1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. plausiblydeniable

plausiblydeniable Empty Pockets

It's hard to compare the L2k and VP with the Falcon, the Falcon nib is meant for something different with the amount of springiness it has. I'd put the Lamy 2000 above the VP based on my own experience. My VP will dry up too readily whereas my Lamys write instantly even if I've not used them for weeks. One of my 2000s is a 1980s model I picked up at a car boot sales for £3 and it writes perfectly every time. Bargain of the century.

I'd choose the Falcon over the VP as well because it's more fun.

2. MarcV

MarcV Loaded Pockets

I have all three and if I could have only one, it'd be the Lamy 2000. The Namiki Falcon may be a better sketch pen because its strokes are more brush-like. The VP is as handy as a clicky ballpoint and that's pleasurable, especially if you only want a signature pen. But the L2k writes like a dream, fills via piston, weighs little but resists wear, and looks good. It deserves its half century of success.

So, get the Lamy, enjoy it, and later buy the others so you can write a recommendation like you just read. :)

3. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

I had heard that the L2ks have had some pretty terrible QC issues with nibs lately. Not sure how true that is but it bears consideration methinks.

4. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

4.875" posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

3.5" unposted without cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

Love them. Love Mrs. Pettimore's photography as well:
    [​IMG]

Sachsen, CitizenSnips and foxmo like this.
  7. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

I've had my eye on that ultra green. Do you like it? I went with Diamine Apple Glory for my green ink choice.

8. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

Right now I have two greens that I use, this one and the Private Reserve Sherwood Green. Like them both.

9. Phyxiator

Phyxiator Loaded Pockets

Soup, brisboy, ArnieJB and 1 other person like this.
  10. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

ahh Fountain Pens! love em! I currently use a Lamy Al-Star Aluminum in all black with Fine point. My other pens include the Monte Verde Stealth (M) nib, and a Levenger L-tech with was converted to fine point. Would love to get a hold of a Rotring 600 finepoint at a reasonable price.

O.J. likes this.
  11. O.J.

O.J. Loaded Pockets

600's are cool. I had a gold nibbed, knurled 600 which I sold a couple of years ago. Still regret it!

12. Firemission

Firemission Loaded Pockets

O.J. if I could get a hold of one in the Lava finish or the Black old school one that's knurled that would be great. I find them from time to time on Ebay. Too rich for my blood for now. Every review I've read by someone who has had the pleasure to use and own one has regretted parting with such a nice writing instrument as the 600

13. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

If they are such a pleasure to use why do people sell them? This is something I have often pondered and never had answered satisfactorily.

14. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Fountain pens can be a lot like knives or any other EDC item in that a particular pen may not be the right "fit" for a certain person. The pilot VP is a commonly referenced EDC pen, but some people can't use it with the clip being part of the grip. Same with the safari, some can't use a pen with a triangular grip. A lot of places, people don't have the option of trying out or handling one before purchase. I gotta buy the pen to try it, and if it doesn't work out, pass it along elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

MarcV likes this.
  15. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I get that but it doesn't address my question. This is directed at people who say that their pen was a pleasure to use. I have to assume - without any other qualifiers - that this means the points raised about the Pilot VP or the (Lamy-type) triangular grip does not apply. Still leaving me to wonder why someone would get rid of something that they stated that they enjoyed.

Obviously there may be a non-use reason such as economic or some such. Yet barring those... :confused:

edited one time for a split infinitive for which I did not care.

16. Calgary316

Calgary316 Empty Pockets

[​IMG]
    IMGP0536 von Phyxiator auf Flickr[/quote]

This is a cool collection of pens. What are the clear pens?

17. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Ooh, guessing games again!

The one on the left looks like a TWSBI 580, the one on the right looks like a Noodler's Ahab.

Incidentally, the two green bodied pens on the left of the picture look like Reform 1745s. If that is so, @Phyxiator, how well do they write?

18. Phyxiator

Phyxiator Loaded Pockets

Except for the fact that there are two Ahabs, you're 100% correct, nice job!
    Regarding the Reforms: They're cheap pens. I acquired ten of them in bulk for 10€, 5 of which were pretty smooth writers, the rest not so much. The nib is not graduated although I'd say it's a medium and offers some semi-flex, which is nice. They're really slim, though.

The one on the upper right corner in the box is a TWSBI Diamond 580, the other one on the right hand side is a Noodler's Ahab inked with Diamine Oxblood. Davy was right ;)

19. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Nice. When you say slim though, what diameter are they? Just curious as I thought I may add one to my little collection of oddities. :)

20. Phyxiator

Phyxiator Loaded Pockets

It's 9.7mm at the thickest point and 8.9mm at the grip section. Not really needle thin pen but too thin for me to use for longer periods of time - I use an Ahab for taking notes in university, so you might say I like thicker pens.