1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

One of these days I'll get another VP. I kinda miss mine, but I have a few other FPs to play with.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

2. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

The Pilot VP really is the perfect EDC work pen for me. It just writes and writes SO smooth and all day long (as long as there's ink) . The Liliput will hopefully be my weekend carry pen.

3. MarcV

MarcV Loaded Pockets

I planned that, too, but ended up dedicating the Liliput to sketching and I carry it in the zipper pocket in my Midori notebook. For pants pocket carry, i alternate between the Kaweco AL Sport (same extra fine nib as the Liliput) and the Pilot Petit1 whose fine nib is slightly wider but whose price is astonishingly cheap. It's so cheap that I don't pay any attention to the scratches from my right front pocket flashlight or jacknife, whereas each loss of black coating on the AL Sport irritates me enough that I've taken to carrying it in an old Sensa pen case that happens to be exactly the right (short) length.

You might think about finding a slipcase for the Liliput if you carry it with abrasive neighbors.

As for the VP, if you have a shirt pocket or jacket inside pocket, I'm with you. It's a terrific and very handy pen to carry and use.

4. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I have been using my Kaweco Al Sport (Raw Aluminum /Medium) as my weekend carry pen, but like the smaller form factor of the Liliput. It will sit in a pocket with a leather wallet, so it should stay in good shape. I appreciate the input.

MarcV likes this.
  5. ejl

ejl Empty Pockets

Have finally surrendered and bought not one but two Kaweco Sport fountain pens with extra fine nibs along with an array of different cartridges. I've been using a Faber Castell basic fountain pen for a few months but the weight is a problem after using it all day thus I decided against using it as an EDC. Do any other Kaweco Sport users fill their own ink with the converter or do you guys all use cartridges. How successful is the converter? I've never used one and am a bit nervous to start.

6. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I don't bother with the converters for either my Al Sport or Pilot VP. I just refill my cartridges with an ink syringe using bottled ink. You get maximum ink capacity that way.

7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Wait, I can use Pilot cartridges in my VP? I hate fiddling with the converter and it holds so little ink...

--flatline

8. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, the standard Pilot cartridge fits and holds so much more ink than the converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Once my VP runs out of ink, I'm totally switching from the converter to a refilled cartridge (the same as I've been doing for my Metropolitan).

--flatline

ArnieJB likes this.
  10. ejl

ejl Empty Pockets

Kaweco Sports arrived this morning along with a plethora of inks to try. So far I'm very impressed at the pen quality. Finally something that writes well in my Moleskine notebook

[​IMG]

11. O.J.

O.J. Loaded Pockets

Same here. More ink and less of a mess.

12. Judson Smith

Judson Smith Loaded Pockets

I love them, I have a ton of fountain pens and inks, but edc a cheapie pilot varsity, that way if it grows legs and leaves my desk, I'm not out too much. I keep one of my nicer pen in my pocket most of the time.

13. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Loaded Pockets

Just bought a couple of Kaweco pens (Classic Sport and AL Sport). I bought a Monteverde mini-converter, which fits the Classic Sport. Haven't tried it in the AL Sport. It holds a pitiful amount of ink. Not going to bother with it much longer. I fully endorse the tip from ArnieJB and others: just refill the cartridges with a syringe (you can buy blunt syringes from Goulet Pen Company). The cartridges last much longer than the Monteverde converter. Don't expect that the Kaweco squeeze converter is going to be much better.

14. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Just got this Kaweco Liliput in yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sachsen, A144 and northwest like this.
  15. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I've been EDCing one of my TWSBI 580s the most. But I recently picked up a set of Pilot 78G from China and have been carrying the fine and medium nibbed ones as well.

That Lilliput looks like a great little EDC pen!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

16. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

How long is the Lilliput without the cap posted?

--flatline

17. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I recently picked up a Pilot Elite EF off of the bay to use for editing stuff at work. It was something like $22 shipped with the Pilot squeeze converter included. It has been great - very smooth nib, good ink flow, etc. I use a Lamy Al-Star with an EF nib for the same thing and it also does a great job. That particular Lamy was my very first fountain pen, although it originally came with a medium nib, and has always been one of my favorites.

18. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

New Black Carbonesque Pilot VP!
    [​IMG]

O.J. and Minibear453 like this.
  19. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

how does it write? Trying to decide between that, I a lamy 2000or the pilot namiki falcon...

20. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Can't compare to the Lamy or Falcon, but it writes like a dream. I use a medium nib.