to clean the gunk on the nib, Mondays I splash the tip under the faucet in the restroom (and make sure the sink is rinsed clear afterwards.) You can also fill it less than full.

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

The disposable Pilot Varsity/V-Pen or the newer Bic ones are probably your best bet if you only use fountain pens once in a while.

Platinum Preppies (with their inner cap an' all) are pretty good writers after being left for a long time without use as well.

All of these are inexpensive, sub $5.00 (or in the case of the first two I mentioned, $5.00 for a pack of 3). They all have a pretty good ink capacity as well. The disposables have fairly wide nibs, however. :)

Mighty Max likes this.
  3. clutchjunkie

clutchjunkie Loaded Pockets

Hey mooshisho, what do you think of the Cross Bailey FP? They are on sale at Staples for $20 right now and my Google-fu tells me that is half price or better. If they are any good I think I will go scoop one up tomorrow. They appear to have a "medium" stainless nib. I don't know how they refill.

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I've never used the Bailey, but I have used the Aventura (same nibs, if I'm not mistaken). I think the more modern Cross pens are a bit of a hit and miss, but most of the time, good quality out the box. It should be a cartridge based pen. $20.00 is a good price, and the guys and gals over at FPN seem to agree, as that is about half the price they normally go for.

At that price point, you could also go for a Lamy Safari, which are great starter pens, if you can get over the triangular grip and the more contemporary design.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Once the cartridge is empty, buy a bottle of ink (stay away from Parker's Quink), get a small syringe, get some ink inside of it, push the plunger a bit back down into the ink bottle, then slowly push the plunger down while holding the empty cartridge in your other hand. Re-insert full cartridge back into pen. Be careful since the hole in the cartridge is now there as you re-insert it.

mooshisho likes this.
  6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ I love syringe filling cartridges so much better than anything else. Never understood how people thought it was messy. I think all other methods are messy.

MichiganMan, mrlysle and Syclone1436 like this.
  7. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Allright then! Been reading this thread and enjoying it. Always had a fascination/desire for a nice FP. I have good handwriting for a guy. ;) So, I have a question for Moo. What would be a good pen for me to get my feet wet? (hopefully not with ink either! :rofl:) A nice starter pen, that I could enjoy, not have to tune and tweak constantly, but could if I needed to? I'm probably not going to worry about tons of ink colors right away, but later, it might be nice if they were easy to change. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to highjack this thread. (great thread btw KAMM) I just thought this would be a good one to ask since we have Mooshi hangin' out here. :)

8. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

haha I can see that! My alerts were filled with "mrlysle liked your post in the thread..." :p

If you check out this post in my progression thread, I go over all of the pens that I would recommend first time fountain pen users. :)

9. mrlysle

mrlysle Loaded Pockets

Thanks Moo! You're a sweetheart! :D

mooshisho likes this.
  10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The mess comes from folks who are too impatient. Either they don't bother to get the air out once the syringe is full. Or, they push down too hard and fast on the plunger when refilling the cartridge.

mooshisho and mrlysle like this.
  11. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

Do you store your loaded pen upright and tightly capped? If not, this might help a bit. I do that with my fountain pen and except for the first stroke, it writes fine even if I haven't used it for a few days. To begin writing, I usually will give it a quick shake to get the ink started.

12. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

A lefty here and love/hate them... I will edc one now and then mainly a Lamy Safari

13. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Brother's a lefty and he uses them all perfectly fine. Currently, he's using the lefty gripped Pelikano Jr. I think he curves his hand around though... he used to write from below but slowly his grip changed. :nah_disagree:

kye4some likes this.
  14. clutchjunkie

clutchjunkie Loaded Pockets

Soo... thanks to you guys :p I bought a pack of Bic disposables to get a feel for FP's before I took the plunge. I know I said I was going to get that Cross, but I am cheap and I am saving my $$ for the Kershaw Cryo 2 when it comes out.

Anyway, so far I am mixed. They write great on legal paper, which I don't use all that often. They write horribly in the "notes for the next shift" book I have to write in every day, and they are also no good for filling out paperwork that is printed on our companywide printer paper. They write big thick lines (like a Sharpie) on napkins, which is good if you are leaving notes for people on napkins.

If I am going to keep using FP's, I have to find a finer tip, and find one that will write on all types of paper equally well. I will practice with my Bics for now, but I do not have very high hopes for getting into FP's in the future.

mooshisho likes this.
  15. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

It's a journey finding a pen that writes well and at a thickness that you desire, an ink shade that you like (and like to use daily) with properties that best suits you (water/bleach/UV-resistant and whatnot), and paper that it works well with.

Different inks will vary in behavior dependent on the pen it's in and the paper you're writing on. It'll take a little while before you find your winning combination. Hope this doesn't deter you from continuing on this journey!

Best wishes to you. :)

16. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Darn, Moosh.
    I think you have introduced me to another subhobby :cool:
    Now I feel the need to at least get a Safari, wheras previously the closest I had gotten to a fountain was a Pilot Varsity years ago.
    Thanks for the posts on good beginner pens. I would hate to either get a cheap one that was junk or an expensive one for just doing holiday cards :D
    Maybe the holiday card fountain pen will never want to leave my pocket... Y'all know how that is, right? :D

mooshisho likes this.
  17. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

hahaha :p You're welcome? :D The Safari's a great pen. :) I believe many of our fountain pen users on this forum own one; I know KAMM and rsxtacee each went out and got one not too long ago. I like them; my only gripe is that I have small writing and their nibs run too wide for me. That's not to say that I don't own one, though. ;)

:D Cheers! I look forward to seeing what you end up with. :)

thatotherguy likes this.
  18. thatotherguy

Thanks, now I just need to learn how to write legibly again :D
    What ink makers should I look for? Noodlers seems to be popular.

Last edited by thatotherguy, Oct 16, 2012
  19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I have a preference for Noodler's only because they have inks with nice properties that I look for (particularly water resistance when I'm working in the lab), comes in a gazillion shades, and are super saturated. Parker Quink and Waterman are nice. I don't use those too often though; they just don't appeal to me. I do like the Private Reserve line of inks. :) Particularly their browns and Tanzanite (purple-y).

The "Bulows" have quite a following and have steadily grown over the years. They used to be called something else... but I forget; I know they still use the x450/x750, etc. to distinguish between their models though. :) They're pretty good yet inexpensive [starter] pens.

20. thatotherguy

Thanks for the help. I'll probably end up getting a Bulow with a few ink sample bottles to try before investing too much into a pen.

mooshisho likes this.